Frenchman noodle stand in Bangkok (china town)

Grindting

Is the French man still operating his street noodle stall in china town? My wife is asking as he did the best street food we've ever tasted in Thailand, REALLY good fresh noodle soup.

Was about 18 months ago. Seemed strange to see a westerner working as a street vender so thought he might be part of a documentary but no cameras and he was there for the full week we were in town. Heading back in 2 weeks and would be good if he's still operating

I believe this is the guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPRUR135aY

If the OP´s looking for the guy from YT, then I gotta say that his food was not exceptional anyway. And he did not have my favourite "Yam Naem" sad.pngbiggrin.png

But he isn´t selling noodle soup, haven´t seen him for quite a while now. Usually you could meet him right in front of the 7/11 from the video. Are thre more French guys in Chinatown selling food?

Edited by I knew this would happen

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm we were in china town last night and he WAS IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE as 18 months ago, selling the same noodles on the street corner.

This time he had a framed news paper article in front of his stall, reading 'famous French noodle vendor in Bangkok' from one of the thai news papers, with photos and an interview etc

The interesting part is that there were loads of police up the road just a few moments away. I'm interested how he can manage to operate ?

What kind of visa will be on, and surely he won't brave a work permit as it's just him and his wife, and surely this job of street vendor is reserved for Thais?

Paid off the police / mafia? (like all other street vendors) or what. Noodles are 40 baht and again my wife very much enjoyed herself. All customers other than us were thai and all were serious customers and enjoyed blabbering away In thai with him

Maybe he has permanent residence and doesnt need the paperwork.

Does a permament residence allow you to work?

Good question.

I though PR / citizenship takes a long time (decades) to achieve ? He's not that old, late 30s early 40s?

Part of the application process is that you are working and paying tax, as I understand it.

But lets not take this thread off topic.

Good question.

I though PR / citizenship takes a long time (decades) to achieve ? He's not that old, late 30s early 40s?

If married ita possible to get citizenship in 6 years.

No it doesn`t.

My guess is that by the fluent way he speaks Thai even if some of his Thai has a French accent, is one of the rare farangs in Thailand who has gained Thai citizenship.

Good luck to him, he is probably for-filling his dream of a new found freedom and gone native in Thailand. I have no doubts that many of us would love to be in the same situation. I know I would, but I`m not smart enough.

rolleyes.gif

No it doesn`t.

My guess is that by the fluent way he speaks Thai even if some of his Thai has a French accent, is one of the rare farangs in Thailand who has gained Thai citizenship.

Good luck to him, he is probably for-filling his dream of a new found freedom and gone native in Thailand. I have no doubts that many of us would love to be in the same situation. I know I would, but I`m not smart enough.

good move thailand. never can get enough of those street noodle sellers.cheesy.gif if only i had chosen the correct career path long ago. dash!

No it doesn`t.

haha, becoming a Thai, everybody's dream !!!

rolleyes.gif

No it doesn`t.

good move thailand. never can get enough of those street noodle sellers.cheesy.gif if only i had chosen the correct career path long ago. dash!

Your avatar is like something out of some warped fairy tale horror movie.

This gives me the creeps. No problem pal, I think you post is very funny and I like it, and I promise to like all your posts in the future.

No it doesn`t.

haha, becoming a Thai, everybody's dream !!!

So bitter and twisted about Thais. So what`s your sad story then?

A place I visited once or twice (they only serve yen ta fo) which is or at least was worth checking out is this.

Yen Ta Fo JC

Sala Daeng Soi 2, behind Silom Complex, 081-919-1233 or 081-814-9547. Open Mon-Sat 6-9:20am, 10am-1:30pm
A landmark for St. Joseph Convent students and office types alike, Yen Ta Fo JC, located behind Central Silom Complex, serves Silom’s most demanding yen ta fo lovers. Ignore the cook rudely belting out orders to the staff, the queue for a table and the parking lot backdrop, and slurp up some amazing crispy squid in a slightly spicy broth. This shop is strictly dedicated to yen ta fo, but you do have the option of choosing your noodles. If you think you might be hungry even after your first bowl (B40-45), make sure to order two at the same time, as the wait time here is quite long. Affordable prices and fantastic noodles make it worth it.

You choose wet or dry, simples, it's been there years, think it was even on a Bourdain show, was on some Tv programme anyway that's how I come to hear of it.

Whoever said it's just a matter of time before he gets caught... Well it's been 2 years since we first saw him and he was probably there before that too, and as I noted, there were no less than 8 police men just down the street a few metres away on the day we saw him (last week). So clearly he would have been caught a long time ago if he was doing anything wrong

We also saw a Turkish man outside platinum in pratunam with a big kebab shop, cutting up doners, also speaks fluent thai.

I'm sure there are some board members here who are enraged seeing farang work a job reserved for Thais and 'getting away' with it. Given the stress they sometimes have to go through just to get a simple visa

Whoever said it's just a matter of time before he gets caught... Well it's been 2 years since we first saw him and he was probably there before that too, and as I noted, there were no less than 8 police men just down the street a few metres away on the day we saw him (last week). So clearly he would have been caught a long time ago if he was doing anything wrong

We also saw a Turkish man outside platinum in pratunam with a big kebab shop, cutting up doners, also speaks fluent thai.

I'm sure there are some board members here who are enraged seeing farang work a job reserved for Thais and 'getting away' with it. Given the stress they sometimes have to go through just to get a simple visa

I can see your point, I could earn a decent living cooking my good food from a food cart.

I'm not enraged though, if someone wants to try it and bear the consequences that's their choice.

I could earn a small fortune selling food where there's farang tourists, one day I just may.

So bitter and twisted about Thais. So what`s your sad story then?

Beetlejuice again at his best. Maybe you should consider joining the NCPO, they'd love to get your help to "adjust" all mindsets that are only slightly against specific Thai aspects. Is it so hard to understand that there are some people out there who stand to their opinion, even though it's against the country they live in? That doesn't imply that they hate everything. Do you actually feel personally affected when people say something against your beloved Thailand?

I enjoy living in this country. But that doesn't mean that I have to like everything. And that I still live here should give you a hint that the positive things outweight the negative ones.