Overstayed 10 days and now can't get Visa

Hello,

I'm from Egypt, a country whose nationals are treated a little more "strictly" than other nationalities.

For example, I can never do a Visa run to Cambodia or get an automatic 30-day visa once I land in Thailand.

The only way for me to obtain a Thai visa is from my consulate in Egypt. The visa is for 60 days only.

Last year, when my 60 days wereover, I went to an Immigration Office in Pattaya and extended my visa for 30 more days for 1,900 baht charge.

But after 90 days, I had an infection in my left leg which made it impossible for me to travel. My left foot was inflamed and puffy that I could not fit a flip-flop into it.

I overstayed 10 days, re-scheduled my return flight, and once I was ready to travel I went to the airport and paid 5000 baht fine for overstay (500 x 10) and they stamped that into my passport.

This year, I got rejected a Thai visa. The immigration officer was not very happy that I overstayed 10 days. I tried to explain my case but he said the Madame Consul needs to review my application.

The Consul refused my application and refused even to meet me face to face, she was only giving orders to the immigration officers and they relaying it to me.

I was so depressed and devastated that I left the consulate without even asking if I was "black-listed" to a "persona non-grata" or this was a temporary rejection and I can apply again later.

My question to you guys what advice do you have for me?

The problem is with the overstay stamps. I figured if I tried to issue a new passport (and report my current one stolen). this will give me a clean-slate passport and maybe I can apply with that.

Someone also advised me to apply under a travel agency and not do it myself. A representative from a travel agency with about 15 or 20 passports drop them all at once at the immigration officer window and returns later to collect them.

I was hoping maybe I could "meld" with the other tourists or honey-mooners who recruited a travel agency to do their visa work for them?

But will they have my name on a list?

Please any advice appreciated.

it is not allowed on here to ask about losing your passport to gain entry into Thailand. Also your details including name and Date of birth are registered on the system. In the UK if you lose a passport, then on the back page of the new one there is a statement stating that you lost the previous one and the old passport number.

You are not blacklisted from Thailand. You unfortunately got a excessively strict consular officer that denied your application that noticed your overstay.

As said you could of gotten an extension because of your inability to travel with a letter from a doctor stating you could no travel.

You could could try applying again through a travel agent and just hope that it is not rejected again.

Having a new passport might help to get a visa because the consular section at the embassy does not have easy access to immigration records.

It has been mentioned in other threads on this forum that illness is not an excuse for overstay. Illness can however be used as a reason for applying for an extension. If one is too ill to go to immigration oneself I believe someone else can apply on your behalf.

AFAIK as an Egyptian you can get 90 day stay in Malaysia with no visa, and 30 day stay in Indonesia with a Visa on Arrival for USD $25.00. Similar possibilities exist for Laos and Cambodia.

I suggest you take your 30 days in Thailand, then spend some time visiting neighboring counties. A 30 day stay in Thailand with no overstay, and some stamps showing you have been a tourist in neighboring countries may help you when you reapply for a Thai visa later.

As a bonus, you might just like it in the neighboring countries! There is a whole world in South East Asia which is outside of Pattaya.

Good luck.

You post almost completely incorrect.

The OP is from Egypt and does not get a 30 day visa exempt entry to Thailand. His only option is to apply for a tourist visa and may not be allowed to apply for a visa anywhere else other than in Egypt.

• Like 2

it is not allowed on here to ask about losing your passport to gain entry into Thailand. Also your details including name and Date of birth are registered on the system. In the UK if you lose a passport, then on the back page of the new one there is a statement stating that you lost the previous one and the old passport number.

Why you assume that a passport has to get lost in order to get an new one, and why do you assume that other countries have the same rules as the UK?

The OP can look himself at what are his options to get a new passport in his country. That would avoid him time and money spent getting a visa in Malaysia, if he doesn't fancy that idea.

• Like 1

I suggest you take your 30 days in Thailand....

You post almost completely incorrect.

The OP is from Egypt and does not get a 30 day visa exempt entry to Thailand. His only option is to apply for a tourist visa and may not be allowed to apply for a visa anywhere else other than in Egypt.

Right you are ubonjoe. I overlooked the fact that Egyptians don't get 30 day visa exemption on arrival.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the OP may not be able to apply for a visa in any country other than Egypt. In which case he could not apply in Malaysia.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

Also, thanks for pointing out that the OP cannot apply for a visa in any country other than Egypt. He cannot apply in Malaysia.

He can certainly apply in Malaysia. Witnessed with my own eyes when obtaining Tourist visa in Penang, together with a variety of other nationals, none of them thereby residing.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the OP cannot apply for a visa in any country other than Egypt. He cannot apply in Malaysia.

He can certainly apply in Malaysia. Witnessed with my own eyes when obtaining Tourist visa in Penang, together with a variety of other nationals, none of them thereby residing.

You are not blacklisted.. Go to KL, apply at the Thai Embassy there and you will certainly get accepted for a 60 day visa. 100%... Easy.

He's in Egypt. Do you think he's going to hop on a plane and fly to Malaysia with the hope of getting a visa to Thailand?

I would assume he'd first need to get a visa to Malaysia, book a flight to Malaysia, probably a return ticket in order to board the plane, pay for accommodation in Malaysia, apply for a visa to Thailand (keeping in mind that the nationals of some countries are not granted visas as readily as others), then travel to Thailand where Immigrations may or may not admit him. He says he was denied a visa before because of the overstay, but who knows if there was some other reason and, given the letter sent out to Thai Embassies and Consulates, who knows how strict consular officers may be in future.

100%... Easy.

Right.

Declaring a passport in your possession lost is fraud and requires lying on a police report.

Just drop it in a pool of water and ask for a new one because it is damaged.

"what happened"

"I dropped it and it fell into a pool of water".

Easy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why you assume that a passport has to get lost in order to get an new one, and why do you assume that other countries have the same rules as the UK?

The OP can look himself at what are his options to get a new passport in his country. That would avoid him time and money spent getting a visa in Malaysia, if he doesn't fancy that idea.

A USA passport can be replaced anytime during the time the passport is valid, for a fee of course. Theoretically one can get a new passport a week or a month after receiving their present passport. No reason needed, but "I don't like the look of the picture, or "it got wet" or whatever could be a good reason. Egypt may have some very different rules. The UK rule to print the previous passport number in the back of the new one sound real good to me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A USA passport can be replaced anytime during the time the passport is valid, for a fee of course. Theoretically one can get a new passport a week or a month after receiving their present passport. No reason needed, but "I don't like the look of the picture, or "it got wet" or whatever could be a good reason. Egypt may have some very different rules. The UK rule to print the previous passport number in the back of the new one sound real good to me.

Ah, ok. Here's another link, to the US embassy in BKK, which says (case by case basis) 3 months up to 1 year. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/lost_stolen_passports.html I guess the 'case by case' is what you mentioned. But, it would also seem to suggest that 1 year is the max?

Edited by John1thru10

Also, for US passports, if a passport is reported as 'lost', the new passport is only valid for a short time - like, 1 to 6 months, depending on what they decide.

That is not correct unless a person has reported multiple lost or stolen passports or has a loan from the state department.

See: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html#ReplaceLostStln

At the current time - although i don't think it's been mentioned in any official statement - any type of overstay in the past (even years ago), is sometimes being brought up by officials as a big issue. Myself, I found myself being grilled with a great deal of hostility about a short overstay from several years ago, the last time I entered. I was taken off guard, because at the time they couldn't have cared less. And it wasn't ever mentioned again until last month (even I had forgotten about it after 3 years or so). I mean, they obviously let me in, but it was surprising, and a bit tense for about 10 minutes.

So I think the OP's story might be more common at this time.

And, at the same, the other day a number of people reported having overstayed up to a year and a half (currently), just paid a fine, and then got a new visa.

I'm not really one to complain about Thailand, as I love the culture (a lot more than the west, frankly). But one place where I don't understand it here, is in terms of the new visa crackdown business. It often seems totally arbitrary, and subjective in the way it's being applied. If one guy has a problem for a 10 day overstay, and another person has no problem for a year and half overstay, then it's weird.

Edited by John1thru10

Also, for US passports, if a passport is reported as 'lost', the new passport is only valid for a short time - like, 1 to 6 months, depending on what they decide.

That is not correct unless a person has reported multiple lost or stolen passports or has a loan from the state department.

See: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html#ReplaceLostStln

Hmmm, that's not what I read on the BKK US embassy site. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/lost_stolen_passports.html It says 'case by case', so I guess maybe that's what that means. It does seem to say that it's a 1 year max, though.

Edited by John1thru10

Hmmm, that's not what I read on the BKK US embassy site. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/lost_stolen_passports.html It says 'case by case', so I guess maybe that's what that means. It does seem to say that it's a 1 year max, though.

That is for emergency passports there is no mention of the validity for normal passports on that page.

• Emergency passports are issued on a case by case basis, with validity period of three months up to one year, depending on circumstances. You will need to present evidence, such as a flight itinerary, to prove you have a genuine need for an emergency passport. Emergency passports require a minimum of 24 hours to process. We are prohibited from adding additional visa pages to an emergency passport.

• Emergency passports are issued on a case by case basis, with validity period of three months up to one year, depending on circumstances. You will need to present evidence, such as a flight itinerary, to prove you have a genuine need for an emergency passport. Emergency passports require a minimum of 24 hours to process. We are prohibited from adding additional visa pages to an emergency passport.

Ah - ok smile.png That was the link that came up when googling 'lost passport us embassy bangkok'. I would assume that a lost passport is considered an emergency passport, when overseas.

Why is the OP, like many other non-Thai persons, so distraught about not being able to stay in Thailand visit Thailand again?

Why are you so distraught about someone esle's business, is the next question.

This thread (or your comment) is hardly the worst example of this. But I DO wish that TV forum could lose all the judgemental attitudes about people's questions. A strangers judgements about another strangers character - based only on what kind of visa they have or don't have - is just totally irrelevant. This 'illegal working' thing (assumption and even reality) is just barely relevant in reality. Thai unemployment is just about the lowest in the world (very factually), so that's hardly 'destroying Thailand'. I'm not putting down Thailand to say that, but rather, the posters here who try to use the excuse to be mean to each other all the time.

Almost every thread here devolves instantly into starngers telling other strangers to 'get out of thailand', and it's so childish, judgemental and right wing - I actually just assume those people to be jealous about something. Or, otherwise trying to pump up their own self image, as a way of overcompensating for something. And moderators (sorry) seem to be totally supportive of that attitude, while condemning the people who stand up to those voices (I've seen it a lot).

When I got the email spam recently, about how TV has opened a new bar - I hope it goes well for whoever is invested in that, but - my first thought was 'Is that a place for really judgemental men to tell everyone to get out of Thailand?' Because, that's the majority of what people say here to each other, isnt' it?

For me, when I read about people involved in violence, or illegal stuff like drugs, or see the people around me doing creepy things with young girls who wouldn't want them in any other part of the world - yes, I kind of hope they aren't in Thailand a long time. But when it's just some guy I know nothing about, who isn't being rude to anyone by asking a question, then what's the big deal?

Me distraught? To quote the OP...

... I was so depressed and devastated that I left the consulate without even asking if I was "black-listed" to a "persona non-grata" ...

Now THAT'S being distraught. Even going so far as to suggest an illegal act (false claim of lost passport) as a route to get back to Nirvana? Happily, some others with more concern than either you or I have for the OP's personal well-being have already warned him off that non-solution.

But you are right. This thread is not the place to ponder why so many foreigners have such a rabid hankering for LOS. But one can't but wonder why. Is there something in the water maybe?

I don't think I am being judgmental (but I am).

Ah - ok smile.png That was the link that came up when googling 'lost passport us embassy bangkok'. I would assume that a lost passport is considered an emergency passport, when overseas.

A lost passport can ONLY be considered as LOST, then if you are overseas when said passport is 'lost', you can apply for an Emergency Passport at your Embassy to allow you to be able to fly to your home country in order to renew your 'lost' passport....

Why is the OP, like many other non-Thai persons, so distraught about not being able to stay in Thailand visit Thailand again?

Why are you so distraught about someone esle's business, is the next question.

This thread (or your comment) is hardly the worst example of this. But I DO wish that TV forum could lose all the judgemental attitudes about people's questions. A strangers judgements about another strangers character - based only on what kind of visa they have or don't have - is just totally irrelevant. This 'illegal working' thing (assumption and even reality) is just barely relevant in reality. Thai unemployment is just about the lowest in the world (very factually), so that's hardly 'destroying Thailand'. I'm not putting down Thailand to say that, but rather, the posters here who try to use the excuse to be mean to each other all the time.

Almost every thread here devolves instantly into starngers telling other strangers to 'get out of thailand', and it's so childish, judgemental and right wing - I actually just assume those people to be jealous about something. Or, otherwise trying to pump up their own self image, as a way of overcompensating for something. And moderators (sorry) seem to be totally supportive of that attitude, while condemning the people who stand up to those voices (I've seen it a lot).

When I got the email spam recently, about how TV has opened a new bar - I hope it goes well for whoever is invested in that, but - my first thought was 'Is that a place for really judgemental men to tell everyone to get out of Thailand?' Because, that's the majority of what people say here to each other, isnt' it?

For me, when I read about people involved in violence, or illegal stuff like drugs, or see the people around me doing creepy things with young girls who wouldn't want them in any other part of the world - yes, I kind of hope they aren't in Thailand a long time. But when it's just some guy I know nothing about, who isn't being rude to anyone by asking a question, then what's the big deal?

Every forum has this problem, not just thaivisa.com. But even in your own post you are judging others just the same as you are critical of the poster you have commented on. So what is your point?

The OP is asking what you (the open public) think about his situation? I think he should look to another country where he can get a visa without having to commit a possible illegal activity (destroying a legitimate passport). I think he should be aware of the consequences of an overstay (legitimate or not) in a country that has the ability to restrict your admittance. I think the OP is chasing girls around because he is unable to in his own country.

As for your comment that the majority of what people say is to get out of Thailand....perhaps get yourself out of the general public forum and into some of the more informative and entertaining forums....there is a WHOLE lot more to this website then the little world of general topics.

• Like 1

A lost passport can ONLY be considered as LOST, then if you are overseas when said passport is 'lost', you can apply for an Emergency Passport at your Embassy to allow you to be able to fly to your home country in order to renew your 'lost' passport....

For the US you don't have to go home to get a new passport. That is why they say the emergency passport is on a case by case basis. If you don't have an urgent need for a passport within 2 weeks they would not do it because you can have a new passport within that amount of time. And it would be valid for 10 years unless you were a serial passport looser.

Declaring a passport in your possession lost is fraud and requires lying on a police report.

Just drop it in a pool of water and ask for a new one because it is damaged.

"what happened"

"I dropped it and it fell into a pool of water".

Easy.

Does that not also require lieing in a police report? Why not just say " I dropped it in to a pool of water so I can get a new passport" then you will not be telling lies? I know the answer to that.

i flew home may 26..i made a mistake and had a 1 day over stay..the immigration officer kept me there for 5 minutes..asking questions...then called me over to another desk..more senior officer..more questions...then got a over stay stamped in my passport...that was just 1 day..

they are tight now on any over stay

i flew home may 26..i made a mistake and had a 1 day over stay..the immigration officer kept me there for 5 minutes..asking questions...then called me over to another desk..more senior officer..more questions...then got a over stay stamped in my passport...that was just 1 day..

they are tight now on any over stay

Did you paid 500 Bt or not ?

Going from desk to desk is quite normal. The officer making the report may not be the same collecting the fine.

Also, they can talk and ask, but that won't ban you from returning.

After arriving back from the Embassy so distraught with being refused a Visa, it would be understandable if you left your Passport in a trouser pocket which then went through a Washing Machine cycle. Oh Dear! I've ruined my passport...........need to get a new one.

Not suggesting anything.........but I know what I'd do in your situation.

Just because you have a visa ,does not automatically mean you will be allowed into Thailand, A couple that I travelled with from Penang were refused entry even with a visa, They were asked to show they had 20.000 Bht. each ,and as they could not,were refused entry. Furthermore ,everything they owned was in Thailand,inc house and furniture.