Veera comes home, hit by old charges: Seizure of Bangkok's airports

webfact

Veera comes home, hit by old charges
The Nation

Activist refuses to acknowledge accusations related to 2008 protests

BANGKOK: -- Nationalist yellow-shirt activist Veera Somkwamkid arrived in Bangkok yesterday after being released from a Cambodian jail on Tuesday thanks to a royal pardon and was welcomed by hundreds of his supporters at the airport chanting "Fight, fight Veera" and "Veera is a hero".

However, immediately upon arrival on Thai soil, the activist was charged with criminal and terrorism offences for his role in protests against the then-Thaksin Shinawatra government and the seizure of the capital's two airports the yellow-shirt protests in 2008.

His release on Tuesday came as a surprise during a meeting between Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen and acting Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow in Phnom Penh. Previously, Veera had refused to seek a royal pardon from Cambodia's King Norodom Sihanomi.

Meanwhile, in Bangkok, Veera refused to acknowledge the charges levied against him, saying he would only testify during court proceedings.

His lawyer Nitithorn Lamlua, who is also leader of a movement against the Yingluck Shinawatra government, signed the documents on Veera's behalf.

Veera and Nititorn later travelled to the Crime Suppression Division headquarters where Veera was granted a temporary release with a bail guarantee of Bt100,000. He had been charged with eight criminal offences for his role in leading the protests and the blockade of the airports.

He later travelled to a Santi Asoke sanctuary in eastern Bangkok, where he was expected rest on his first day back in Thailand, after serving three years, six months and two days in Cambodia's Prey Sar prison.

Accompanying Veera from Phnom Penh was his wife Phisamphai, while he was met at the airport by his mother and former Democrat Party MP Panich Wikitseth, who had also been arrested in 2010 before his jail term was suspended.

In a brief interview, Veera said he was not really too worried about the charges levied against him in Thailand, as he believes "he had done nothing wrong" during the protests. He said he would continue working on corruption-monitoring activities and that he had forgiven whoever had mistreated him.

Veera also thanked Sihasak for securing his release, adding that his health had improved.

He said he spent most of his time in prison giving advice on medicine and providing it to inmates, regardless of their nationality.

They came to him to ask for medication, because he had permission to acquire certain prescription drugs that were better than those provided by the prison's hospital.

Panich said he welcomed Veera's release, and would be collaborating with him on fighting corruption in the future.

Sihasak, meanwhile, said his ministry was drafting a letter to thank Hun Sen, which will be signed by junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Veera-comes-home-hit-by-old-charges-30237630.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-03

• Like 1

Why should he worry? 100,000 THB is not the money which keeps a HiSo in place. Seems like some old fashions are still unchanged

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

However, immediately upon arrival on Thai soil, the activist was charged with criminal and terrorism offences for his role in protests against the then-Thaksin Shinawatra government and the seizure of the capital's two airports the yellow-shirt protests in 2008.

Hopefully this action indicates an impartial judicial system where those accused will be brought to trial irrespective of position or power or political beliefs.

Meanwhile, in Bangkok, Veera refused to acknowledge the charges levied against him, saying he would only testify during court proceedings.

Whoa whoa.1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif ,

I refuse to acknowledge the charges yet I will testify in court proceedings.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

By that statement and his future proposed action Vera has accepted the charges against him.wai.gif

I agree, the red shirt apologists, turned sore losers, have consistently tried to argue that the good General will inevitably show favour towards one group over another. This provides further evidence of his impartiality and should result in quietening the likes of fabbie and Co.

• Like 1

Hopefully this action indicates an impartial judicial system where those accused will be brought to trial irrespective of position or power or political beliefs.

I refuse to acknowledge the charges yet I will testify in court proceedings.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

By that statement and his future proposed action Vera has accepted the charges against him.wai.gif

Hmmmm .....

Criminal terrorism for shutting down Thailand's main airport and causing untold mayhem. That sounds like a very serious charge.

Is he remanded in custody to await trail, as one would imagine befits the alleged perpetrator of such a serious offence? Noooooooooooo

Is he summonsed by the junta and locked up incommunicado in an army camp? Noooooooooooo

So where is he?

He later travelled to a Santi Asoke sanctuary in eastern Bangkok, where he was expected rest

While he walks free, I wonder how long we will have to wait for the trail?

What was that you were saying about impartiality?

Edited by Thanet

I agree, the red shirt apologists, turned sore losers, have consistently tried to argue that the good General will inevitably show favour towards one group over another. This provides further evidence of his impartiality and should result in quietening the likes of fabbie and Co.

Thaksin and/or Yingluck holding a press conference and admitting guilt would not shut Fab up

• Like 2

Junta arrests invitees as of June 18th

Number of individuals summoned or arrested by affiliation = 511 summoned, 181 Arrested

Related to UDD / PTP = 373

Related to PDRC / Democrat Party = 48

Academics / Press / Activists = 158

• Like 1

Karma's a biatch. I have no pity for anyone who inconvenienced so many travelers and hurt an entire industry. (tourism by closing the international airport). I, also, have no pity for Americans hiking next to the Iranian and N. Korea borders who are captured so I definitely don't have pity for this 'nationalist activist'. You reap what you sow. I can only hope prison gave him some new way of viewing how to change the world without damaging others or putting yourself (totally unnecessarily) in harms' way, but I doubt it. Not sorry for him one bit.

Indeed. It too is a pity that one's lack of caring or compassion makes no difference, except to one's self.

As for the "biatch" comment. Seems misspelled and misused.

I agree, the yellow apologists, turned sore tankless winners in a battle they had no hand in, have consistently tried to argue that the General should show favour to the winning team. This provides further evidence of favouritism, and should result in quieting the likes of pud, scud and dud (and Elmer Fud).

Karma's a biatch. I have no pity for anyone who inconvenienced so many travelers and hurt an entire industry. (tourism by closing the international airport). I, also, have no pity for Americans hiking next to the Iranian and N. Korea borders who are captured so I definitely don't have pity for this 'nationalist activist'. You reap what you sow. I can only hope prison gave him some new way of viewing how to change the world without damaging others or putting yourself (totally unnecessarily) in harms' way, but I doubt it. Not sorry for him one bit.

Indeed. It too is a pity that one's lack of caring or compassion makes no difference, except to one's self.

As for the "biatch" comment. Seems misspelled and misused.

'biatch' is the current way to say 'bitch' without saying 'bitch'. Next time, just for you, I will use the word 'bitch' even though it is just as much of a slang word as 'biatch'.

BTW, It is not misspelled. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=biatch

'Karma's a bitch' is a common phrase in the US, so it is not misused.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/120956/why-is-karma-a-bitch

Pedantic, much? pedant, noun \ˈpe-dənt\: a person who annoys other people by correcting small errors and giving too much attention to minor details

You shouldn't worry too much about Khun Veera, as he has thousands of fans to pity him. I suspect he wouldn't appreciate my pity, anyway.

Hmmmm .....

Criminal terrorism for shutting down Thailand's main airport and causing untold mayhem. That sounds like a very serious charge.

Is he remanded in custody to await trail, as one would imagine befits the alleged perpetrator of such a serious offence? Noooooooooooo

Is he summonsed by the junta and locked up incommunicado in an army camp? Noooooooooooo

So where is he?

He later travelled to a Santi Asoke sanctuary in eastern Bangkok, where he was expected rest

Is anyone (besides some pawns) in jail for their protests over the last few years?

Why would the junta lock him up? Are they locking up anyone that has been charged with crimes related to protests prior to the coup?

Where is the impartiality?

Good, out of the frying pan and into the fire, I look forward to his court case and hope it will be carried out swiftly and he will be back in a small cell soon....

Your current life expectancy will figure very, very strongly into what you look forward to.

Veera is one of several dozen people already charged with this. Some were charged as far back as 2009. There will be no "small cells" involved in any of these cases for a long, long time. One never says "never" in Thailand, but this airport case is very close to it.

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

Is anyone (besides some pawns) in jail for their protests over the last few years?

Why would the junta lock him up? Are they locking up anyone that has been charged with crimes related to protests prior to the coup?

OK, so if they are not going to lock him up, why are they charging him? Lady Justice has the following attributes:

1) A blindfold, to show us that she is impartial and objective

2) A set of scales in the one hand, to show us that she measures the evidence correctly and uses it to reach a correct judgement

3) A sword in the other hand, to show us that she carries the power of retribution and punishment against unjust acts

How is this age-old allegorical representation of justice being applied here? Is there impartiality? Not while some go free while others don't, there isn't. Is there punishment? Only for some. Does a man accused of an extremely serious crime walk free, while others are interned in military camps simply for voicing an opinion? Yes.

Is this your idea of reconciliation?

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

OK, so if they are not going to lock him up, why are they charging him? Lady Justice has the following attributes:

1) A blindfold, to show us that she is impartial and objective

2) A set of scales in the one hand, to show us that she measures the evidence correctly and uses it to reach a correct judgement

3) A sword in the other hand, to show us that she carries the power of retribution and punishment against unjust acts

How is this age-old allegorical representation of justice being applied here? Is there impartiality? Not while some go free while others don't, there isn't. Is there punishment? Only for some. Does a man accused of an extremely serious crime walk free, while others are interned in military camps simply for voicing an opinion? Yes.

Is this your idea of reconciliation?

They are charging him because he broke the law. They are not locking him up because he got bail, just as all protest leaders from both sides have got since 2006.

People are locked up in military camps because they have broken the "laws" of the current military junta. Has Veera done that?

You keep comparing apples with oranges and then questioning how it affects reconciliation. No wonder there are problems if people keep thinking like that.

Bail for a charge of criminal terrorism? Doesn't that strike you as rather odd?

How long will he be on bail for, I wonder?

Lets see.

Sometimes in Thailand, when 'influential' people are put on bail, witnesses become forgetful and charges are quietly dropped later on.

It happens all the time wink.png

On the contrary. Every other person in his case is on bail. Alleged so-called "terrorists" of the other side are mostly on bail, although not all. It would be odd if he were were incarcerated. Veera is an "also charged" person in this case anyhow, not one of the alleged so-called terrorist leaders.

Lets see.

Sometimes in Thailand, when 'influential' people are put on bail, witnesses become forgetful and charges are quietly dropped later on.

It happens all the time

Well you are not wrong but you're not discussing this case. First, it's rather difficult to blank the memories of millions of Thais and foreigners. But more importantly, there's no need to intimidate witnesses, just as there is no necessity to drop charges. Neither is at all likely.

It has been five-plus years since the alleged so-called terrorism. No one has been tried. It has been four-plus years since the other, red side's alleged so-called terrorism. There have been a couple of trials of scapegoats, rightly set free, but no one you have ever heard of has been tried. A few court hearings have been scheduled, but the defendants became quite ill the day before and the judges could not proceed. Nor will they..

There's no need to intimidate witnesses, although how you would do such a thing in these two cases is beyond my imagination.

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

They are not impartial. They are in favor of the RS's. When you look at the ratio of murders to arrests over the last 7 months the Junta have favored the RS side.

Regarding Veera though. It is a very serious charge and he should be in jail. The system needs fixing to ensure that happens.

The accused terrorist Veera should not be relaxing in Santi Asoke. The accused terrorist Jatuporn and Nattawutt should not be free either. No accused terrorists should be free.

The NCPO have reform on there "to do list" and this is hopefully one of the issues to be addressed.

• Like 2

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

They are not impartial. They are in favor of the RS's. When you look at the ratio of murders to arrests over the last 7 months the Junta have favored the RS side.

Regarding Veera though. It is a very serious charge and he should be in jail. The system needs fixing to ensure that happens.

The accused terrorist Veera should not be relaxing in Santi Asoke. The accused terrorist Jatuporn and Nattawutt should not be free either. No accused terrorists should be free.

The NCPO have reform on there "to do list" and this is hopefully one of the issues to be addressed.

This is nothing to do with being partial or impartial. Veera obviously (except to some flea-brained souls) had nothing to do with the protests and violence which resulted in the coup.

It's just another example of a seriously flawed judicial system of handing out bail to those (& friends) that can afford to post the requisite amount. The system is only partial in the sense that it does tend to discriminate against the really poor.

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

This is nothing to do with being partial or impartial. Veera obviously (except to some flea-brained souls) had nothing to do with the protests and violence which resulted in the coup.

It's just another example of a seriously flawed judicial system of handing out bail to those (& friends) that can afford to post the requisite amount. The system is only partial in the sense that it does tend to discriminate against the really poor.

I don't disagree with anything you have said.

I am not familiar with what Veera has or has not done. He may well be innocent as may Jatuporn and Nattawutt, but due to the seriousness of the charges bail should not be an option and cases should be going to trial as soon as possible. As you say though the whole system is flawed. It needs reform.

To my knowledge Veera was not part of any leadership group during the airport seizures. He may have attended.

Veera's main problem is that, as a journalist, he's an anti-corruption sleuth and has embarrassed too many people.

As for being Hi-So, he's a Santi Asoke practitioner and lives on vegetables and water, eats once a day and sleeps on the floor.

• Like 1

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

Bail is granted here for murder, kidnapping and abusing children, manslaughter, and a whole raft of serious offences where often those accused decide to walk.

Classic example being the well known bail jumping convicted fugitive himself. Legs it to avoid prison. avoid more serious charges and tries to fiddle an amnesty or sit out the statute of limitations. Red bull boy is another example.

Nothing to do with impartiality, everything to do with a flawed legal process.

A flawed legal process and impartiality are the same thing. Impartiality is one of the basic tenets of justice.

Glad we agree that justice is not part of the Junta's calculus.

Lets see.

It happens all the time wink.png

It would strike me as odd ... if it wasn't Thailand. It seemed to be OK for some when the red shirt leaders got bailed though.

Also, sometimes in Thailand, when 'influential' people spirit their kids out of the country, witnesses become forgetful (or disappear or are murdered), charges are quietly dropped, and their kids come back to be reinstated into the army and then become police officers.

You try and make it sound like only rich people from one side of the divide get away with everything.

• Like 1

Hmmmm .....

So where is he?

Bail is granted here for murder, kidnapping and abusing children, manslaughter, and a whole raft of serious offences where often those accused decide to walk.

Classic example being the well known bail jumping convicted fugitive himself. Legs it to avoid prison. avoid more serious charges and tries to fiddle an amnesty or sit out the statute of limitations. Red bull boy is another example.

Nothing to do with impartiality, everything to do with a flawed legal process.

A flawed legal process and impartiality are the same thing. Impartiality is one of the basic tenets of justice.

Glad we agree that justice is not part of the Junta's calculus.

The 'Junta' had nothing to do with the court that allowed Veera out on bail. If you read the post you commented on, you would also have seen references to cases long before the army took control.

No one (apart from you with yourself) agreed that justice is not part of the current administrators of the country.

• Like 1