Farmers outside irrigated zones are told to postpone rice farming

Lite Beer

Farmers outside irrigated zones are told to postpone rice farming

7-4-2014-8-50-35-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Farmers who have no access to irrigation system have been advised to postpone rice cultivation for a while otherwise the rice plants may be damaged due to water shortage, said Mr Chavalit Chukachorn, permanent secretary of agriculture, today (Friday).

He said that many areas which are beyond the coverage of irrigation system are experiencing water shortage due to insufficient rainfalls which, by comparison, are less than last year and, therefore there is a high risk of damages to rice plants if farmers start the cultivation too early.

He disclosed that the total amount of water stored in all dams and reservoirs throughout the country was estimated at 35,140 million cubic metres representing 47 percent of the storage capacity but still more than last year’s total amount of water by 1,184 million cubic metres.

This means that all the dams and reservoirs can still accommodate over 37,000 million cubic metre of water, he said and assured that the Irrigation Department will be able to meet the demand of water for rice farming in irrigated areas throughout the planting season.

Regarding water situation at Bhumibol and Sirikit dams, Mr Chavalit disclosed that the amount of water flow into the two dams is small although it is now the rainy season.

The amount of water in Bhumibol dam now is just 31 percent of its capacity or 4,163 million cubic metres whereas at the Sirikit dam, the amount of water is estimated tat 3,249 million cubic metres or 34 of its full capacity.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/farmers-outside-irrigated-zones-told-postpone-rice-farming/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=farmers-outside-irrigated-zones-told-postpone-rice-farming

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-04

Beginning of July and still no reasonable rain.

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

I never run AC in my houses (i have several) in thailand - any day of the year.

Two main reasons:

A. houses I build are shaded by large trees.

B. They're thick masonry, so they retain evening coolness during the day

C. few windows on south side of house.

D. large interior space, including carports = cooler.

and, the most important reason I never turn on Air.Con.... (drum roll please)

...I can handle the heat. Part of the reason: I'm thin and have zero body fat. But also because I don't drink alcohol, and I acclimate my body to handle heat. Imagine the savings in electricity, just in Thailand, if Air.con was used a quarter as much as it is currently. Thais and farang are nutzoid in their use of it. It can be raining and cool outside, but then you step in to a Thai shop (or movie theater, bank, 7-11, bus, house) and air.con units are going full blast. Frigid. I'm always relieved when I go from an air conditioned space to a natural outdoor temperature.

...oh, one more reason, I reside in one of Thailand's comparatively coolest regions, the north.

I just spent a day with a British special military guy in his 40's (equivalent to the US's green berets). He was sweating like a hog, and kept bellyaching about being too hot. What a whimp. I was perfectly content with the temp.

• Like 2

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

...I can handle the heat. Part of the reason: I'm thin and have zero body fat. But also because I don't drink alcohol, and I acclimate my body to handle heat. Imagine the savings in electricity, just in Thailand, if Air.con was used a quarter as much as it is currently. Thais and farang are nutzoid in their use of it. It can be raining and cool outside, but then you step in to a Thai shop (or movie theater, bank, 7-11, bus, house) and air.con units are going full blast. Frigid. I'm always relieved when I go from an air conditioned space to a natural outdoor temperature.

...oh, one more reason, I reside in one of Thailand's comparatively coolest regions, the north.

I just spent a day with a British special military guy in his 40's (equivalent to the US's green berets). He was sweating like a hog, and kept bellyaching about being too hot. What a whimp. I was perfectly content with the temp.

good for you, keep up the good work. There will be a special place in heaven for you

I thought Martyrs went to paradise.... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

Don't stop there, tell us what you ate for lunch, when the British special military guy in his 40's (equivalent to the US's green berets), spent the day and where did you eat it?

BTW, pigs (hogs) don't have sweat glands so they can't sweat.

• Like 2

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

Zero body fat, are you OK? I have read there are only 8 people in the world with zero body fat it is such a rare metabolic disorder.

• Like 1

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

Any Chance you could let me have your AC's if you are not using them?

• Like 2

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

Boy how I would like to see you out planting rice along side of the Isan boys down here on a grueling hot daylaugh.png Give us fat guys a break!

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 1

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

You are the coolest guy I "know" :-)

This is a small start at an attempt at quotas and subsidy control.

Next with be, and if you don't grow, we will give you 50k

If they do that it will cost more than the previous rice scheme (B 50 k x 5 mil farmers = B 250 bn per year) and remember if they do that for rice farmers they will have to do the same for all other farmers. What about educating the people to such a level that they can find a job that pays more than their farm income. Then there will be less farmers (a generation down the line) on the same land which will increase the income per farmer. Combine this with R&D to increase yields as well as proper extension services to farmers and you have even more income per farmer. No subsidies needed only R&D, education, correct policies and a growing economy. Approximately 40% of Thai's are involved in Agriculture compared to less than 1% in developed countries and 5% in developing countries which are at the same level of development as Thailand. Subsidies have kept farmers farming even when their farms were not profitable. The reason for farm subsidies was and still are mainly paid to pacify them. Without these subsidies many farmers would have gone bankrupt and without a good education they would have ended up unemployed and millions unemployed equals trouble. But subsidies over the longterm leads to the miss allocation of resources which decrease economic growth.

• Like 1

This is a small start at an attempt at quotas and subsidy control.

Next with be, and if you don't grow, we will give you 50k

If they do that it will cost more than the previous rice scheme (B 50 k x 5 mil farmers = B 250 bn per year) and remember if they do that for rice farmers they will have to do the same for all other farmers. What about educating the people to such a level that they can find a job that pays more than their farm income. Then there will be less farmers (a generation down the line) on the same land which will increase the income per farmer. Combine this with R&D to increase yields as well as proper extension services to farmers and you have even more income per farmer. No subsidies needed only R&D, education, correct policies and a growing economy. Approximately 40% of Thai's are involved in Agriculture compared to less than 1% in developed countries and 5% in developing countries which are at the same level of development as Thailand. Subsidies have kept farmers farming even when their farms were not profitable. The reason for farm subsidies was and still are mainly paid to pacify them. Without these subsidies many farmers would have gone bankrupt and without a good education they would have ended up unemployed and millions unemployed equals trouble. But subsidies over the longterm leads to the miss allocation of resources which rdecrease economic growth.
They only need to pay the smallest most inefficient not to grow. Essentially the really poor mom and pop growers who mainly grow to feed themselves.

Why subsidise exports when people are living in poverty trying to grow rice in crappy conditions. Just give them rice or money and let them grow something else except rice. You ever tried growing rice with insufficient water?

Most of isaan is unirrigated.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Too late for most have planted up 1 to 2 months ago and have commited crops in the dry fields.Have had rain but less than a quarter of previous years rice germination very patchy done by broadcaste sowing.

"... the total amount of water stored in all dams and reservoirs throughout the country was estimated at 35,140 million cubic metres ... still more than last year’s total amount of water by 1,184 million cubic metres.'

A helluva lot more, according to those figures.

Hot, hot, AC running.

Quite worrysome.

Two main reasons:

How nice for you