Adobe house building in the Cm area

wigantojapan

stucco yes.....way too wet for adobe.

If he has built them in Pai and they have no problem with them I am sure it would work well here in Chiang Mai.

Maybe if possible a few pictures would be nice.

Also a challenge for Dave.biggrin.png

• Like 1

My first thought upon reading the subject as well; however, if its being done, its vitally important to have very extended roof overhangs and build on high ground with good drainage away from structure on all sides.

• Like 2

Not at all.....adobe can be very successfully built in the wettest environments..like any type of construction you simply allow for the conditions and built to suit them.

From a company in NZ [read rainy!!]

1. Will adobe brick walls wash away in the rain?

stacks_image_325_1.png
This is probably the most common question. The answer is no.

A well-designed mix resists degradation and will remain durable for centuries. At any point, the building can be plastered, with the same material the bricks and mortar is made from, to further enhance durability.

The use of a small percentage of stabilizer, such as Portland cement, can be added to increase the resistance to moisture in wet climates.

Typically a roof overhang of just 1 foot (300mm) is sufficient to protect the walls from rain.

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

The guy is needing work to finance his sister to go to medical school.

..If any of the posters are thinking of starting a natural build or have started and are needed extra hands and expertise ,,let me know.

..sorry its good that people have shown an interest but i will only ask him to supply photos of his work if you are genuinely interested in getting an adobe built

or any other natural material ,,Thank you..Of course please feel free to comment about the subject cheers

The guy is needing work to finance his sister to go to medical school.

..If any of the posters are thinking of starting a natural build or have started and are needed extra hands and expertise ,,let me know.

..sorry its good that people have shown an interest but i will only ask him to supply photos of his work if you are genuinely interested in getting an adobe built

or any other natural material ,,Thank you..Of course please feel free to comment about the subject cheers

As a retired builder, I usually found it helpful to volunteer photos of my work.

I suppose a certain amount of that motivation was from pride in my craftsmanship.

It sounds like the guy has some real creative talent so I am disappointed not to see a photo.

When you say adobe are you actually saying he builds with adobe brick?

In fairness, I do not intend to employ his services--however, adobe is a common building material in CO where I am from. The real merits of adobe structures are their wall thickness is actually a design function to optimize the fluctuation in daytime/nighttime temperature.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

not may burmese people have cameras

and yes he does do brick adobe as well as other forms...

.I have asked him now to supply some photos as possibly some of the foreigners who were on workshops with him ,or even projects of his they had visited might have photos

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see photos of what he has built.

You can, but you will probably need Adobe Photo Shop to view them.

This sounds like another advertising ploy for someone. Why doesn`t the OP try advertising in the classified section?

My first thought upon reading the subject as well; however, if its being done, its vitally important to have very extended roof overhangs and build on high ground with good drainage away from structure on all sides.

Also makes me wonder if it would be possible to spray on a sealant ...or is that not possible, with adobe? I would think moisture and dew would fester in a prolonged period of rain/extreme humidity.

This could be a cool project, but how much would cost? I would live in adobe too, no problem, I saw a youtube video of someguy building in in Thaialnd, so I know it is possible, he was a falang....but he made only one video with no info and steps between

In Thailand it's very important to shield adobe walls from sun as well as rain. If exposed to direct sunlight, adobe will absorb lots of heat during the day and then release that heat at night. This can make for an uncomfortably hot house. But I agree with others who say that adobe is perfectly suitable for Thailand, given proper planning. Jo at Pun Pun is a great local resource for natural building.

• Like 2

http://www.chiangmailifeconstruction.com/products/adobe-walls/

Our kids school has been built with adobe walls, wet weather is no issue.

and that school was built 3 years ago? if not how long ago?

and how long does it take to test the viability of building materials?

5 years ago, still as good as day one.

Read their info sheet on their website if you want to know more.

they aren't in there at night, though. I don't know how much cooler Pai is at night, but as another poster said it works in places where it is a lot cooler at night because the thick walls give off the heat they absorbed during the day. If it was really practical; you would see a lot of them, like you do in places without trees...there, it is practical. Tons of wood here. I don't think it is sunny enough either...if you aren't making the bricks onsight it looses even more practicality. The bricks need to be baked in the sun. In the wet climates, people add cement, so then you are talking about masonry finish, which is more like stucco.

Stucco....and wood frame, chicken wire, then stucco is way better than block in the heat, and you can fill the area between the studs with great, cheap insulation, and your 20 cm wall will insulate as well as a three foot thick adobe wall. The tree huggers come up with some good ideas occasionally; this is not one of them.

A friend of mine (he is "hyperactive") told me his grandma lived in an adobe house and would hose down the floor before he came over, because all his running around would create a dust cloud...it was a dirt floor. House lasted for ever....but, it was hot as heck during the day, a large temp drop at night, and less than 20 cm of rain per year. And almost no lumber available....

they aren't in there at night, though. I don't know how much cooler Pai is at night, but as another poster said it works in places where it is a lot cooler at night because the thick walls give off the heat they absorbed during the day. If it was really practical; you would see a lot of them, like you do in places without trees...there, it is practical. Tons of wood here. I don't think it is sunny enough either...if you aren't making the bricks onsight it looses even more practicality. The bricks need to be baked in the sun. In the wet climates, people add cement, so then you are talking about masonry finish, which is more like stucco.

Stucco....and wood frame, chicken wire, then stucco is way better than block in the heat, and you can fill the area between the studs with great, cheap insulation, and your 20 cm wall will insulate as well as a three foot thick adobe wall. The tree huggers come up with some good ideas occasionally; this is not one of them.

A friend of mine (he is "hyperactive") told me his grandma lived in an adobe house and would hose down the floor before he came over, because all his running around would create a dust cloud...it was a dirt floor. House lasted for ever....but, it was hot as heck during the day, a large temp drop at night, and less than 20 cm of rain per year. And almost no lumber available....

Everything you said is accurate...but an old trick was ox blood on the floor which solidifies the dirt.

Cheers

• Like 1

Everything you said is accurate...but an old trick was ox blood on the floor which solidifies the dirt.

Cheers

They only had rice and beans, but thanks for the tip. "A large diurnal range of temperature" is the term I was looking for... Those clay bricks are real cheap here, I think the Cambodians make them.......Teakwood house on stilts is about 500 times more prevalent than adobe here (if not more) for a reason.......it's cooler, cheaper, and more durable.

The Great Wall of China is mostly made of adobe and compacted earth...stood the test of time well..its been there for a year or two..

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see photos of what he has built.

You can, but you will probably need Adobe Photo Shop to view them.

This sounds like another advertising ploy for someone. Why doesn`t the OP try advertising in the classified section?

Probably because not many people look there for for an adobe house.

I just had lunch with a friend from Pai. I asked him about it and he said there was quite a few Adobe buildings in Pai.

Edit

It is good information to have for future references. I believe a couple of years ago a fellow was trying to start up a commune built with a lot of Adobe .

Maybe some home owner in to gardening would be interested in it for a shed.

Edited by northernjohn

the question of sun in Thailad then you have to build the roof high enough so not so much sun is sitting there,

,that heats up the whole house,,..also you would have different angles and length of over hang on east .west and south facing walls..

there is also window sizes and air vents at lower and higher parts of the wall to increase the flow of hot stagnant air

you could make the walls as thick as you like in more hotter CM climate as opposed to Pai.

you can build a liveable long term adobe for 100000 baht no problem .

the guy does know what he is doing and immigration s not a problem for him

The Great Wall of China is mostly made of adobe and compacted earth...stood the test of time well..its been there for a year or two..

This was mentioned a few times when we inspected the school being built. Learn something new everyday (unless you're a jaded old Thai Visa know it all expat).

• Like 2