Thai Customs for passengers travelling in and out of Thailand.

neverdie

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wite has been getting emails on this very issue from friends who want to move back to LOS. When we moved here 7 years ago, wife could ship household goods without any customs problems. These new regulations appear to eliminafe exemptions even for used personal goods, and would open uo a can of worms for any legitimate businessman relocating here with his family - or anyone working with an international organization, such as myself.

If LOS is going to impose tax on household goods as described, corporations or organizations will have two choices: 1) Compensate their employees for the additional expense; b)Move their offices to another country which does not have such onerous customs regulations.

Does anyone in TV know more about this? We just heard about it today, and I am trying to get details.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Possibly to control the suitcases full of cash being loaded on departing crafts.

Yes, well, that covers the outgoings, but doesn't really explain the incoming stuff.

I was going to salute you for your insight......but on second thoughts :P

Possibly to control the suitcases full of cash being loaded on departing crafts.

Yes, well, that covers the outgoings, but doesn't really explain the incoming stuff.

I was going to salute you for your insight......but on second thoughts tongue.png

Well perhaps to give them a bit more ammunition to stop some folks on high end shopping trips overseas. Hmmmmmmmm does that sound better?

• Like 1

I was going to salute you for your insight......but on second thoughts tongue.png

Well perhaps to give them a bit more ammunition to stop some folks on high end shopping trips overseas. Hmmmmmmmm does that sound better?

Yes, I can see what it's about, but I can just see a lot of pai. for those coming and going with their own stuff.

One could only hope this will be policed to the targeted group.

Not to mention Thais living outside Thailand ATM......they use to be able to retur. with their personal effects, no tax, now what?

10k baht of personal goods is completely stupid and ludicrous. Every single passenger would have that, and probably on them let alone the suitcase and whats inside it.

My phone is worth more than that.

• Like 1

10k baht of personal goods is completely stupid and ludicrous. Every single passenger would have that, and probably on them let alone the suitcase and whats inside it.

My phone is worth more than that.

Exactly what Thais are saying on social media.

There's gonna be a lot more balcony jumpers at Suvarnabhumi .

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Wite has been getting emails on this very issue from friends who want to move back to LOS. When we moved here 7 years ago, wife could ship household goods without any customs problems. These new regulations appear to eliminafe exemptions even for used personal goods, and would open uo a can of worms for any legitimate businessman relocating here with his family - or anyone working with an international organization, such as myself.

If LOS is going to impose tax on household goods as described, corporations or organizations will have two choices: 1) Compensate their employees for the additional expense; b)Move their offices to another country which does not have such onerous customs regulations.

Does anyone in TV know more about this? We just heard about it today, and I am trying to get details.

Cheers!

Thanks for posting on topic.

This is huge and has huge implications for people on this thread. I have attempted to make clarification calls on this to a customs contact I have, however I haven't had any success yet.

It could be a problem for me, as ATM I'm out of Thailand and it would seem as if they want me to return home naked as my wrist watch is 900,000 baht alone and that's before I smile at customs with my solid gold tooth or teethes (how do English write more than one tooth w. t . f.

Anyway, my point being, it may be easier to parachute in with my bags than to pass by customs who want me to pay tax on my Kelvin Klein g-strings & Julius Marlow snake skin shoes. What's the deal?

"tax on my Kelvin Klein g-strings"

Well if they were labeled "Kelvin Klein" they were probably made in a Bangladeshi sweatshop, so you'd be accused of abetting human traffickers and trademark infringement, but I doubt there's be much tax on your Baht 10 undies. ... although if there's an attached inflatable enhancement device that could turn into a taxable event.

calvin-klein_logo_0.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

10 baht......mate try adding a few more zeros.

Kelvins cost me 1000 baht more.

u r looking. in the copy shops again ;)

He has been buying Kevin Klein's

ohhh Kevin Kleins..... they come with skid marks already imprinted on them !

• Like 1

sounds more like a sanctioned scam, where the confiscators (if you can't afford the coffee money), take your goods and sell it themselves.

The rules may come from above, but all the low level red-cap uniforms will be rubbing their hands...

sounds more like a sanctioned scam, where the confiscators (if you can't afford the coffee money), take your goods and sell it themselves.

The rules may come from above, but all the low level red-cap uniforms will be rubbing their hands...

Well, these rules have always been there, but have never been enforced. It would be great, if they would start enforcing them now clap2.gif It would do wonders for tourism ...

if that would really be enforced... tablet, phone, watch would all need to be left home... even 80K can be easily reached and then they would confiscated your stuff...

but since they still allow you to take in 20'000 USD, you could at least buy everything you need in Thailand... maybe that is the whole trick behind enforcing the law now?

• Like 1

It would seems some Thais are getting worked up over recent changes to customs rules and apparently an announcement to crack down on people travelling in and out of Thailand.

Neverdie: Since you said that you heard about this mainly on Thai networks, could it be that this is only related to tax-free import for Thai's returning home? I mean we have the same laws in Europe, if I return home, I have a certain tax-free amount of items bought abroad, and if I bought in excess, I have to go through the red channel also?

Just asking, as I can not imagine that they will start to tax foreigners who take the same items back home after their holiday...

• Like 1

Cheers!

Thanks for posting on topic.

This is huge and has huge implications for people on this thread. I have attempted to make clarification calls on this to a customs contact I have, however I haven't had any success yet.

It could be a problem for me, as ATM I'm out of Thailand and it would seem as if they want me to return home naked as my wrist watch is 900,000 baht alone and that's before I smile at customs with my solid gold tooth or teethes (how do English write more than one tooth w. t . f.

Anyway, my point being, it may be easier to parachute in with my bags than to pass by customs who want me to pay tax on my Kelvin Klein g-strings & Julius Marlow snake skin shoes. What's the deal?

As long as you travel often, you could do, what i assume is the technically legal thing and get a Carnet for your watch ;)

however what are the chances of your average customs guy knowing the difference between a genuine item and a beach road knockoff.

I'm hoping however this will make sorting out Carnet easier for the bike. especially if I'm flying into suvarnabhumi with the GS

• Like 1

Yes, I can see what it's about, but I can just see a lot of pai. for those coming and going with their own stuff.

One could only hope this will be policed to the targeted group.

Not to mention Thais living outside Thailand ATM......they use to be able to retur. with their personal effects, no tax, now what?

I think Thai returnees fall under the category of Importation of personal effects .Which is clearly stated in the customs web page. I really do not think they fall under the scrutiny of airport or regular customs constraints .They have to provide all the paperwork.

It would seems some Thais are getting worked up over recent changes to customs rules and apparently an announcement to crack down on people travelling in and out of Thailand.

Neverdie: Since you said that you heard about this mainly on Thai networks, could it be that this is only related to tax-free import for Thai's returning home? I mean we have the same laws in Europe, if I return home, I have a certain tax-free amount of items bought abroad, and if I bought in excess, I have to go through the red channel also?

Just asking, as I can not imagine that they will start to tax foreigners who take the same items back home after their holiday...

I'm trying to find out more but I'm outside Thailand ATM, which makes things a little bit harder.

I think a few days or weeks might tell the story, same thing abou LOS and crack downs ;)