Has the "Rainy Season" been cancelled ?

worgeordie

I think I screwed things up when I recently posted in the "rain" thread that as far as I was concerned it was wetter than average so far, despite stats saying different. Not a drop since sad.png

Sure need some rain, as the local farmers are having a burning frenzy, preparing their fields for the next rice planting. Windows closed, & "when can we go outside to take care of our land without a respirator?" bah.gif

Edited by MESmith

Chiang Mai is well behind on monthly average rainfall but looks more promising next few days with large system over Laos.

Average figures quoted on weather sites are meaningless unless you live close to the measuring site. Up until a week ago, where I live was very wet, probably same for WG.

Hope it starts soon so the 4W.D. lot can tell us how they could never got to Lotus without it.wub.png

The roads have been tarmacked now, "up north". No need for 4WD to go to the shops. How long since your last visit? whistling.gif

Chiang Mai is well behind on monthly average rainfall but looks more promising next few days with large system over Laos.

Average figures quoted on weather sites are meaningless unless you live close to the measuring site. Up until a week ago, where I live was very wet, probably same for WG.

You are correct. I have a friend who lives on the west side of the city and I on the East side. She often tells me that they are having rain there when we are not here.

The statistics are what they are. But I had always been under the impression that the real rainy season started in August.

took a drive today in the area near and across the river from Dok Kaew Gardens (beautiful area) and it poured real good for about 2 hours including all the way through Wiang Kum Kan and Saraphi but when we got home it was still dry as a bone in Sansai. we haven't had a drop of rain in Sansai for more than a week now. having to water the garden twice a day. we need rain...

Rainfall sure varies over a short distance. Here in Mae Taeng we have had about eight days in the last two months without some rainfall. It has been quite wet, but the last four days have been dry with rain visible only on the mountain tops. It has been a struggle to keep the grass cut with all the rainfall here this year.

I've long observed, that my friends on the West side of the plain, get more rain than we do on the North-east side.

It's certainly been 10-days, since we had more than a short shower, here in Mae-Jo.

Perhaps we'll get lucky today ? smile.png

American weather experts have predicted a more severe than normal El-Nino for this and possibly the next 5 years due to higher than normal temperatures in the pacific ocean. The real negative effects are expected to kick in around August. Affected will be mainly America SE Asia and Australia. After reading this i only planted rice on 40 Rai and rented out the other 180 Rai cheaply. I will just wait and see. Incidentally here in Surin many of us are still waiting for our rice money,despite what the junta say's the bank has said they have very little money to keep paying and are waiting for the rice to be sold in order to commence payments.

Actual showers can be very localised. That said, here in northern Isan the rainy season has got off to a very slow start. Nevertheless, still time to stock up on swimming pool chemicals and salt at our special rainy season prices to replace the loss of all those valuable chemicals through rainwater dilution.

I'm on the east side of CNX, outer ring road near Bosang. and we haven't had as much as we normally have this time of year. But yesterday my wife called from Central Festival Mall and said it was pouring down there, so I needed to bring in the clothes she had hung out to dry. No problem, but not a drop hit here all day, or last night as far as I can tell.

Every year is different. I've been here when the the rains started heavey in May and continued. Other years when not much fell until late August-September. That said, I think this year is driest to date in 11 seasons here. Then again, the cool weather lasted 4 times as long as most years.

You are correct. I have a friend who lives on the west side of the city and I on the East side. She often tells me that they are having rain there when we are not here.

The statistics are what they are. But I had always been under the impression that the real rainy season started in August.

I can believe that,we live only 15 km from Prasat in the country,friends phone and say its pissing down in Prasat and all we get is a little wind.

I live in Central Thailand 65 km from the weather centre next to the Mae Wong national park and though we get the odd shower the government water supply which comes from Mae Wong is shut off and we have no water other than that stored in my 27 ongs.

I have been here 10 years and I know this will be a dry year but I don't remember government water running out in July before. February onwards to Songkran it is normal to have no water supply.

I think I screwed things up when I recently posted in the "rain" thread that as far as I was concerned it was wetter than average so far, despite stats saying different. Not a drop since sad.png

Sure need some rain, as the local farmers are having a burning frenzy, preparing their fields for the next rice planting. Windows closed, & "when can we go outside to take care of our land without a respirator?" bah.gif

been getting rain almost daily up here in Chinag Rai. Really coming down at this moment and it was raing all night so right now I'd say it's been rainging for a solid 16 hours.