Mobile Phone Reliability Survey

Michael W

Mobile Phone Reliability Survey  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please select the mobile phone brand that in your personal experience (or close second hand experience) you've found most reliable over long term use including the occasional 'accident' -- bumps, drops, dunks in beer, etc. If you found a particular model of one brand especially reliable compared to another of the same brand, please mention that.

I've had my rather basic Nokia 3210 for almost two years now and have had no problems whatsoever. It is quite a basic phone (no MP3, no camera and NO MOVING PARTS unless you count the keys). It makes phone calls though and sends SMS so that's fine with me.

The GF has had two Samsung phones over the same period - one was a clam-shell and the other a slide-open design. Both failed before they were very old - TukCom Patttaya attempted repairs with limited success. Currently she has a Motorola RAZR V3i m which has been OK so far - only a couple of months old though and it's another clam-shell design so I'm not hopeful for a long life.

SM

Sony Ericsson k750i for about 6 months now and love it. 2nd SE I've had and never a problem, the wife has the first one now after I upgraded. First phone was a Siemans and it took a beating for about 7-8 years and had no problems with it either, just needed an upgrade and liked the SE features and price.

I am partial to Nokia because of their user interface (software) - it is so much more usable than most others.

I don't think brand name has much to do with reliability; if you get a phone with movable parts (slide or clamshell) it's likely to break a lot easier than a simple "standard" phone.

My favorite phone was an old Ericsson. It took a beating and was even dropped totally under water. It recovered when it dried out. I lost it so I bought another clambshell phone. A Siemens and it has also served me well. I am only comfortable with the clambshell design phone so my options are limited.

My wife loves her Nokia but I hate it. I did buy a Sony Ericsson with a camera and all the goodies but I traded it for a computer and continued to use my Siemens clambshell.

I've had good experience with my Nokia 6230. Very nice. Actually all Nokia series 40 phones are pretty reliable. Nokia smartphones (series 60/Symbian) are more powerful but considerably less reliable.

I want to spare a few words for the worst phones I've experienced: Ericsson phones are shit. They have crappy, tiny illegible screens, lousy reception and pathetic speaker volume, bizzarre 'SOS only' messages for no apparent reason, and did I mention that I get great enjoyment out of throwing them on the ground and kicking them about?

Because that's the only way to get a 'Positive User Experience' out of an Ericsson.

Ericsson phones are shit. They have crappy, tiny illegible screens, lousy reception and pathetic speaker volume, bizzarre 'SOS only' messages for no apparent reason
I'm looking at that message right now on my T100. Its life is hanging by a thread. Anyone know whether the Nokia 8210 is any good?

Ive had several Nokia phones over the years from 6110 about 10 years ago to my latest 8800, which is great. I can say that one of the best would have been 6230 and 6630.

The G/F has had 2 Samsung clamshell types which the screen in both cr*pped out after about 8 months. To say the least, we dont ever buy Samsung anything now, and stay away from the clamshell type,and have stuck to Nokia. She has got the stylish and latest N70, which is very nice.

Had a look at the N91, and boy has that baby got a great sounds, better than my MP3 player IMHO, but will be sticking with the current one; have spent too much on gadgets over the past 2 years, and its getting expensive :o

My basic nokia works for me like iron horse for the past 4 years. Rain or shine this simple handphone never failed me.
What's the model number?

my old 6110 was an iron horse, a heavy old phone but it took hel_l of a beating, dropped it at least a dozen times. I used to work as a technician working around commercial kitchens, laundries etc and it did the job brilliantly. I dont think any current model would take the punishment that the 6110 took. Would be hard pressed to find a 6110 for sale now.

Nokia 3210 and 3315(?) & a 6110 (stolen) the 6110 was brilliant.

I would avoid any mobile with moving parts. Clams & sliders!

Next mob will be Nokia 3230 or a 6280, as per Sezzo's report.

I still have a Nokia 'brick' from Orange (UK) circa 1997.... no one would steal it. :o

Edited by udon

I have a farang friend in Bangkok who has a Thai wife who is definately the boss. My friend has always been careless with his phone. She always bought him Nokias and finally bought one of the strings that went around his neck so he wouldn't drop the phone. Of course he always forgot to use the string around his neck. He destroyed about four Nokias by dropping them. She finally bought him a really cheap Siemens. He has dropped it countless times. The cover pops off and the battery falls out. He picks up the pieces and puts it back together and it still works. I think that phone is about four years old now. He still drops it and it just keeps working. I have to say that the Siemens, now BenQ - Siemens has to be the toughest phone made. :o

I voted others, I now have an O2 XDAIIs, with wich I'm very happy.

Owned Nokia before, probably the sturdiest of all, but terrible gprs connections (froze every 3 minutes, sometimes requiring a complet restart...)

Also had samsung (slide), now still used very heavily by my girlfriend (100's of alls a day :o ) so seems to be pretty reliable as well, and it had a very good gprs modem...

My basic nokia works for me like iron horse for the past 4 years. Rain or shine this simple handphone never failed me.
What's the model number?

Nokia 3315 - Just changed the outer plastic cover for 60 baht and it look new again.

Using a Nokia 3230 over the past year and a bit - pretty good all-rounder, especially with Opera installed...

Reckon the TCP/IP stack built into the Symbian OS is a bit dodgy though - When browsing, sometimes downloads never complete and have to be triggered again. This never happens when using the Win32 stack over Bluetooth/GPRS with the same phone.

Nerdy <deleted> aside, I'm pretty happy with it.

Siemens S35 since 2000 and an Motorola from 1995, both work, no fancy stuff like cameras

Even dropped my Siemens in the toiletbowl one time, wet, smelly but still working.

Disappointing actually because I want to have an new one...

I keep becoming more of a Motorola fan over the years. Wife and I had several Nokia's, and they keep getting worse over the years-- simple features that were in my phone six years ago aren't available now in a more expensive phone. I always loved that clean, simple interface.

Motorola has their good days and bad days, but things seem to be getting better. The RAZR didn't hold up for me (on the beach) - clamshell creaking after 8 months. Current phone is a V360, and quite happy with it. Little bit more of a plastic feeling than the RAZR, but looks pretty robust.

The cheap Nokia's take pretty much abuse, but after a year or so and a few drops start to have the tabs that hold everything together break off or just shift to the point that it doesn't close properly. Biggest Nokia pet-peeve is the headset cord is different than everybody else with a 2.5mm jack.

V360 is great as a GPRS/Edge modem as well.

I think a more useful question to ask is what people think the worst model is...