CONVERTING A TYPE O VIS TO RETIREMENT

I have a 3 months type o single entry visa, which I want to turn into a retirement visa, and my wife a dependent visa

My question is:- When should you go to Immigration to do this, I read 4weeks and 6 weeks after arrival

What are the rules

I'd say most offices 30 days before the 90 days is up with some offices allowing as early as 45 days. Name your immigration office locality for perhaps more specific advise. You will be applying for an annual extension based on retirement, not a retirement visa. You already HAVE a visa.

Agree with JT'S point, different offices, different policies. Also, another point is, that you aren't converting anything. You already have a Visa, you are applying to have your permission to stay extended, not another visa.

Agree with JT'S point, different offices, different policies. Also, another point is, that you aren't converting anything. You already have a Visa, you are applying to have your permission to stay extended, not another visa.

Agreed.

I always used to go to Sriracha immigration , in and out in 10 minutes, since they started the crackdown I have to go to pattaya immigration because of my registered address.

Send from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

In Chiang Mai you go back during the final 30 days of the O visa to do the 12-month extension due to retirement.

I know the OP didn't request our opinion about the wisdom of his wife obtaining her extension as a dependent, but I'd like to offer unsolicited advice. Consider having her obtain her own visa unless there is a problem in meeting the requirements (age, finances)

I've known women who suddenly became widows and didn't realize they had seven days to exit the country because their permission to remain no longer existed. Or women who had problems maintaining their visa status when their husband decided he wanted to go off and live with a new Thai girlfriend in another province and not show up for an appointment at Immigration. (Not implying that you'd ever do that to your wife, HG!)

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

With respect to my wife she is British aged 46, and yes she does hold a single entry type o visa

We do have funds to obtain an extension in her own right, however my understanding is she can only obtain a one year extension as my

dependant

Once she is 50 the situation changes

Am I correct?

Would you please clarify / confirm the following:-

Once I receive my extension based on retirement - I report every 90 days or leave the country?

My wife receive a dependent extension - She has to leave the country every 90days - reporting IS NOT an option?

"I've known women who suddenly became widows and didn't realize they had seven days to exit the country because their permission to remain no longer existed."

They don't have 7 days unless they apply for an extension.

With respect to my wife she is British aged 46, and yes she does hold a single entry type o visa

We do have funds to obtain an extension in her own right, however my understanding is she can only obtain a one year extension as my

dependant

Once she is 50 the situation changes

Am I correct?

She can get an extension as your dependent at any age. She does not have to change to retirement extensions when she turns 50.

"I've known women who suddenly became widows and didn't realize they had seven days to exit the country because their permission to remain no longer existed."

They don't have 7 days unless they apply for an extension.

Actually this is a relatively new rule and still being acknowledged with special signed paperwork - it used to be allowed without application. Nancy has been here awhile. And believe there are still exceptions made for one-stop business extension holders. Am sure compassion would allow whatever stay is required - although there might be a need to pay overstay on departure or for change to proper extension.