Lousy Wedding

luckizuchinni

That's a bloody long drive to get there, and then turn around. Nearest places that actually have anything would be Chanthaburi or Rayong.

Sounds a nightmare, think I would be booking myself into a nice hotel for tonight to get away from The Village people who have now invaded your house.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry it might have been a badly arranged wedding but a lot of your story sounds exaggerated.

You think so? I do not go to Thai Weddings, for this very same reason, and it is because they can't get their, you know what together! Punctual is not in the Thai vocabulary.... It is what it is. Just depending on where they are getting married. kilosierra

The groom may as well run the family farm as his career is over. He showed he is not man enough to control his wife or her family. Well that does not bid well for his future as a officer or husband.

May also say the lack of a thanks and basic respect you were shown for the ride,indicates your statue in the family as well as your wife's. Sorry as an elder and family member you are to be shown respect, not treated like the what the dog dragged in form the alley.

I have been to many a wedding and yes some had their family disputes but none treated guests with a lack of respect as you mention. Truly unacceptable in any normal Thai family.

Sorry it might have been a badly arranged wedding but a lot of your story sounds exaggerated.

Actually, the only implausible part of the story is that no one ran the red light even though there were no cars from the other side for up to a minute! Which begs the question: did this even happen in Thailand?

Great story, OP. But I have to say, as far as mayhem and bloopers go, nothing compared to an Indian wedding.

T

Sure hope you still have all of your furniture and appliances when the extended "family" finally decides to go back to their own homes. Can't imagine the kind of life that couple are going to have though, if the families are squabbling like that at the wedding.

My friend, with regards to the flopped wedding, the baggage in your car on the way back,the baggage downstairs in your living room, etc, etc, YOU MADE YOUR BED, SO LIE IN IT: you married a Thai.

In the 9 years together, I've seen my in-laws once, when I was first introduced, and never again.

But, a hilarious story! Please keep us up to date!

No local shops?

No local market?

Nobody with a barbecue or rice cooker?

Nobody had the phone number for a mobile noodle m/c stand?

Just sounds strange.

KFC deliver, so do McDonald's or even pizza hut

The closest one is probably 70 km away in Rayong, so no, I don't think so. I saw a 7-11 35 km away in Klaeng, though, so there was that. smile.png

When I saw the title in the news letter I thought it was your wedding. Luckily not.

zuchinni, I know approximately the area you describe. Just past the Khao Chamao turn off, right? Its mostly farms out there and the people can be a bit rough.

Not all Thai are generous. How many times have we not read stories here of country folks who are just straight up rude? They can be cheap skates too.

Also, you took the wrong way to get there.What you should have done was get off the 7 right after the toll gate (Ban Bueng) and taken the 344. It goes straight down to Klaeng. Just one light. You took the long way round. The 3 from Pattaya to Rayong does suck big-time. There is a new Lotus in Klaeng, but after that there is FA. Vegetables are more expensive down there for some strange reason.

I don't understand why people say to stay away from Thai weddings. They can be fun.

OP > I wouldn't mind joining in with my partner's family to some extent . . . but there are limits . . . and you my friend blew past ALL the limits I would have imposed to ensure the happiness of myself and my partner.

What a drama . . . the groom's career is <deleted>, there's obviously something a lot deeper and bigger going on, and I for one wouldn't be anywhere even close to it, family or not.

oh I know I've had just a little too much wine and and waiting for the delivering of tonight's meal magic from "Meals "on Wheel". Hubby will soon wake up from his late afternoon nap and be totally amused with my cooking.

There is no excuse for any event in Thailand ever running out of food, except for the hosts wanting send a not-so-subtle-message.

Nancy

I agree sounds like they are a pack of Chart Ma

Sounds all a bit too strange. A Thai wedding that starts late morning, more towards noon? Not enough food for everyone? A story of someone saying that the police officer would give up his job to become farmer? Real fiction story!

Sounds all a bit too strange. A Thai wedding that starts late morning, more towards noon? Not enough food for everyone? A story of someone saying that the police officer would give up his job to become farmer? Real fiction story!

Not every wedding is identical though is it. I believe the story 100%

Usually the whole monk chanting takes up the first part of the morning.

I was at one wedding where the dinner menu was served, but not enough for everyone so tiny serves. I thought fine, I can eat later, just happy to have some beers, but when that ran out, only 2 bottles for myself, I wasn't impressed.

Half the wedding guests walked out.

Cha yen yen. You dont attend Thai weddings every day. Just treat this as an one off bad day. Dont sulk over this.

This is Thailand after all and you just a guest.

<deleted>.. A guest... Get off your high horse!

I haven't read all 55 replies, but when I read out this story to my G.F. her theory was that the Groom may have got the Bride pregnant before they got married and this was a way for the Bride's parents to get back at him.

Just a theory but they definitely made the Grooms family loose face on purpose so there must be a reason behind that.

Just went to a Thai village wedding. There was a Buddhist monk ceremony first that I missed with 9 monks. Then a Lao ceremony followed by a Thai one. Groom was a Farange friend. The bride was a US resident Thai woman who introduced me to my Thai GF. I have only been living in LOS for 3 weeks. After the wedding we had a huge feast and then we traveled 300 kilometers to a mountain resort for a reception with mostly different group of friends and family from Bangkok. Drank, ate and sang karaoke until midnight. It was a wonderful day and the bride organized a spectacular wedding. Of course maybe it was easier because there was no groom's family to keep happy. Now in Hanoi traveling with the honeymoon couple.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great story ... alt=thumbsup.gif>

"when he is told the bride's family insisted that the ceremony go early and the show is over"

Why did it happen early?

I have no idea. It was supposed to be at 11:00, and it was over when we arrived at 10:00. Only the money line was going.

premature detonation thumbsup.gif

Just went to a Thai village wedding. There was a Buddhist monk ceremony first that I missed with 9 monks. Then a Lao ceremony followed by a Thai one. Groom was a Farange friend. The bride was a US resident Thai woman who introduced me to my Thai GF. I have only been living in LOS for 3 weeks. After the wedding we had a huge feast and then we traveled 300 kilometers to a mountain resort for a reception with mostly different group of friends and family from Bangkok. Drank, ate and sang karaoke until midnight. It was a wonderful day and the bride organized a spectacular wedding. Of course maybe it was easier because there was no groom's family to keep happy. Now in Hanoi traveling with the honeymoon couple.

You go ON HONEYMOON with your best friend?? Now this is an even more hilarious story! Keep it coming, please!

It sounds as if the bride's family were greedy sots and the groom's family were cheap and poor planners. However, the misinformation as to the whereabouts of the wedding; hence your circuitous and time-consuming route; and to the numbers of passengers you were to haul, was at your wife's hands.

Edited by smotherb