Looking for Apartment/condo for Rent between Sukhumvit 71-103

A friend is looking for a condo/apartment to rent between Sukhumvit 71-103. If possible he would prefer a studio type unit with small kitchen. Range - anything up to Baht 12,000. Does not not to be new but needs to be clean and relatively convenient i.e. it can be in a subsoi but there needs to be trasportation in and out such as motorbike taxi rank, as he does not have his own transport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. His current rental contract ends in August (Sathorn - expensive) so he would like to find something quite soon.

PS I was shocked by the prices being charged for small studio units closer to the center of town. I assume that the prices on the websites in English are much higher than those on websites targeting Thais. I am so glad I am not in the rental game.

Suggest he heads for On Nut (suk 77)

Why would he need a kitchen, its cheaper to buy your food in the soi than it is to cook it at home.

Concur with you ref English speaking websites, get on the back of a m/c and check them out yourself, what he wants is readily available for less than 5k per month.

If he could go 1000 more, there is a very, very nice place on Suk. soi 69, a 5 minute walk from the Phra Khanong BTS.

I forget the name of the place but if he walks down soi 69, past the 2 new condo's until he comes to a brown 5 story office building on the left with an overhanging sign that says something like "24 hour rentals". There is a driveway with a security guard along the building and the apartment building is at the rear of the drive...a beautifully built place, looks like a mansion more than an apartment with teak stairways and floors and very nice 55+ s/m single rooms with cooking area.

Despite being so close to the BTS, it is very quiet. A friend working on a book stayed there 3 months last year and loved it.

The rental office is in the office building adjacent to the driveway, ground floor.

My friend paid 14,000 p/m for a 3 month rental, I think they charge 13,000 on a years agreement. First month, last month and security required to move in.

If your friend looks at this place, he will see what I mean about it.

If that is too steep, there is a nice building on Pridi (soi)13 off Suk. 71 (left at the footbridge/7-11) called CONTEMP. Take the immediate first sub-soi on the left and follow it around to the right.

30+ s/m studios, furnishings include fridge, microwave, TV with cable signal and wi-fi. There is a (very)small pool and fitness room. All included for 7000-8000 depending on length of stay. They usually will bargain a bit. Electric rate is a bit high at B8 p/u but the a.c. is new and a friend never paid more than B2000 pm for power and he ran the ac day and night.

Very nice & quiet residential neighborhood. Very convenient to a supermarket, well served by a number of bus routes, 15-20 min. walk to BTS. Moto taxi B20.

Edited by dddave

Also should mention:

ZENITH CONDO off Sukhumvit (odd side) at the entrance to the Phra Khanong market before the canal overpass going to On Nut.

A friend got a studio there for B12,000 on a one year agreement. Has pool and fitness.

Edited by dddave

Thank you both for your replies. Good information, which I will pass on. Zenith is a bit too close to the main road but ideally located for the market. I am a Prakanongite, having lived in Prakanong District for approximately 30 years, but for the last 20 years or more have lived in town houses so am totally out of touch as to condos and apartments. I checked out a few websites targeted at Thais yesterday, i.e. they are in Thai language (which my friend can't read - wonder if auto translation will work on these sites with all the street names), and the prices are much lower than the English language sites.

Soi 69 goes up beside Prakanong Post Office and is used as a short cut to 71.

Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by GarryP

A lot of the cheaper places in Phra Khanong won't rent to farangs....to many problems and too much paperwork.

One suggestion that has worked for others: Find a local moto-dop who can speak a little English. They know neighborhoods better than anybody else and will know which places rent to farangs.

Just offer one a couple of hundred baht for an hour or so to ride your friend around the area he wants. Most buildings have a phone number posted outside.

Pridi14 has a lot of nice places but is hazardous for walking. "Mee Sawang 2" (soi 1 off 14) has nice, larger rooms, a pool and fitness along with a daytime moto rank. A lot of new construction around Pridi 36 to 46, convenient to the ARL but not the BTS.

Asean Tower on Pridi 16 has 45 s/m rooms, B4-5000...huge ethnic mix, usually full.

You will be surprised how quiet 69 is once you pass Pridi 3.

Edited by dddave