NCPO: all motorbike taxi drivers to wear green uniform

webfact

'... orange may indicate that the drivers are still under the control of local mafia.'

Indicate, as in 'they are'? Or as in suggest? Because if the NCPO is as serious as it seems, I would expect all motorcycle taxis to be either registered, or off the road.

I think for quite some time now in the U.S. and elsewhere, it has been established that "safety lime yellow' is safer for fire trucks, safety vests, etc. and it is mandated for use at airports in the U.S. I do hope this is the color they have in mind! Reflective stripes are a good idea also.

Have a look here:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=safety+lime+yellow&client=firefox-a&hs=yfn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nny6U-TqC9e78gXO1oGgDQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1224&bih=801

Yes that is exactly the color I was thinking of when I saw this article...

Not so long ago there were numerous colors worn by motorcycle taxis in and around Bangkok. They introduced the current orange vests and enforced those to be worn for the same reasons given in OP here. That must not have worked, so by changing the color to green achieve anything different?

I would think that they would have thought of a high visibility color. But Obviously Red is out of the Question. Same goes with Yellow. With Orange associated with local mafias - what color are they left with? GREEN? Surely, they could have done better than that!!!

How about burnt orange?? Green is for smoking.

Green is for the Army, who else should control the motorcy wins in this climate!!! nudge nudge wink wink... army green, he's MMMinnnneeeee

I would think that they would have thought of a high visibility color. But Obviously Red is out of the Question. Same goes with Yellow. With Orange associated with local mafias - what color are they left with? GREEN? Surely, they could have done better than that!!!

The very bright fluorescent green has been shown as more eye-catching than even orange.

Most Countries have made the switch for their highway workers years ago.

You might wish to find something else to complain about ;-)

• Like 1

Just received a TV text that vests are to remain orange. ???

Yes you're right, the vests (in Bangkok anyway) are going to remain orange but with a luminous green stripe front and back, I kid you not. Probably a "face" thing.

The idea could be to have them as military reservists

On another matter, I once approached a motorcycle taxi chappie for a 40 baht ride, but only had a 1,000 baht note on me. I asked him if he could change it - before getting on the bike, he replied "No problem" and pulled the biggest roll of 1,000, 500 and 100 baht notes out his vest that I have ever seen

Just like a London cabbie!

Change the colour of the vests and the mafioso problem is gone. Yayyyy! clap2.gif

.....Seriously? blink.png

I believe there is more to this. I prefer to give it time since I'm not on the inside and don't have all the details.

When there is little to criticize, go after the color? Petty at best.

". . .. latest attempt to standardize and regulate the famous mode of public transportation".

Don't they mean INfamous?

I suppose it depends if one is a pessimist or optimist.

Every one seems negatif in this forum not even giving any benefit of the doubt for improvement but in the past when helmets became compulsory it took times and for taxis meters to be ON it was long struggle still few taking chances.

Green is an idea if only to enforce its new color to all the existing under scams actors mafia and non mafia workers.

Let it be and ourselves to refuse to ride orange vests.

we also have to cooperate.

Come on.

The Army is trying to put the leeches who control every 'win' (motorbike station) out of business. Organised crime is very much in the cross-hairs right now, very belatedly.

It's no joke -- riders really do have to fork out serious money to these mafia pimps to get an orange jacket, which leads them to a) charge too much and b ) drive too fast and work too hard, increasing the likelihood of accidents.

How a centralized system actually works out, we don't know, but I support the Army's efforts to squeeze all sorts of parasites, thugs, pimps and general moochers until it hurts. And I think most Thais would agree with me.

Edited by RickBradford
  • Like 2

99% off you guys commenting on this matter, are surely the saddest most sceptical people I've ever heard. For goodness sake give the army a chance, Take your heads out of the pint pot,and give these guys a chance. Your not really helping matters are you??

99% off you guys commenting on this matter, are surely the saddest most sceptical people I've ever heard. For goodness sake give the army a chance, Take your heads out of the pint pot,and give these guys a chance. Your not really helping matters are you??

The 99% maybe off a few points, but I agree with your sentiments.

Actually this is a serious topic despite...say guys like the last one posted here...ummBSJ ,but he is not lonely.

The mafia charging for an orange jacket is where the jacket is just a token

Now its going to be green and the mafia will still charge for It because thats the system not the colour of the jacket.

I saw articles about how the army came to m/c pickup points and the bad guys went away, the army went away and then the bad guys came back.

Changing the colour won't work. The lads will be copying that jacket before the first one is issued.

Dear General you need to work out something thats going to get their attention or the mafia will continue in the motor cycle taxis.

Good luck with that

Oh wow I almost missed it!

Its the same answer as the taxis

Just get the people who bare paid to license these M/c taxis to get out of their seats and go monitor the m/c taxis.

Oh and as they issue the new green licensed coat they can record where these guys operate from and every day they can go check up on them

Hey that would actually get these office bound people out into the fresh air and actually doing their job
What a win.

I am so pleased with my self for thinking of that.

what about the provision of crash helmets for passengers? A bit more important I would have thought if making 'reform

You can't be serious!! I say do away with all laws requiring crash helmets and leave it to the operator to decide whether to wear one himself

But, you're talking about making PASSENGERS wear one. What kind of nut-job moves from a nanny state in the west and wants to impose the same onto the people who live in his new "home"? If someone wants to risk injury by not wearing a crash helmet, so what... that's his business and not anyone else's. I'd bet you're the kind of person who thinks people should be forced to wear a crash helmet when walking on a city sidewalk.

Besides, the helmet issue is only so the cops can have an income.

People choose to live in a different country for reasons that have at least something to do with conditions in the country they came from. Right? Yet, the first thing they do is to start agitating to change the laws in the new country to make it just like the old one. Talk about arrogance!!

Go back where you came from!!

what about the provision of crash helmets for passengers? A bit more important I would have thought if making 'reform

You can't be serious!! I say do away with all laws requiring crash helmets and leave it to the operator to decide whether to wear one himself

But, you're talking about making PASSENGERS wear one. What kind of nut-job moves from a nanny state in the west and wants to impose the same onto the people who live in his new "home"? If someone wants to risk injury by not wearing a crash helmet, so what... that's his business and not anyone else's. I'd bet you're the kind of person who thinks people should be forced to wear a crash helmet when walking on a city sidewalk.

People choose to live in a different country for reasons that have at least something to do with conditions in the country they came from. Right? Yet, the first thing they do is to start agitating to change the laws in the new country to make it just like the old one. Talk about arrogance!!

Putting words in his mouth then? Then a rant with a trite old "nanny state" chestnut?

Someone needs to go home, I agree with you there.

Lonestar--The new official farang spokesman of the Thai people.

Using arrogance to fight arrogance.

First post, no less? Only a Texan.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

I took those in power 2 months to do what you just did in 2 lines.

what about the provision of crash helmets for passengers? A bit more important I would have thought if making 'reforms'

Do you really want to wear a helmet that others have worn.....yuck.

The army will organize a short training course to educate some 1,000 drivers of traffic laws and public safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/motorcycle-taxi-drivers-jackets-will-light-green-colour-near-future/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-07-07

Helmets are what is needed for public safety, better to use one that's 'unsanitary' than to have your brains splattered in the road.

My heads itching just at the thought of it... lice, fleas, dandruff, ringworm. I'd prefer to take the risk, by not wearing a helmet, the same we did before helmet were made compulsory, that is, from when man first stood upright. Helmets are NOT for "public" safety, they are for personal safety.

Jacky54 said there should be a” provision for crash helmets for passengers” That means people would have a choice. Yes that is a really valid point Jacky54.Please don’t go back where you come from.