Gemstones

angelsephemera

I don't know about CM but I have seen lots of shops trading uncut rubies in Mae Sai. People sit on the roadside sorting through small piles of them. I bought a few for a friend studying gemstones in Hong Kong. I can't remember the price but they were cheap 100-200 baht. This was about 10 years ago though.

I don't know about CM but I have seen lots of shops trading uncut rubies in Mae Sai. People sit on the roadside sorting through small piles of them. I bought a few for a friend studying gemstones in Hong Kong. I can't remember the price but they were cheap 100-200 baht. This was about 10 years ago though.

Caveat emptor... nowhere more so than in Mae Sai.

For me it didn't matter. It was small money and my friend could work out if they were fake or quality. They looked like small pieces of candy to me. Check it out if you are ever in Mae Sai. You have to go down the side and back streets from main road around the border area.

• 1 month later...
Shiraz Jewelry on Tapae Road specializes in gem stones. I bought our wedding rings there and saw that they have a variety of gem stones to chose from. I heard the shop has been around for 32 years, thats how old I am!

Shiraz Jewelry on Tapae Road specializes in gem stones. I bought our wedding rings there and saw that they have a variety of gem stones to chose from. I heard the shop has been around for 32 years, thats how old I am!

Yes they have been there a long long time,and iam sure what he sells must

be Kosher as he would not have lasted as long, but unless you know what 

you are doing ,i.e. what the value of the stones are,gem stones prices are

just what the seller hopes he  can get,where Gold,Silver have world traded

prices.

regards Worgeordie

Shiraz sells both natural and man-made stones. They do not pretend that the man-made are natural. The owner of Shiraz has been the head of the Baha'i community for many, many years, and is considered to be one of the most honest and fair people in Chiang Mai, and offers his natural stones at honest prices. I've never heard a single complaint about this jewelery company in the 15 years that I've dealt with it.  The comment made by the poster above is the first, and unless proven, is libelous.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...