Suzuki Gladius SFV650 vs. Kawasaki ER6-N?

Hi guys, I'm having a hard time finding comparative reviews for these 2 similar mid-weight naked bikes. On paper they are very similar with the exception of the cylinder arrangement. The Gladius is also a bit more expensive (by 44K) and is made in Japan. The Kawa has a ton of after market accessories and mods here in Thailand but I'm not looking at doing anything drastic anyway. Riding will be for fun, mostly in Bangkok (thankfully not in Sukhumvit area) with the occasional weekend getaway. This will be my first bike.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have owned a ER6N for 3 years now , 0 problems and I think a great bike for the price . I think a better looking bike than the Gladius IMO . But maybe you should be looking at the new Honda CB650 in that price range . I bought the new BMW F800R last week and it's a pretty big step up on the Kawasaki ER6N but a lot more money at ฿ 440,000 .

Have you taken the Honda or the Kawasaki for a test ride ?

Hi, I test rode the CB500F, it was pretty nice to ride, very smooth and easy to handle but none of the naked Hondas look nice to me, not ugly either, but just boring and dull.

I'm arranging a test ride on the Suzuki (it's way out there in Pathumtani) and will want to do the same with the Kawasaki. Do you know if there's a main showroom for Kawasaki that has a demo bike?

Hi, I test rode the CB500F, it was pretty nice to ride, very smooth and easy to handle but none of the naked Hondas look nice to me, not ugly either, but just boring and dull.

I'm arranging a test ride on the Suzuki (it's way out there in Pathumtani) and will want to do the same with the Kawasaki. Do you know if there's a main showroom for Kawasaki that has a demo bike?

They do test rides at Wong wian yai branch/thon buri.

Also at their Rama 9 showroom before.

Not sure for Suzuki. I think no test rides for them.

Test ride cb650f - not cb500f - at Honda big wing once too just in case.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'll get in touch with them.

I asked Suzuki about test rides during the show, they said yes no problem but ONLY in their office in Rangsit-Ongkharak. I was advised to contact Mr. Suparoke from that office on his cellphone to arrange this.

I asked Suzuki about test rides during the show, they said yes no problem but ONLY in their office in Rangsit-Ongkharak. I was advised to contact Mr. Suparoke from that office on his cellphone to arrange this.

There were no test rides from the main BKK Suzuki dealership, as I have already tried there and Ubon. Like LL suggests, my attention has now been diverted onto Honda (650).

They are all great bikes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There were no test rides from the main BKK Suzuki dealership, as I have already tried there and Ubon. Like LL suggests, my attention has now been diverted onto Honda (650).

They are all great bikes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was just given this piece of paper at the show 2 days ago, clearly they do test rides but not in all locations. I think it's worth heading out there for a test ride despite the inconvenience.

post-43886-0-79717000-1404662647_thumb.j

• Like 1

^

rambling, give them a call.

alternatively, you can visit their showroom at Avenue Ratchayothin. Sales guy can speak good English and i ma sure they sort you out there.

• Like 2

I don't think too much has changed in these bikes from 2009 so this might sway your decision.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/3654/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Kawasaki-ER-6n-vs-Suzuki-Gladius.aspx

Gladius wins here.

I like the look of the ER more but the dynamics of the Gladius read better.

You're entering the bigbike world so try to have good protective gear and use it.

Can you tell us of your bike riding experience?

If this is your very first bike with an engine, I would highly recommend a step through scooter or another small (120kg) bike so you can learn what riding in Thailand is like.

A 200kg/70HP bike might be a less than safe choice if you have little riding experience.

Edited by ttakata

I don't think too much has changed in these bikes from 2009 so this might sway your decision.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/3654/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Kawasaki-ER-6n-vs-Suzuki-Gladius.aspx

Gladius wins here.

You're entering the bigbike world so try to have good protective gear and use it.

If this is your very first bike with an engine, I would highly recommend a step through scooter or another small bike so you can learn what riding in Thailand is like.

A 600+cc as a beginner bike in Thailand might be a less than safe choice.

Not saying you can't handle it, but a big, heavy, and fast bike can add up to problems fast to someone with no riding experience.

Thanks for the review link. They do seem to like the Gladius quite a bit more in this review. Mainly because of the engine.

Yes I plan on wearing full gear without skimping on quality.

It is indeed my first bike, and I'm conscious of this very good point you raised. A scooter will not cut it for trips and going out of the city so that's out. A smaller displacement is also an option, which is why I was looking at the CB500F initially, a bike aimed squarely at new riders. I also considered the Ninja 300 but I prefer more "standard" naked bikes, upright sitting, wide handlebars. I don't see many options left, especially in the 'new' market. I have been driving a car here for the past few years daily so I'm not entirely new to road conditions but yes, a bike is different, it's something I'm very aware of.

Thanks for your comments.

i would probably get the er6n because there is every imaginable aftermarket parts available

all over the place

the suzuki might be a little better built in japan etc but less places to get it fixed ,spare parts and mods etc

kawa cheaper too

i would get a v-strom instead of my versys but i can get versys parts everywhere ,suzuki big bike network is

still fairly weak

or just get the honda 650 ?

• Like 2

If you're not a speed demon and can control yourself, a bigger engine isn't really a problem.

I'm more concerned if you are going to accidentally dump the clutch leaned over mid turn and low slide the bike.

Kawasaki has the Z250 (naked Ninja 250) with comfier bar position.

You might want to go rent a few different bikes too.

Maybe even check out the big Forza 300 scooter if its available to rent.

You might want a fairing/big windscreen if long highway trips are planned.

Reacting and avoiding obstacles is so much easier with a lighter bike.

Also picking up a 120kg bike off the ground is easy, but a 200kg bike not so much.

Just some things to ponder.

The reviews i have read mainly all said that the ideal bike would be a ER6-N with the engine of the Gladius. But i guess the Gladius will hold its value much better. There are so many used ER6-N now for little money.

I think best option should be honda cb500f at the beginning for some months. It is a great little forgiving bike. Kawa er6n is heavy really especially for bkk.

Never rode a gladius but it is lighter and looks more managable.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Gladius wins here.

If this is your very first bike with an engine, I would highly recommend a step through scooter or another small bike so you can learn what riding in Thailand is like.

A 600+cc as a beginner bike in Thailand might be a less than safe choice.

Not saying you can't handle it, but a big, heavy, and fast bike can add up to problems fast to someone with no riding experience.

Thanks for the review link. They do seem to like the Gladius quite a bit more in this review. Mainly because of the engine.

Yes I plan on wearing full gear without skimping on quality.

It is indeed my first bike, and I'm conscious of this very good point you raised. A scooter will not cut it for trips and going out of the city so that's out. A smaller displacement is also an option, which is why I was looking at the CB500F initially, a bike aimed squarely at new riders. I also considered the Ninja 300 but I prefer more "standard" naked bikes, upright sitting, wide handlebars. I don't see many options left, especially in the 'new' market. I have been driving a car here for the past few years daily so I'm not entirely new to road conditions but yes, a bike is different, it's something I'm very aware of.

Thanks for your comments.

er6n had a major makeover around 2010

it looks a lot better now than the old model that they reviewed imo

Yes, I'm sure the CB500F is plenty of bike for me, most likely for longer than some months. I'm not looking for high top speeds or impressing anyone. The Honda is also a good price. Too bad it just doesn't look attractive to me. And since the bike is a leisure toy for fun rather than a commute then that's an important part.

Btw re weight, the CB500F is only about 12kg less than both ER6N and Gladius which are about the same at 200Kg (curb).

I also agree the ER6N looks better now, also had a few small technical updates and improvements, such as to the frame. I'll have to test it myself and see how it feels.

The Z250 looks good but it's an ultra budget bike for Asia only based on a discontinued Ninja 250 and needs high revs to get it going. Not sure it's for me.. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Just popped by the Suzuki dealer at Major Avenue, I was told the same thing about test ride, only at the head office. I'll just have to go there then.

Edited by rambling

P.S The Suzuki guy said they'll be bringing the new GSR750 to Thailand towards the end of the year. Not a model I'm considering but just thought I'd share this info as it looks like a sweet ride. He said all their bikes coming into Thailand are Made in Japan export models (USA specs).

Yes, I'm sure the CB500F is plenty of bike for me, most likely for longer than some months. I'm not looking for high top speeds or impressing anyone. The Honda is also a good price. Too bad it just doesn't look attractive to me. And since the bike is a leisure toy for fun rather than a commute then that's an important part.

Btw re weight, the CB500F is only about 12kg less than both ER6N and Gladius which are about the same at 200Kg (curb).

I also agree the ER6N looks better now, also had a few small technical updates and improvements, such as to the frame. I'll have to test it myself and see how it feels.

The Z250 looks good but it's an ultra budget bike for Asia only based on a discontinued Ninja 250 and needs high revs to get it going. Not sure it's for me.. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Just popped by the Suzuki dealer at Major Avenue, I was told the same thing about test ride, only at the head office. I'll just have to go there then.

good luck. post your impression here after the test ride.

but as your first big bike, cb500f is plenty of bike for you as you stated plus you save 120 k thb for lots of accessories, aftermarket parts or petrol and service for years.

On top of that, it is really a forgiving bike. easy to ride and if things go wrong, such as a drop, it is cheaper to fix with a better, efficient service at many areas of Thailand.

too bad you dont like the looks of it but dont forget, you dont see/care about the looks once you sit on it and ride!

also cb500x is 192 kg and kawa er6n is 206 both with abs and gladius is 202 kg - cb650f is also 207 kg. so 14 and 12 kg difference between honda cb500f and which you feel that extra kgs in the city for sure.

also does suzuki gladius comes with ABS for that price?

Edited by ll2

Funny, I like the 2009-11 ER6n much better than the new one. Just bought a 09 model in showroom condition with only 69km on it. :-)

The Gladius looks good too. If you're not crazy about a few hp more, imo the more rational decision would be to go with the ER6n. Price, parts, maintenance....all favor the Kwak.

But then, buying a bike is rarely a rational step.

I, too, would suggest renting a smaller bike for a few days (250cc) to get the feel for it. I don't want to sound too morbid, but in the last 2 weeks there have been several posts on the ER6 facebook group of accidents with less than fortunate outcomes. They sure are a good reminder that we are all just a short step from the other side.

Whatever you end up getting, be careful out there.

good luck

Yeah the Gladius comes with ABS as well. I'm only looking at Bikes with ABS.

Congrats on your purchase Omega. Where did you buy it from? Were you not worried about the history of the bike?

Just had a look at the ER6N group on FB. Nasty accidents, I can't read the posts but looks like collisions with cars at urban speed?

Ride safe..

Sure, I was skeptic at first, but after meeting the guy and seeing the bike I knew it was the real deal. Long story short, the guy can afford to have more toys than time.

That's a good approach I think, buying from an individual you can assess yourself. Can I ask where did you see the ad? I'm interested in checking out the 2nd hand market as well.

no doubt the CB500 is an excellent beginner bike.. it was my first bike in fact. Learned a lot with, made many small driving mistakes but since the bike is so forgivable, not big enough of a mistake to cause accident.

it's a great bike.... but depending on you, you might get bored and upgrade too soon loosing money. I do lots of touring up to 400KM out of bangkok and it's quite good. can sustain 120-130KM/h easily 2 people up. it can go much faster but not very stable and breaks+tires are not that good.

ER6N is another type of bike thou, lots more power. but you might as well just go for the CB650, a bike that you will not upgrade anytime soon.,

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1

Sure, I was skeptic at first, but after meeting the guy and seeing the bike I knew it was the real deal. Long story short, the guy can afford to have more toys than time.

That's a good approach I think, buying from an individual you can assess yourself. Can I ask where did you see the ad? I'm interested in checking out the 2nd hand market as well.

I found it on olx.co.th, formerly known as dealfish. Lots of nice bikes there.

2 months ago he advertised it for 190k. I liked it, but not thaaaat much. He then advertised it again for 175k, that's when I got more interested. Got down to 170k, deal done. You should see it...it's absolutely in mint condition. I put up a few pics on the ER6 thread on TV.

Buying a brand new bike sounds nice, but the practical part of me just can't stomach the loss of value you have to face as soon as you ride out of the dealer. With my deal, I guess I got the best of both worlds. :-)

Edited by OmegaRacer
  • Like 2

I found it on olx.co.th, formerly known as dealfish. Lots of nice bikes there.

2 months ago he advertised it for 190k. I liked it, but not thaaaat much. He then advertised it again for 175k, that's when I got more interested. Got down to 170k, deal done. You should see it...it's absolutely in mint condition. I put up a few pics on the ER6 thread on TV.

Buying a brand new bike sounds nice, but the practical part of me just can't stomach the loss of value you have to face as soon as you ride out of the dealer. With my deal, I guess I got the best of both worlds. :-)

Just saw your bike on that thread, man you got a fantastic deal. Very nice color too.

Makes me think that a brand new Gladius at 319K may be more irrational than I can, or at least should, stomach.

Having had a SV650s back in Singapore for like 6 years (2001 model with carburator), now I have an 2011 ER6n, I'd say the SV felt lighter, easier to handle a bit mor agile. The ER6 is not bad, but I'd go back to the Suzuki any time.

check mocyc.com too with the help of google translation which is enough. - market page.

also these guys:

https://www.facebook.com/breezbigbike?fref=nf

also red baron and 59bikes.

good luck rambling.

second hand kawa er6n 2010 with abs is going for around 170 - 190 k thb. for revised nicer 2012 model and up with abs is going for 200 to 220 k thb.

second hand honda cb500f is going for around 155 - 160 k thb nowadays.

you can seriously consider a second hand one too as saving are cool and with those savings, you can buy yourself a good helmet and riding gear.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did not. I ended up getting a second hand Honda CB500F. I put a couple of pics in the What do you ride thread.

After reading more and getting more advice from forum members a few things changed in my mind: 1. I realized none of these bikes were my "holy grail", I don't even know what my grail bike is yet. 2. I needed a bike that was suitable for a complete beginner. 3. I saw I could save quite a bit on a second hand bike. So I went back to test the Honda which as I mentioned was perfect for me except that I didn't like its looks and eventually decided I could live with that for my first bike while I practice and figure out "what's next". So far (well it's just been a week) I'm happy with my decision and even grew to like the looks of the bike (as often happens once you're all in on something).

• Like 1