Constructive criticism please

soistranger

Im a guy that hangs with 98 percent only thais and they give me cheap beerd every bar I goto then I see a lot of rich guys ring the bell and buy me drinks and the thais milk them for everything they have , whilst I just sit there and recieve discount and free booze ........

Am I a cheap charlie?....

Yup, been there - many years ago I used to fly in from Hong Kong on a Friday night and hit the town quite hard on occasion, the bills ran to thousands of baht and mostly all spent in the same place, it was a time of favorable exchange rates, high income and low costs in Thailand. I stopped doing that for a number of reasons, the most significant being a dispute with the owner/manager over 100 baht "I owed". It was a good lesson.

chiang mai, on 05 Jul 2014 - 17:22, said:snapback.png

You'd need to be a farang god before a Thai bar owner would give you discount booze, that you are not, I can tell.

Haha that is so true. I remember I stayed in Kanchanaburi for 2 months in 2011, I have previously been there a few times before and there was one partucular bar I used to regularly drink in. Anyway, when I stayed there for 2 months in 2011 I drank in this bar nearly every night (great times) and would buy the owner and the staff a shot each almost every time I was in there. I was friendly with the staff and manager and when I left Kanchanaburi swapped numbers with the manager. I spent a fortune in that bar and bought the manager and staff a lot of drinks.

I went back there a few months later with a couple of friends for a long weekend and we also spent a lot of money in this bar. On the last night we ended up in this bar, I said to the staff and manager that it was my last night so came to have some drinks and say bye. I was already pretty drunk when we arrived at this bar. Anyway, had a few drinks in this bar and left.

Was on the bus leaving Kanchanabrui the next day, and the manager phoned me and asked me if I was still in Kanchanaburi, I said I had already left and asked why. He said I had forgotten to pay my bill of about 400 baht. I was gobsmacked.

Ok ok 400 baht is 400 baht and I did have the drinks, and If I had only been in there a few times before then I could understand him being anxious to get the money. But for 2 months I spent a shiteload in that bar, bought him and his staff many many drinks.... and I forgot to pay 400 baht one night and he's phoning me to see if I am still in Kanchanaburi to pay it!!

You are gobsmacked that he called to remind you to pay a bill. I am gobsmacked about that.

You'd need to be a farang god before a Thai bar owner would give you discount booze, that you are not, I can tell.

Haha that is so true. I remember I stayed in Kanchanaburi for 2 months in 2011, I have previously been there a few times before and there was one partucular bar I used to regularly drink in. Anyway, when I stayed there for 2 months in 2011 I drank in this bar nearly every night (great times) and would buy the owner and the staff a shot each almost every time I was in there. I was friendly with the staff and manager and when I left Kanchanaburi swapped numbers with the manager. I spent a fortune in that bar and bought the manager and staff a lot of drinks.

I went back there a few months later with a couple of friends for a long weekend and we also spent a lot of money in this bar. On the last night we ended up in this bar, I said to the staff and manager that it was my last night so came to have some drinks and say bye. I was already pretty drunk when we arrived at this bar. Anyway, had a few drinks in this bar and left.

Was on the bus leaving Kanchanabrui the next day, and the manager phoned me and asked me if I was still in Kanchanaburi, I said I had already left and asked why. He said I had forgotten to pay my bill of about 400 baht. I was gobsmacked.

Ok ok 400 baht is 400 baht and I did have the drinks, and If I had only been in there a few times before then I could understand him being anxious to get the money. But for 2 months I spent a shiteload in that bar, bought him and his staff many many drinks.... and I forgot to pay 400 baht one night and he's phoning me to see if I am still in Kanchanaburi to pay it!!

You are gobsmacked that he called to remind you to pay a bill. I am gobsmacked about that.

You are missing the point.

No, i understand the point you try to make. Its only a onesided 1. You order drinks, leave without paying and are surprised he reminds you about it a day later. If the name of his bar was...Charity Bar....you would have a real point.

I have never ever seen a 'bell' in a Thai bar, can you name one? The only places I have seen them are in tourist/sex bars.

"never ever" ... "only place I have"...say what! facepalm.gif

When he says "Thai bar", he's obviously referring to bars frequented by Thai people.

No, i understand the point you try to make. Its only a onesided 1. You order drinks, leave without paying and are surprised he reminds you about it a day later. If the name of his bar was...Charity Bar....you would have a real point.

Ok then mate.

Well let's put it this way, if the poster was banging the same BG for 2 months and paying on every occasion, should he expect a freebie because of all the money he has spent previously ?.... One thinks, not a business transaction is a business transaction after all

You should always pay on the night it saves you getting fleeced the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Well let's put it this way, if the poster was banging the same BG for 2 months and paying on every occasion, should he expect a freebie because of all the money he has spent previously ?.... One thinks, not a business transaction is a business transaction after all

No, this wasn't the situation.

The father of modern economics wrote a century or more ago:

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest."

Seems as if the OP and a few hangers in this thread are just figuring this out.

• Like 1