Police crackdown at airport now (Saturday 21.30pm)

simon43

There is a police checkpoint on both sides of the airport road, (just before the airport entrance), and many extra police checking inside the airport car park. No sign of army personnel, just police.

Probably looking for farangs operating and driving illegal taxis

Then they won't find any - I work at the airport as a TPV, not a taxi driver smile.png

Interestingly, my hotel guests told me this morning that there was no 'fast-track' immigration line last night at the airport - the police presence maybe scared the scammers....

Edited by simon43

I was there from 21.00 through to 00:45 and saw no obvious extra presence other than a small police duty parade at about 22:00.

[./quote]

Ah, clearly I was dillusional about the police double checkpoint on the airport road and the vast increase in police officers within the airport pick-up area.

I'll go and take my medication and lie down.....

• Like 1

A farang neighbour and his Thai wife went to the airport last night to pick up visiting relies from Europe. She drove.

Stopped by the army, she was accused of being a black taxi, taken to a room occupied by several others, and told to wait.

Hubby stayed in the car. She was there for some time before a BIB asked what she was doing, and she was able to explain her circumstances and allowed to leave.

Army apologetic if somewhat over enthusiastic with their assessments.

A farang neighbour and his Thai wife went to the airport last night to pick up visiting relies from Europe. She drove.

Stopped by the army, she was accused of being a black taxi, taken to a room occupied by several others, and told to wait.

Hubby stayed in the car. She was there for some time before a BIB asked what she was doing, and she was able to explain her circumstances and allowed to leave.

Sigh....pretty gross when going to the airport (or maybe leaving, and being more than 1 person in the car) you are automatically suspected of running an illegal taxi service.

Cannot expect the situation remaining so knife edge for a long time.

Thanks for the report Croc.

Sigh....pretty gross when going to the airport (or maybe leaving, and being more than 1 person in the car) you are automatically suspected of running an illegal taxi service.

I think it would depend on the exact situation. But a Thai driving foreigners, with the foreigners in the back, I think would be suspect. Foreigner up front would be better, It would also depend on the kind of car, smaller sedan more likely to be taxi than big pickup, and more similar variables.

I think it would depend on the exact situation. But a Thai driving foreigners, with the foreigners in the back, I think would be suspect. Foreigner up front would be better, It would also depend on the kind of car, smaller sedan more likely to be taxi than big pickup, and more similar variables.

pajero sport

pajero sport

Not your typical taxi.

pajero sport

Not your typical taxi.

In retrospect, not your typical airport taxi, but quite a few of the illegal drivers do drive a Fortuner or Pajero.