No appointed MPs discussed: Thai EC

webfact

MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
No appointed MPs discussed : EC

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Election Commission secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong yesterday denied that the EC had discussed the possibility of having appointed MPs as part of the junta-led political reform plan.

Puchong was speaking after Defence Ministry permanent secretary Surasak Kanjanarat, who heads the reform panel of the National Council for Peace and Order, invited the EC to discuss revamping laws to ensure free and fair elections.

He said the EC pointed out some outdated, unclear laws and some loopholes that made it hard for the commission to implement and manage elections.

He said the EC would meet on Thursday to propose changes and solutions to problems.

He acknowledged that the reform panel headed by Surasak had asked the EC about reports about appointed MPs.

He said the EC told the panel that it had never heard such reports and never considered such a possibility.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-appointed-MPs-discussed-EC-30237473.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-01

Really, this is getting absurd.

Whatever makes them think MPs are even needed. It is only cabinet ministers who are needed... not members of parliament.

These idiots don't know the first thing about government structures and they are running the country.

God help Thailand.

• Like 1

Whatever makes them think MPs are even needed. It is only cabinet ministers who are needed... not members of parliament.

These idiots don't know the first thing about government structures and they are running the country.

God help Thailand.

they dont know either nothing about economics.... i bet this country will be completely broke by the end of october.

May Budha save thailand.

Unfortunate for some as they can't go to the fireworks on 4th July. Probably a result of no elections and the taking over of a country? This is sounding like the fishing industry outcome, 'give us 2 years?'

The longer they wait the worse the International community see's problems in Thailand.

A few appointed MP's are good for real democracy if they are for small minorities that are not represented in Parliamnemtt I remember in Sri Lanka we had 3 apponted European MPs for the large European community. Thailand could have a few for unrepresented hill tribes etc.

• Like 1

A few appointed MP's are good for real democracy if they are for small minorities that are not represented in Parliamnemtt I remember in Sri Lanka we had 3 apponted European MPs for the large European community. Thailand could have a few for unrepresented hill tribes etc.

Yes. It is certain that hill tribes people are unable to vote intelligently, because they are hill tribes. People in Bangkok should choose their representatives in parliament, because the idea of a constituency including hill tribe areas where hill tribe people would vote for their representative is absurd. One man-one vote has its limits after all. Also Isan. And the North area, people there should be "guided" in who represents them. And the deep South, they can't possibly think they are capable of voting equally with real people. Bangkokians and the people of the near-South, they should be allowed to exercise their privileges as generally superior and able to vote, so long as candidates are carefully vetted before the polls.

• Like 1

Thailand could try modifying their system for elections eg

New Zealand ( the first independent country to give woman the vote in 1893 ) actually set up 4 Maori only seats in Parliament in 1868 which although meant to be only temporary, lasted until 1966 when the system changed to representative and now there are 7 Maori seats. Not appointed MP's but Maori candidates and only Maoris can vote for their representatives, but many Maoris choose to enroll for the 70 regular seats

I expect an interim government will consist of junta appointees until the elections promised in October 2014. Gen. Prayuth has stated his concerns that all the NCPO reforms might be amended or negated by elected politicians and that he would not allow that to happen. So just speculating in that vain, the MP's might be elected for the House to demonstrate that democracy has been restored to Thailand but either have no legislative power to pass or amend laws, and/or the NCPO will have veto power over any legislation to assure its reforms remain in place. These possibilities would require changes to the 2007 constitution and since the next constitution will not be subjected to any public referendum, such changes can occur unopposed.

• Like 1

God help Thailand.

they dont know either nothing about economics.... i bet this country will be completely broke by the end of october.

May Budha save thailand.

Sounds similar to the previous government who were fond of throwing around proposals worth 100s of billions of Baht without any documented detail or public participation where they could effect local communities.

• Like 1

I expect an interim government will consist of junta appointees until the elections promised in October 2014. Gen. Prayuth has stated his concerns that all the NCPO reforms might be amended or negated by elected politicians and that he would not allow that to happen. So just speculating in that vain, the MP's might be elected for the House to demonstrate that democracy has been restored to Thailand but either have no legislative power to pass or amend laws, and/or the NCPO will have veto power over any legislation to assure its reforms remain in place. These possibilities would require changes to the 2007 constitution and since the next constitution will not be subjected to any public referendum, such changes can occur unopposed.

Just correcting a typo, elections in October 2015

Just like the EC I'm not going to discuss appointed MPs rolleyes.gif

New Zealand ( the first independent country to give woman the vote in 1893 ) actually set up 4 Maori only seats in Parliament in 1868 which although meant to be only temporary, lasted until 1966 when the system changed to representative and now there are 7 Maori seats. Not appointed MP's but Maori candidates and only Maoris can vote for their representatives, but many Maoris choose to enroll for the 70 regular seats

Would you like to share that link with us as I don't believe the UK does.

If there is any appointed MP's or Senators then there will be no reform and we will all be able to see this as little more than a power grab by the Dear Leader.

The people of Thailand have the right to choose the wrong representation just like any other free country. Otherwise lets just call it the dictatorship that certain parties want

People do deserve to have the right to choose who they want - free from intimidation, fear, coercion, bribery and corruption.

If you believe Thaksin and his family were interested in a free and just democracy then good luck to you. They wanted a one family rule fiefdom in which they controlled everything - nothing could happen without their nod and their cut. No different perhaps to many other rich elite controlling families that still dominate throughout Asia. Every so often, one family comes along and wants it all, and get involved in a skit with the other families. Nothing to do with political ideology as understood and contextualized in the West and nothing to do with running the country for the benefit of all the people.

Right to choose who they and for sure the right to kick out any who are found to be compulsive liars, cheats, and act illegally.

One learns something new every day

"United Kingdom[edit]

Main article: All-women shortlists

Political parties are permitted to restrict the selection of their candidates in constituencies to a specific gender under the Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002; to date, only the Labour Party utilises the law."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_political_positions

The existence of unelected representatives is in my mind the root of the evil in the Thai society. You can not build a democracy around unelected representatives, impossible. But I`m just a stupid farlang which no Thai will listening to. wai2.gif

The existence of unelected representatives is in my mind the root of the evil in the Thai society. You can not build a democracy around unelected representatives, impossible. But I`m just a stupid farlang which no Thai will listening to. wai2.gif

The unelected Senators (roughly half the Senate) came about because the previous fully elected Senate was supposed to be non-partisan, however, they were not as Thaksin had bought them all off and all their independence and non-partisanship had evaporated.

If the change is to go back to a fully elected Senate, then they need to drop the feigned non-partisan aspect and have them run full on as partisan politicians.

Edited by Gus5
  • Like 1

"United Kingdom[edit]

Political parties are permitted to restrict the selection of their candidates in constituencies to a specific gender under the Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002; to date, only the Labour Party utilises the law."

Thanks rubl.

I'd always looked at that differently. They are not specifically setting aside seats for women, but allow political parties to restrict their candidate selection based on gender. They don't insist so many candidates are women or a certain % of MPs or candidates must be. No seats are specifically set aside in the UK, but a party can select candidates based on gender restrictions. That candidate would then have to take her chance at an election in which others standing against her may have been selected without gender restriction.

"United Kingdom[edit]

Thanks rubl.

I'd always looked at that differently. They are not specifically setting aside seats for women, but allow political parties to restrict their candidate selection based on gender. They don't insist so many candidates are women or a certain % of MPs or candidates must be. No seats are specifically set aside in the UK, but a party can select candidates based on gender restrictions. That candidate would then have to take her chance at an election in which others standing against her may have been selected without gender restriction.

Strictly speaking candidates would take their chance, but with socalled 'safe' constituencies and only one candidate for a given party ... ...