Sales Rep In Thailand

A friend of mine has the opportunity to be an independent sales representative/contractor for a european brand in Thailand (at first) then most probably over the APAC region. This brand will be new on thai market.

Basically, his job will be to find and coordinate with local distributor(s) owning or already distributing on retail networks. He will then get a commision on each order/sale made between distributor(s) and brand head office.

What is the best option regarding company incorporation considering that he won't be based permanently in Thailand, traveling around the region and back and forth to Europe? ... also there is the business visa/work permit issue.

Should he form a company in Hong Kong (which is fiscally interesting)?, Thailand?... Else?

If he is not based in Thailand and is sourcing local services and products periodically, this at the moment at would fall under the intent of the non-imm B visa, however if he sets himself up in Thailand doing this one suspects this is when the WP will be required

whistling.gif A friend of mine did essentially the same thing some years ago, but out of Taiwan as his home office.

His tittle was "Southeast Asia Sales Manager". I believe he would get a Non B visa for his quarterly trips to visit and consult with customers in Southeast Asia and Thailand.

At the time I never asked him about what visa he had, but I know he was paid out of the Home office of that company in Taiwan.

He was based in Taiwan, not Thailand, and just did quarterly inspection and co-ordination trips to Thailand and other countries in S.E. Asia.

He was an American, but he grew up in Thailand and spoke fluent Thai as he had lived here from birth until he went to the U.S. for his University study.

He was eventually promoted to Southeast Asia Manager, settled in Taiwan, and married a Chinese woman there.

Edited by IMA_FARANG