'MacGyver' meets his match: Burst water pipe forces Qantas plane to turn back to LA

webfact

Qantas Plane Flooded, 'MacGyver' Meets His Match
Burst water pipe forces Qantas plane to turn back to LA.

macgyver_628.jpg

LOS ANGELES: -- A Qantas flight bound for Melbourne was forced to turn back to Los Angeles after a burst drinking water pipe flooded part of the cabin.

The pilot turned QF94 back about an hour into the flight after the leak was discovered.

A number of passengers shared their experience on social media including American actress Yvette Nicole Brown.

"Pipe burst on my #Qantas flight over the Pacific. We were diverted back to LA. River running thru the aisles," she tweeted.

Another famous passanger was MacGyver actor Richard Dean Anderson who was due to be interviewed by Triple M on Friday morning.

Full story: http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/breaking-news/blog/2014/7/qantas-plane-forced-to-turn-back-macgyver-meets-his-match/

-- TripleM 2014-07-03

• Like 1

April 19, 2014

Qantas flight from LA to Melbourne forced to turn back after midair system failure
ANGUS THOMPSON HERALD SUN APRIL 19, 2014

A SKY-HIGH drama has struck an overnight Qantas flight from Los Angeles to Melbourne after a system failure forced it to turn back midair.

The A380 Airbus, which departed LAX at 5.52pm (AEST), had reached Hawaii before a fuel pump fault forced it to turn back.

Qantas spokeswoman Sarah Algar confirmed the incident, saying engineers were now investigating the issue.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/qantas-flight-from-la-to-melbourne-forced-to-turn-back-after-midair-system-failure/story-fni0fiyv-1226889740860

Must have been bad for McGuiver not to have fixed itsmile.png

Security confiscated his duct tape.

Strangely when I left Australia last I had a roll in my bag (I use it sometimes to hold things to my wheelchair etc) They took it to a senior officer came back, gave it to me and said not problem and waved me through. I would have thought it could be pretty dangerous stuff too in the wrong hands.

Amazing how all Qantas incidents hit the media these days.

Boring.

This type of thing happens all the time, hardly newsworthy IMO.

What next? "Qantas flight attendant breaks wind"

or

"Qantas Pilot see kicking aircraft tyres"

HOLD ON neverdie,

check the facts before posting.

A fairly big event and a free shower for all economy passengers. lol

post-53176-0-59392200-1404359475_thumb.j

post-53176-0-05432200-1404359496_thumb.j

Crap Chinese Airbus aircrafts - lol.

Would never happen on a Boeing wink.png. tongue.png

On a Boeing you just would not hear about it. The leak would have shorted the batteries and set them on fire and then no aircraft so no news of the leak, just the batteries.

• Like 1

Boring.

or

HOLD ON neverdie,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good thing it didn't spring the leak on upper deck or it would have rained nearly 2 tonnes of water into coach.

• Like 2

Crap Chinese Airbus aircrafts - lol.

Would never happen on a Boeing wink.png. tongue.png

On a Boeing you just would not hear about it. The leak would have shorted the batteries and set them on fire and then no aircraft so no news of the leak, just the batteries.

Bit hard to detect a water leak on a plane that's sitting at the bottom of the South Pacific ? Suppose so.

You are only referring to the 787 Harry, nothing else ;)

If it ain't a Boeing, I ain't going.... :-)

But in all fairness, I think Boeing also sources aircraft components from China

Chinese companies named sole supplier for some Boeing 787 parts
15:07, September 06, 2010 icon_41.gificon_42.gif icon_43.gif Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum icon_44.gif
As the backbone of China's aviation manufacturing industry, Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC), AVIC Chengdu Aircraft Industrial Group and Harbin Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation (HAMC) now have become the sole suppliers of certain parts of the Boeing 787 project. This is the first time Boeing has chosen Chinese partners as the sole supplier.

Boring.

or

HOLD ON neverdie,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good thing it didn't spring the leak on upper deck or it would have rained nearly 2 tonnes of water into coach.

It did CC,

One of the pictures shows water dripping from the overhead locker on the economy lower level. Information I have is the leak originated from the first class bathroom.

And apparently there was a couple of thousand of litres of mess.

I'm betting it takes a while to dry that one out. Also, a major check to get the aircraft airworthy again, as electronics and water....errrrr, not a good mix. 555555

Poor old Qantas, can't miss a trick.

• Like 1

Chinese companies named sole supplier for some Boeing 787 parts 15:07, September 06, 2010 icon_41.gificon_42.gif icon_43.gif Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum icon_44.gif

As the backbone of China's aviation manufacturing industry, Shenyang Aircraft Corporation (SAC), AVIC Chengdu Aircraft Industrial Group and Harbin Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation (HAMC) now have become the sole suppliers of certain parts of the Boeing 787 project. This is the first time Boeing has chosen Chinese partners as the sole supplier.

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90778/90860/7131058.html

The entire concept of flying a large passenger aircraft with a Nintendo stick, does it for me.

I like two hands holding onto the controls as the passengers and crew scream alike ;)

• Like 1

Chinese companies named sole supplier for some Boeing 787 parts 15:07, September 06, 2010 icon_41.gificon_42.gif icon_43.gif Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum icon_44.gif

The entire concept of flying a large passenger aircraft with a Nintendo stick, does it for me.

I like two hands holding onto the controls as the passengers and crew scream alike wink.png

You mean you do not want to have a free hand so you can switch the fire extinguisher system on?

Where can you find a plumber when you need one? the one with shorts, sandals and

the butt's crack showing......

Allan Joyce declined the request to call out a plumber, apparently Qantas couldn't afford the 'call out' fee.

• Like 2

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

Security confiscated his duct tape.

Strangely when I left Australia last I had a roll in my bag (I use it sometimes to hold things to my wheelchair etc) They took it to a senior officer came back, gave it to me and said not problem and waved me through. I would have thought it could be pretty dangerous stuff too in the wrong hands.

Nah, it wasn't the duct tape, it was the bloody Swiss Army knife that security took away.

I really didnt find the headline funny at all, Thank God the aircraft landed back to LAX safely.

Its easy to make fun from the news but the reality can be extremely dangerous.

It was funny, it made it back all ok. Had it been a disaster there would still be jokes, inappropriate you might say but dark or black humor helps us make it through the day in a world full of chaos.

I like two hands holding onto the controls as the passengers and crew scream alike wink.png

Nearly all new large planes both Boeing and Airbus are "fly-by-wire', so whether Joystick (Airbus) or Stick (Boeing) is completely irrelevant as there is no difference between the two....both have zero physical connections between the controls and flight surfaces.