Non o visa from Laos Requirements as of June 2014

Dear all,

I need to travel to Loas to get a non-o visa. I am legally married and have all the documentation that goes with that.

My first question is flying from Bangkok, where, in your opinion, is better (cheap/quickly processed/hassle free) to go? Savannakhet or Vientiane?

2. What're the required documents? I have been informed that I need bank statements showing income, degree and transcripts and I'm not sure if that is what I need as I have read different things online.

3. I have also been told that my wife needs to go with me, is this so? Should she go as a precautionary measure?

4. Recently in the news I saw that the visa requirements have become stricter so are posts I've read on here from January etc about the amount of documents required and ease of getting non-o now inaccurate?

Thanks so much for your responses.

You can get a single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet. Savannakhet also does multiple entry visas.

You will just need your marriage certificate (plus a copy),signed and dated copies of you wife's house book and ID card. You will need no financial proof.

Your wife will not need to go with you.

Most of what you wrote about is for getting an extension of stay at immigration not visas.

You can get a single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet. Savannakhet also does multiple entry visas.

You will just need your marriage certificate (plus a copy),signed and dated copies of you wife's house book and ID card. You will need no financial proof.

Most of what you wrote about is for getting an extension of stay at immigration not visas.

Thanks for your reply.

Ubonjoe is absolutely correct. Go to Savannakhet, it is the soft option - much more relaxed with far fewer people making applications. I was there a couple of weeks ago and obtained a Non O for looking after my young son and they were issuing multi entry visas no problem. You can get direct flights from BKK to Savannakhet, but they are costly and infrequent and may involve an extra day in Savannakhet. Maybe better to fly to Khon Kaen or Roi et and take a bus to Mukdahan.

• Like 2

Fly to Ubon Ratchathani or Nakhon Phanom. We use Ubon and reserve a ride with Ploy Palace Hotel in Mukdahan @ 350 baht. There are also other vans for hire at the airport. If you fly Nok Air to Mukdahan via Nakhon Phanom, the ticket includes a Ploy Palace Hotel van in the price.

The Mukdahan bus station has regular runs to Savannakhet, so some might prefer a van from Ubon bus station to Muk.

Ubonjoe is absolutely correct. Go to Savannakhet, it is the soft option - much more relaxed with far fewer people making applications. I was there a couple of weeks ago and obtained a Non O for looking after my young son and they were issuing multi entry visas no problem. You can get direct flights from BKK to Savannakhet, but they are costly and infrequent and may involve an extra day in Savannakhet. Maybe better to fly to Khon Kaen or Roi et and take a bus to Mukdahan.

Laos air is now flying daily to Savannakhet. the cost is about USD120 each way.

Apologies for this OT post - is there anything of interest in Mukdahan for a Farang and his Thai accomplice ? I seem to recall Stickman banging on about the town in one of his columns - 'the real Thailand' yada yada - but other than that it seems to get very few keystrokes. Savannakhet sounds like it might be a welcome change from some of the other Consulates in the region.

L_Mukdahan_en.jpg

Fly to Ubon Ratchathani or Nakhon Phanom. We use Ubon and reserve a ride with Ploy Palace Hotel in Mukdahan @ 350 baht. There are also other vans for hire at the airport. If you fly Nok Air to Mukdahan via Nakhon Phanom, the ticket includes a Ploy Palace Hotel van in the price.

The Mukdahan bus station has regular runs to Savannakhet, so some might prefer a van from Ubon bus station to Muk.

Air Asia flights to Nakhon Phanom also have a fly/ride service to Mukdahan now. Ask the driver to drop you off near the bridge. Arrives at Muk around 6pm in the evening.

for a non o year visa because of thai wife you dont need to go abroad at all.

just go to your immigration office and give the papers requiered as i do every year.

but for this you need to have 400 000 bath in a thai bank on your name only for at least 2 mounth minimum before applying that kind of visa otherwise forget it.

your wife as to go and sign all the document also, she will be asked many personal question, better all of you knows the answerd before

the rest is spending time in the office and bla bla....!

coffee1.gif

What documents were required for the Non O for looking after your son?

"for a non o year visa because of thai wife you dont need to go abroad at all.

just go to your immigration office and give the papers requiered as i do every year.

but for this you need to have 400 000 bath in a thai bank on your name only for at least 2 mounth minimum before applying that kind of visa otherwise forget it."

That's not a visa. It's an extension of stay.

• Like 1

for a non o year visa because of thai wife you dont need to go abroad at all.

but for this you need to have 400 000 bath in a thai bank on your name only for at least 2 mounth minimum before applying that kind of visa otherwise forget it.

your wife as to go and sign all the document also, she will be asked many personal question, better all of you knows the answerd before

the rest is spending time in the office and bla bla....!

coffee1.gif

"...for a non o year visa because of thai wife you dont need to go abroad at all."

You are applying for an extension of stay, not a visa.

Thanks for all the info, so my wife doesn't need to go with me and I can take only minimal documents (I may take extras just in case though).

Could anyone or does anyone have the number for the Thai Embassy in Savannakhet?

Cheers

What documents were required for the Non O for looking after your son?

You must be the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization. If not see: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

Thanks for all the info, so my wife doesn't need to go with me and I can take only minimal documents (I may take extras just in case though).

Could anyone or does anyone have the number for the Thai Embassy in Savannakhet?

Cheers

Contact details as requested.

http://embassy-finder.com/thailand_in_savannakhet_laos

I will also be visiting Savannakhet next week

GL

Cheers

Your wife does need to go with you. Just be sure she signs and dates the paperwork before you go.

You will not need anymore than what I posted earlier.

You can take other documents but don't attach them to the application. Only show them if asked for.

The consulate's (the embassy is in Vientiane) website is down but you can get contact info on it when it comes back up. http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/

Hi Mario2008

A question my wife legally adopted our daughter. My daughter is now 22 years old. I have been with my wife for 30 years but didn't do anything but look after her as my daughter since her birth. Can I be made her legal father as you said in point #2 of your attachment in this thread? I am hoping that with me being her legal father she will have an easier time in getting Canadian passport.

Thanks

Can please advise.

Can u still get a tourist visa for Thailand from lao.

I currently have one month left and am after help in what to do.

Tk u

Had hoped ubonjoe would answer this, but per the earlier posts it would appear that Savannakhet may be your best option in Laos. I did Vientiane some years back but the size of the queue and the wait time to get your passport back are intolerable IMO. Whatever you do, I suggest you do it well before the August 12 deadline.

Whatever you do, I suggest you do it well before the August 12 deadline.

There is no August 12th deadline for getting tourist visas. It is only for exempt entries and possibly those entering on tourist visas that have bunches of them back to back.

Can please advise.

Can u still get a tourist visa for Thailand from lao.

I currently have one month left and am after help in what to do.

Tk u

Yes you can still get tourist visas at the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate Savannakhet. Both do 2 entry visas.

TIP: if you plan to take the bus between Mukdahan to Savanakhet and if you're not a citizen of Russia, Luxembourg, Switzerland or an ASEAN country, you will need a visa on arrival. As the bus doesn't wait a long time at the border, you'd better have your form ready before. You can fill it on this page:

http://www.laosvisas.com/apply.htm

When trying to submit this form it says that it takes 4 days to process and wants me to pay $95, from what I gather it will be cheaper if I just walk up to Lao immigration. My Nok Air bus drops me at the bridge anyway so I'm on my own.

When trying to submit this form it says that it takes 4 days to process and wants me to pay $95, from what I gather it will be cheaper if I just walk up to Lao immigration. My Nok Air bus drops me at the bridge anyway so I'm on my own.

Remember to bring crisp $5 and $10 bills to avoid being overcharged when paying in THB.