why are used cars so dam expensive in LOS?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the auctions to find good prices on all kinds of cars and trucks.

This is where many dealers buy the cars they sell.

I was told all the auctions have reserve prices on the cars and trucks so you're not likely to score any great bargains. You also can't drive anything beforehand.

• Like 1

Go to the auctions to find good prices on all kinds of cars and trucks.

This is where many dealers buy the cars they sell.

I was told all the auctions have reserve prices on the cars and trucks so you're not likely to score any great bargains. You also can't drive anything beforehand.

Yeah...so it's okay if you're doing it as a business and buying in lots. You already have an estimate of the repair/fix-up costs for a given number of cars and the number of complete clunkers in the bunch so you can price your bids accordingly. Not so easy to do if you are buying ONE vehicle for oneself and if you happen to get the lemon in the lot it's an expensive mistake.

One of the nicest things about owning a lemon in Thailand is that the cost of rectifying it is very small.....partly why secondhand cars cost so much in the first place.

It costs more to get in the game (of owning a car), but you lose a lot less getting out. I've owned my 10 year old Isuzu for 4 years, cost me 400,000 then and still worth around 250,000 now. 150,000 baht for 4 years of trouble free motoring is cheap in my book, I'd drop more than that the first day I drove a new car out of the showroom in Australia. A friend of a friend only buys new prestige cars in Oz, Mercs, Porsche Cayennes, Range Rovers etc, not uncommon for him to drop $50,000 or more after owning one for a couple of years, or less.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the nicest things about owning a lemon in Thailand is that the cost of rectifying it is very small.....partly why secondhand cars cost so much in the first place.

Ha. I have 400k into the repairs of mine.