From visa exemption to 90-day non-imm visa?

Hi,

I would like to end up with an O-visa (based on marriage with a Thai) but I currently have only 3 weeks left on my visa exemption stamp and my wife will not have time coming days to accompany me to immigration in the next couple of days.

So I would now like to first get an 90-day non-immigrant visa to give me some more time so I can later apply for an extension of stay based on marriage.

Here my question:
Is it possible to change my visa exemption gotten on arrival into a 90-day non-immigrant visa within Thailand? How many days should I have left on my visa exemption when applying?

I am currently based in Hua Hin and not having to leave the country would save me a lot of hassle.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I checked the search function but none of the recent posts seem to match my situation.

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 1

You need at least 15 days remaining on your entry to do a conversion.

For one based upon marriage to a Thai only Bangkok immigration can do them and it will probably require 2 trips to get the visa and entry stamp. They normally give you a 15 day under consideration stamp when you apply.

To do the conversion you will need all the documents and financial proof need to do the extension, The 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the date of application the 60 days needed to do the extension is not required.

• Like 2

That sounds great, thanks.
Do I need to bring my wife on either of these trips or is this something I can do alone?

And both trips will be to BKK immigration (as you mention an entry stamp)?

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 2

Thanks all for the help.

I can make it to immigration but my wife unfortunately not coming weeks. Unlike in my home country all government services have the exact same operating times (9 till 5) as all businesses meaning whoever has a job has to take (part of) a day off to get something done.

I will be making a trip abroad in a few weeks to apply there for a 90 day visa based on marriage to give me some more time to sort it out here. Now i should only see it as a fun holiday trip coming up instead of as a boring visa trip.

smile.png