'Media has vital role to play in revealing impact of graft'

Lite Beer

'Media has vital role to play in revealing impact of graft'
Khanittha Thepphajorn
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The media should play a crucial role in educating the public - to make them realise the impact of corruption on people's lives, former National Anti-Corruption Commission member Klanarong Chanthick said at a seminar yesterday.

Being a democracy was not enough, freedom of press must also be ensured for a country to prosper, he said.

Klanarong spoke in a seminar on the media and their role in fighting corruption held to mark the National Press Council's 17th anniversary.

He expected the media to play an enhanced role in fighting corruption, adding that freedom of the press was vital in a democracy. There was a good opportunity now to raise serious concerns about corruption and to show the public how bad it could be, he said.

"Corruption has been embedded in our history for a long time. Although the practice was unacceptable during the Rattanakosin Kingdom, people became ignorant of it during World War II until then," Klanarong said.

The media needed to let society know about the impact of corruption, as well as to reveal truth in the news, because media outlets can reach a large amount of the population.

He also said the media played a key role in providing knowledge and information to the public.

"Democracy and freedom of press are important factors in world transparency rankings. The new constitution should keep the 7th article of the 2007 Constitution, which had the purpose of preventing officials' interfering [in state projects]," Klanarong noted.

As part of activities to mark the 17th anniversary, there was an award given to newspapers for outstanding editorials last year. An editorial by Kom Chad Luek (a sister paper of The Nation) won an honourable mention in this category.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Media-has-vital-role-to-play-in-revealing-impact-o-30237808.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-05

• Like 1

There is no freedom of the press in Thailand. They Thai press is in a constant state of denial about what is really happening and how it happens in Thailand.

The ostensible freedom of the press in the USA is perverted by the blind allegiance of the Media to an agenda they believe and hold to be true (because they say so) in spite of what reality blares at them and all. They are in lockstep with their adored darling, whether he/she commits egregious acts of disregard for the rule of law and/or Freedom of speech.

That is a sad state of affairs in a country that has a tradition of not accepting the imposed hegemony of another nation over them.

Can we expect Thailand to adhere to principles of honesty and righteousness of the press, TV, radio and social Medium?

The people, the Media in Thailand have always had the sword of Damocles over their heads; be it the military or in the guise of archaic, feudal laws to disable and neutralize political enemies.

The Media will continue doing; with very few honorable exceptions, what it has always done: play the song of the Piper.

Would rather have a press that follow the business that produces the paper in competition with other businesses who may have an opposite point of view than one in which the media are wholly controlled by the government of the day. The current junta have their temporary media controls for the reasons they have given, to prevent inciting even greater division, which is fair for the time being. Eventually, in calmer times, democracy can only be served by a free press with different opinions to promote discussion and understanding. There is little understanding if the same brainwashing bull is shoved down your throat day after day.

Defamation laws definitely have to go.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Wouldn't this be a wonderful thing for Thailand and the Thai people. I can only imagine. Truth! Transparency! Responsibility! Accountability! Sanctions.... CHANGE. ..... sweet.

... and this you expect from those suppress the freedom of people and press, but show there advertising clips in the TV for hours in the NEWS sessions...?? I am shure they will go forward as good samples and everyone shows and declares complete wealth and assets of themselves and how they got it - only what you are ready to show about yourself - you can expect from others! Total transparency is the only way to fight corruption and should not stop about a titel as judge, doctor or high ranking General - those should first of all Show their clean, white vest... There is not only black sheeps on one side, same as there is not only black and white.

Handle EVERYBODY in the same fair way is the basic to win the thrust of the People! Fair investigation, fair negotiation and fair penalty, equal treatment for all, and not ethos-based Treatment will solve a lot.

After the protests started last November, my Thai partner followed events closely on social media and it was quite shocking what was going on. When I checked Bangkok Post, many stories had a slant put on them which favoured the government and some of more outrageous actions by police + government supporters were omitted completely.

When I read about Thai press complaining about their 'freedom' it just makes me laugh. They don't deserve it until they do the job journalists are supposed to do : stand up for the truth.

what she has followed on social media was more biased, than what you seen in bangkok post, which was openly pro mob from the very beginning.

rather search the news on the net by yourself. Unfortunately, all mass media is censored in thailand. I would rather rely on the international ones.

After the protests started last November, my Thai partner followed events closely on social media and it was quite shocking what was going on. When I checked Bangkok Post, many stories had a slant put on them which favoured the government and some of more outrageous actions by police + government supporters were omitted completely.

When I read about Thai press complaining about their 'freedom' it just makes me laugh. They don't deserve it until they do the job journalists are supposed to do : stand up for the truth.

Just what "social media" did you closely follow?

what she has followed on social media was more biased, than what you seen in bangkok post, which was openly pro mob from the very beginning.

rather search the news on the net by yourself. Unfortunately, all mass media is censored in thailand. I would rather rely on the international ones.

And much of the international press presents it's own opinion based on those of it's owner or it's corporate culture view.

• Like 1

Just what "social media" did you closely follow?

Presumably the PDRC Twitter feed. lol.

• Like 1

There is no freedom of the press in Thailand. They Thai press is in a constant state of denial about what is really happening and how it happens in Thailand.

Sounds like the mainstream media in America. Although, there is a free press, it seems to commit the "lie of omission" repeatedly. And, the "news spinning" by the media and government is incredible. Fortunately, there are alternative news outlets in America. oc

Most of the foreign media on the situation here that I have seen has been almost as full of crap as the blustering bleating red sheeple who keep muddying up this forum with their lies and spin, it's truly shocking ! It is true that very little is ever truly objective, always biased by someone's views. Just try and follow as much as you can from as many places as you can and put the pieces together and decide for yourself what you believe the truth to be...

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Of course there's a whole bunch of defamation laws which prevent anyone exposing someone who's involved in this kind of activity.

Maybe the NCPO are serious about this and will change the laws whilst they have control.

One can always hope.

I believe that the press has more freedom but the people do not want to hear it so they print what the people like to hear. Much as the last minister of Finance did he told the people what they wanted to hear not the truth.

In the over all picture we the public are partially responsible for buying their nonsense.

Makes no different what country you are in. Journalism will always draw a large number of people interested in getting their articles published and if truth goes by the way side so what.

We as consumers should not buy their crap and they will be forced to change.

I know a dream we do like stories of misery over good news.

The ostensible freedom of the press in the USA is perverted by the blind allegiance of the Media to an agenda they believe and hold to be true (because they say so) in spite of what reality blares at them and all. They are in lockstep with their adored darling, whether he/she commits egregious acts of disregard for the rule of law and/or Freedom of speech.

That is a sad state of affairs in a country that has a tradition of not accepting the imposed hegemony of another nation over them.

Can we expect Thailand to adhere to principles of honesty and righteousness of the press, TV, radio and social Medium?

The people, the Media in Thailand have always had the sword of Damocles over their heads; be it the military or in the guise of archaic, feudal laws to disable and neutralize political enemies.

The Media will continue doing; with very few honorable exceptions, what it has always done: play the song of the Piper.

Would rather have a press that follow the business that produces the paper in competition with other businesses who may have an opposite point of view than one in which the media are wholly controlled by the government of the day. The current junta have their temporary media controls for the reasons they have given, to prevent inciting even greater division, which is fair for the time being. Eventually, in calmer times, democracy can only be served by a free press with different opinions to promote discussion and understanding. There is little understanding if the same brainwashing bull is shoved down your throat day after day.

Defamation laws definitely have to go.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I agree with what you say but not only must those laws go. The public should start demanding to hear good news as well as the bad news.

Until that day comes free press or not free press the news won't change.

• Like 1

Most of the foreign media on the situation here that I have seen has been almost as full of crap as the blustering bleating red sheeple who keep muddying up this forum with their lies and spin, it's truly shocking ! It is true that very little is ever truly objective, always biased by someone's views. Just try and follow as much as you can from as many places as you can and put the pieces together and decide for yourself what you believe the truth to be...

+1

Hogwash most of this.

Wouldn't this be a wonderful thing for Thailand and the Thai people. I can only imagine. Truth! Transparency! Responsibility! Accountability! Sanctions.... CHANGE. ..... sweet.

I sure would brother, but there is something going on, but I guess there are mechanisms to keep the people in control... I hope the Thai's wake up someday.... Then and only then will I return... But all of these words mean nothing at times, seems right now they are coming from all Nation's Leaders.....

What happened to the rice, why is fuel so expensive, why is food becoming more expensive, and why is life not even respected? Are we calling this progress? Years ago in Thailand, it was never like this.... Tisk, tisk.... Has it really changed?

kilosierra