Irish Passport

Hello

I would like to ask for some information.

My husband (British) is going to apply for Irish Citizenship because his Grandmamma was an Irish who married a an English and had his mother In England (who is Irish by birth but never applied for a passport).

I am British and Thai.

My Thai niece (who lives the same as our Daughter) has a UK settlement visa and will be British in the next 7 months or more when her UK adoption is completed.

My question (which I emailed to Irish ministries but still no answer) is how can my husband, when he is an Irish, apply for the same for me and our then 'daughter'.

And what do you think are the advantages of this?

Thank you

I have both British and Irish passports and can tell you there is no advantage in holding an Irish passport if you are British.

There are now residency requirements for a spouse of an Irish citizen so you would have to live in Eire for I believe around three

years before qualifying.

Why would you want an Irish passport if you have a British one?

There is no automatic right for you to have an irish passport see link.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html

As for a pension thisi will require you to pay into the system

I have dual citizenship, and can think of no reason why you would need an irish passport if you have a British one, i have never found any advantage.

3 years even if I am British?

We like the idea of having an irish passport. Good for the Middle East. What about pensions for Irish people?

There no passport issues in the Middle East apart from having Israeli stamps and vice versa with Arabic States in which case if you want to travel to both countries you can ask for a second UK passport.

Three years residency is what you need and that is without recourse to state funds.

As has been mentioned with regard to pension you get out what you put in.

Eire has a population of less than five million so cannot afford to carry passengers.

Having said all that I travel on my Irish passport most of the time as does my wife.

Edited by Jay Sata

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html

I have dual citizenship, and can think of no reason why you would need an irish passport if you have a British one, i have never found any advantage.

Hello

OK, so three years for me but would our adoptive daughter then become Irish as mummy and daddy are already irish?

About paying into the system, my husband paid 17 years of voluntary class 3 contributions for English NI to cover the time he was out of the country. It was all paid at rates of those years so very very cheap. It was a good investment if you live longer than 3 years in the claim period. I wonder if Ireland has the same system?

We like the idea of having an irish passport. Good for the Middle East. What about pensions for Irish people?

There no passport issues in the Middle East apart from having Israeli stamps and vice versa with Arabic States in which case if you want to travel to both countries you can ask for a second UK passport.

Three years residency is what you need and that is without recourse to state funds.

As has been mentioned with regard to pension you get out what you put in.

Eire has a population of less than five million so cannot afford to carry passengers.

Having said all that I travel on my Irish passport most of the time as does my wife.

In my husband's experience, some times the authorities in Saudi, Iraq etc like Irish more than English and its easier to operate (or so his mates tell him).

I think he needs to look at the pension as state pensions if voluntary are a good deal (but not when you pay £400 from an English salary per month).

Why do you travel on your Irish passport?

The State Pension (Contributory) is paid to people from the age of 66 who have enough Irish, Social Insurance Contributions It is not means-tested.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/older_and_retired_people/state_pension_contributory.html

You have to contribute to receive...

Edited by Basil B

Hello

OK, so three years for me but would our adoptive daughter then become Irish as mummy and daddy are already irish?

About paying into the system, my husband paid 17 years of voluntary class 3 contributions for English NI to cover the time he was out of the country. It was all paid at rates of those years so very very cheap. It was a good investment if you live longer than 3 years in the claim period. I wonder if Ireland has the same system?

AS your husband is not yet irish, you need to be an irish citizen for a child to be irish, once he gets it, i am not sure if she would get it automatically i am not very good at reading the rules!, as you realize you can not become an irish citizen for a number of years and you need to be living there. google ' irish pensions', there is a good read on it .citizensinformation.ie which does seem to suggest that paying into an EU state pension can be transferred to the irish one, but again i found it heavy going. the one bit i did understand was for apension of 198 euro a week it required 50 years of paying in. good luck with reading it. AS your husband is only getting irish citizen ship now i am not sure if he can backdate his rights ie daughter and pension

My take is that the non Irish spouse and child would have to satisfy the residency rules for acquiring Irish citizenship.

In the case of someone acquiring Irish citizenship by descent they only become Irish from the date it is granted. Therefore it is not retrospective in providing citizenship to a child born before that date.

This from the Irish government website.

If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born outside Ireland and if any of your grandparents was born in Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen. However before you can claim Irish citizenship, you must have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, which is maintained by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade - see 'How to apply' below. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration - not from the date when you were born.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

The child in question is not the daughter of the OP and her husband, but her niece; whom they intend to adopt.

Assuming the adoption takes place after the husband acquires his Irish citizenship, how would this effect any claim she may have?

I would imagine it would depend on where they reside but I am no expert.

I see no benefit in this case to them having Irish nationality.

A UK passport will be fine and less hassle in my opinion but I may be wrong.

The Irish route only really works to avoid the £18,600 requirement in the the UK but it does require a minimum three years in the

Republic. Grey skies and lots of rain plus a higher cost of living than the UK!