Thai doctors urge gyms to take precautions to prevent deaths from heart attacks

webfact

I always got a laugh from my father. He has never exercised one minute in his entire

life. When I asked him why, he felt that it simply wore your body out faster.......

He is 89 and in perfect health, so maybe his theory is valid. Going to the gym

and stressing your body to the limit may not be as beneficial as it seems. Clearly

that was the case with this guy...

Montgomery once boasted to Churchill that he neither smoked nor drank and was 100% fit. Churchill replied that he smoked and drank and was 200% fit.

Going to the Gym is a great idea, but here's the thing. You are not training for the Olympics or an Iron Man marathon you are just working out to stay fit and have some tone. Too much ego involved, I can lift xxxx Kgs I can run xxxx Hrs. Super protein drinks are becoming a problem with very young people developing heart disease.

Pls shed some light on how protein drinks + young people = heart disease

Just the usual gum-flappin'.

Just the standard put the gymrats down because i look like a lard ass and I feel better if i can make fun of those who are in shape.

Problem for guys posting this crap is that their statements have absolutely no scientific grounds.

I wonder what "super protein drinks" are because a standard protein drink holds 24-30 grams of protein double if you really want too.

A half a kg T bone steak has 105 grams of protein.. wonder if that classifies as a super super protein meal then. (not that i take 500 gram t bone steaks)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the deceased, but will this result in a crackdown on people attending gyms? How about those who run around Lumpini Park.

Ok good advice to see a Dr before doing strenuous exercise but seems like a kneejerk reaction.

Crack down on bike riding gym goers.. those in pickups are excluded biggrin.png

But yes its crazy for people who never exercised and are out of shape to go in full exercise mode without consulting a Dr or building it up slow.

Unfort thais do know what AEDs are, but even trained CPR/first aid/AED cerrified ppl are not legally allowed to use an AED in thailand. They are trying to change that law.

If thai gyms would hire certified personal trainers holding cpr/first aid certs, this would be less of a problem. Along with having the trainers that are certified do proper acessesments. Most gyms will not hire a non-thai trainer, no matter how good their credintals are,and background in training.

There are assesment tests put into place, and the PAR-Q questionaire to acess fitness levels and where a person should start. Some people DO NEED TO and SHOULD get clearence from a dr. before starting exercise programs and should also work along with dr/trainer due to how deconditioned they are.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rinnie

but even trained CPR/first aid/AED cerrified ppl are not legally allowed to use an AED in thailand.

Untrue. That is an urban myth. There is no law against the layperson using an AED.

Please then, tell that to my last 2 cpr instructors, my pt instructor, and the last lawyer i spoke with when i opened a buisness here 2 years ago.

Unless they finally changed the rule, i did my last cert in Nov.

Btw, i am a certified personal trainer, 10 years, special population and weight managment is more of what i deal with. Not sports. i just re-sat the exam to switch the company i was with (NSCA) to the company i wanted but was inconvient at the time (ACE)

And no, i don't train here, as i said above, most gyms only want thai trainers or do not want to deal with work permits.

Not going to argue. I will go by what i was told. You go by what you were. Now if an AED was there, would i use it, you bet you a$$ i would.

Edited by rinnie

Hello,

What should we do and where to go to where good equipment is available to check our heart ?

Thank you.

A Hospital or Dr I imagine

Lol but seriously all the hospitals have fairly affordable "check-up" packages based on your age. Starts at about 3000B and go up to 15000B for the "executive" check-up at private hospitals. I do these ever couple years. According to my age they recommended a package that was about 4500B last time. Back home this would cost several hundreds, if not thousands of USD.

http://www.phuketinternationalhospital.com/en/health-check-ups/

but even trained CPR/first aid/AED cerrified ppl are not legally allowed to use an AED in thailand.

Untrue. That is an urban myth. There is no law against the layperson using an AED.

Please then, tell that to my last 2 cpr instructors, my pt instructor, and the last lawyer i spoke with when i opened a buisness here 2 years ago.

Btw, i am a certified personal trainer, 10 years, special population and weight managment is more of what i deal with. Not sports. i just re-sat the exam to switch the company i was with (NSCA) to the company i wanted but was inconvient at the time (ACE)

They didn't changed the rule because there never was a rule. There has been nothing written prohibiting or restricting use of AED's in Thai law or medical protocol, ever. There is, however, laws regarding the use of MED's (manual external defibrillators) and this, through translation issues or general ignorance, has been applied incorrectly by some to AED's.

The other issue fueling the misunderstanding is the lack of "good Samaritan" protection laws in Thailand, but this is a civil and not a criminal issue. This can still be an issue for someone providing CPR and 1st aid, but as an AED cannot harm a person, even if used by a person with no training at all, it is impossible to be held liable for misusing it. They are idiot proof.

Here is the clarification letter from the Thai Resuscitation Council. You can share this with your CPR instructors and lawyer if you wish.

AED.jpg

My previous thread on this issue:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689839-aed-use-by-non-thai-doctors-not-illegal-in-thailand/

Going to the Gym is a great idea, but here's the thing. You are not training for the Olympics or an Iron Man marathon you are just working out to stay fit and have some tone. Too much ego involved, I can lift xxxx Kgs I can run xxxx Hrs. Super protein drinks are becoming a problem with very young people developing heart disease.

Pls shed some light on how protein drinks + young people = heart disease

Just the usual gum-flappin'.

Just the standard put the gymrats down because i look like a lard ass and I feel better if i can make fun of those who are in shape.

Problem for guys posting this crap is that their statements have absolutely no scientific grounds.

I wonder what "super protein drinks" are because a standard protein drink holds 24-30 grams of protein double if you really want too.

A half a kg T bone steak has 105 grams of protein.. wonder if that classifies as a super super protein meal then. (not that i take 500 gram t bone steaks)

yes some ugly fat one find a reason to discredit the fit one........

And yes 500 gram T Bone steak is really too small for even children...never bought one below 750 Gram...900 gram is just right.

They didn't changed the rule because there never was a rule. There has been nothing written prohibiting or restricting use of AED's in Thai law or medical protocol, ever. There is, however, laws regarding the use of MED's (manual external defibrillators) and this, through translation issues or general ignorance, has been applied incorrectly by some to AED's.

The other issue fueling the misunderstanding is the lack of "good Samaritan" protection laws in Thailand, but this is a civil and not a criminal issue. This can still be an issue for someone providing CPR and 1st aid, but as an AED cannot harm a person, even if used by a person with no training at all, it is impossible to be held liable for misusing it. They are idiot proof.

Here is the clarification letter from the Thai Resuscitation Council. You can share this with your CPR instructors and lawyer if you wish.

AED.jpg

My previous thread on this issue:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689839-aed-use-by-non-thai-doctors-not-illegal-in-thailand/

Oh i know they are suppose to be idiot proof, but have you sat through a class to get certified for AED? Oh man, lets not go there. And i am not talking about here. Lets just say, i am glad they use fake ones in class.

I am not at all trying to argue, please do not think that, going off info i have been given for years.

As for good samaritan law, yes i do know how that has been twisted and know that is why ppl will refuse to help. (Also how they much prefer to vdo & snap pictures instead, through personal experience when i had a problem)

Lived here longer than my join date to thaivisa (alot longer) and just do not post, so not a newbie.

I do appreciate the link, and will def read it.

Also have someone checking too.

If things are being misunderstood, and wrong info is given out by instructors, then it needs to stop.

As for the man (RIP) he worked for the same company my husband does.

Still all in all, gyms here need to hire trainers that are certified as a layperson and can recognize signs of danger. (And give us non-thais a chance)

AED.jpg

Printing that off and paper clipping to my card. Will be a "Never leave home without it" thing. Thanks!

Edited by rinnie

AED.jpg

Printing that off and paper clipping to my card. Will be a "Never leave home without it" thing. Thanks!

Then you will probably want the original, clearer, PDF version. You're welcome.

TRConAEDs.pdf