Motorcycle accident yesterday near Maya

bangkok blue

My girlfriend witnessed a fatal accident involving a farrang, roughly 50 years old. He had nothing to I.D him. She's really cut up and needs closure. She saw him fly off his bike and would like to contact his family. If anyone knows anything please post here. Thanks... RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry to read this news. I'm on the bicycle so can feel the threat. But is not this situation one for the police, not your gf?

Technically you're right of course. I think the issue is that she saw the man fly off the bike and be killed, and she needs some closure. She's probably mildly traumatized, and feels a need to "do something."

The best to everyone. Sorry to hear about the farang.

I think this accident happened very recently but before yesterday on Huay Kaew near the Maya Intersection.

I can't figure out what happened. They didn't even clean up the unfortunate persons brains off the road.

Be careful out there.

post-27132-0-47134600-1404533094_thumb.j

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I think this accident happened very recently but before yesterday on Huay Kaew near the Maya Intersection.

I can't figure out what happened. They didn't even clean up the unfortunate persons brains off the road.

Be careful out there.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-05 at 11.01.53.jpg

that's very unusual. i've seen countless fatal accidents here over the years and they are usually very careful about cleaning up all the remains of the victims - similar to the Israelis after bomb incidents. the guys and ladies who do this job are a volunteer force who do it to earn Buddhist merit.

• Like 1

My gf said his head basically erupted on impact... They turned his body over and he was purple across his torso. I'm sorry to put this post on here. But she literally saw him fly through the air. If anyone knows who this might be it would be appreciated so we can pay our respects and even talk to his family. Thanks.

My gf said his head basically erupted on impact... They turned his body over and he was purple across his torso. I'm sorry to put this post on here. But she literally saw him fly through the air. If anyone knows who this might be it would be appreciated so we can pay our respects and even talk to his family. Thanks.

Unusual no one mentioned helmet or no helmet. OP did you gf mention . Saying his head erupted may indicate no helmet if she saw that.

RIP unidentified soul.....

It's my impression that Thai people can take a natural death more or less in stride, but an unnatural death really upsets them. You might try contacting Chiang Mai News if knowing the man's identity might help your girlfriend.

This does seem like an accident where a helmet might have helped, though of course that's not certain. At the very least it would have made the aftermath less traumatic for the next of kin and others concerned.

Be careful out there.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-07-05 at 11.01.53.jpg

that's very unusual. i've seen countless fatal accidents here over the years and they are usually very careful about cleaning up all the remains of the victims - similar to the Israelis after bomb incidents. the guys and ladies who do this job are a volunteer force who do it to earn Buddhist merit.

The remants are still there. Nearly half an inch thick.

Perhaps it's good to not have such things santized from everyday knowledge.

I feel sorry for the family. Rest in Peace.

For the rest: wear a helmet, drive slow and dont take any chances!!

We dont need to loose more lifes in the traffic

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

BKK Blue. Did your GF say the accident was on Huay Kaew Road? And what time of day?

There are a bunch of other recent white accident marks in/near the Rincom intersection.

The accident site I posted was maybe 75 to 100 meters east of intersection.

Going toward old city and on the Hillside 4 side of the road.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Yes cobra... That's the one. It happened around 6:30am yesterday morning. He had a shitty bowl helmet on apparently. She said he took the corner too fast.

I think the only westerners who wear those useless helmets are tourists, many who have little experience with motorbikes.

Yes cobra... That's the one. It happened around 6:30am yesterday morning. He had a shitty bowl helmet on apparently. She said he took the corner too fast.

I think the only westerners who wear those useless helmets are tourists, many who have little experience with motorbikes.

I am not saying you are wrong , but 6:30 am sounds more like someone going to work. time will tell

I can only imagine seeing the accident. Hopefully the memory fades.

I am fairly disturbed just from seeing the blood etc. It's really hard to miss.

Out of curiosity I lingered a while and watched a lot of people walking by.

All types. Farang, Japanese, Chinese, Thai.

I didn't see anyone taking note. No stopping. No headscratching.

I guess a lot of people aren't very observant about their surroundings.

On initial reading of the thread I got the impression that when the mode of transport was mentioned i.e. 'bike' we were talking about a cyclist who had been hit.

On further reading it was mentioned that the driver was wearing a bowl helmet and then a motorbike was mentioned and the speed of cornering. So am I right in concluding we are talking about a motorcyclist who crashed on cornering, and no other vehicle was involved?

The facts seem to be slowly coming out.

I am a cyclist and I occasionally cycle into town via the canal road down to the Maya shopping centre and therefore like to be aware of what accidents have happened and how. I also know of a few people who work in the vicinity who ride motorbikes but they all wear helmets afaik.

As a cyclist and a pedestrian I was surprised to see a thread on the CM forum about a license/permit being required for carryboys / carboys whatever they are called. Why?

B E C A U S E....

The authorities seem to be ignoring the countless pickups often with almost a dozen people standing up in the back waiting to die in any potential accident. ALSO Bull bars seem to be the fashion here, they have been banned in the UK due to the damage they inflict on cyclists and pedestrians. Yes the list is endless here in Thailand.

I sincerely hope the military clamp down on poor driving which might save some lives and take a long hard look at the safety standards here. While the H&S aspect may have taken a step too far in the UK in some areas it's at times like this that you reflect and ponder what if.

My heart goes out to his nearest and dearest.

• Like 1

Statistics show that the safest helmet is a full faced helmet...and speed kills, no question about it. If the victim flew through the air it sounds like what they call a high-side crash, which is the most dangerous kind. Unfortunately there are no riding skills classes offered in Chiang Mai (every year when I return to the States I take an intermediate or advanced motorbike riding class to keep my skills polished), but there are many excellent videos on YouTube about safe cornering techniques, brake handling, emergency braking, etc. which might save you from an accident or worse. Please watch, and keep the shiny side up as they say.

It's a strange accident and well past the actual turn.

Could have been high side.

It looks like the rider hit the ground at the beginning of the white markings. Also its on the inside of the turn.

If it was high side then maybe high speed. Or maybe was passing a slower vehicle and lost control near the curb.

Any other details about speed? type of bike? or proximal vehicles?

Props to BKKBlue for finding out his identity.

Who knows maybe his family members want more information.

Puzzling that the accident site is very far from the corner. I can't understand how it could be part of a turn.

It sort of looks like he just ran into the cement pole because there are debris markings on the sidewalk but no real sign of impact on the pole.

Here is the long view.

post-27132-0-67656600-1404640903_thumb.j

Bangkok Blue, Thank you.

I have just been notified by his wife this morning by telephone. I'm Shocked.

My good friend Stefan Niederlechner leaves behind 3 children and many friends that will miss him.

His family have been notified.Thailand/Germany.

God Speed Dude, I'll miss ya.

I'm in Los Angeles at the moment and would like any information regarding this tragedy.

If you have any information Please PM me.

Thank you

Edited by highonthai