Intercooler Diesel Conversions?

MaiChai

I notice that a diesel turbo engine that is fitted to most pickups can get a good power boost by fitting an intercooler. In fact the Mazda/Ford 2500cc model being promoted at the moment gets most of its impressive horsepower boost because it has an intercooler. My questions, if anyone has any experience, is: how easy is it to fit an intercooler, are kits readily available, and what adaptions are need to the engine (eg the control unit). Was just wondering if I can get one fitted to a current model common rail diesel for more power/better fuel economy.

I have fitted a intercooler to a Toyota 1KZ engine (3 liter turbo). The additional boost is noticeable but don't get too excited. Also is depends a bit on where you place it (the cooler). Up front or on top of the engine and then using a scoop on the hood. There are lots to say for each position but I still prefer on the front.

As for kits available, probably yes but expensive. If you have a handy mechanic he should be able to do this without a kit, because it is not too much more then piping the air out of the turbo through the cooler to the inlet. I paid Baht 8,000 for the cooler the piping and the labour.

I notice that a diesel turbo engine that is fitted to most pickups can get a good power boost by fitting an intercooler. In fact the Mazda/Ford 2500cc model being promoted at the moment gets most of its impressive horsepower boost because it has an intercooler. My questions, if anyone has any experience, is: how easy is it to fit an intercooler, are kits readily available, and what adaptions are need to the engine (eg the control unit). Was just wondering if I can get one fitted to a current model common rail diesel for more power/better fuel economy.

I believe in another thread you said that you just bought a new pickup (Triton I think it was). Bear in mind that if you want to modify the engine you will invalidate the manufacturers warranty.

Hey moonoi, I was thinking about doing this some time down the road; I mean the warentee did cross my mind. Interesting thing is that this pickup is available in the UK with the same engine and an intercooler to give more power, so I suppose you could fit the official Mitsu one, providing you can get it for a reasonable price and not invalidate the warentee.

I also did some research on the internet and it may be necessary to tweak the engine management system if you add an intercooler. This is obviously possible cause when I test drove the pickup, i mentioned it could do with a some more performance (but then there were three adults in the vechical which is not the same as driving alone). The sales guy told me the computer had been tweaked for max fuel economy, to compete with Isuzu, and if I wanted more performance (but with worse fuel consumption), then they could tweak the engine management system for me. I mean my Thai is good enough (but 'clunky') to hold these sorts of conversations :o