Late night pub/bars (not nightclub) - Suk

Daewoo

My flight arrives at 1:10 am, and I'm only in BKK for 2 nights... so want to get out a bit, a couple of hours past 2am closing...

Pretty keen to grab a few beers and listen to some (Filipinoe cover band) music, but not keen on 'doof doof' night clubs... think beer and pool and a little dancefloor more than party drugs and electronica...

Don't care if it's a hooker joint, as long as that isn't it's only reason for existing... I'll be flying solo, so in bar company would be a bonus...

I'm staying on Suk Soi 4, so preferably won't spend half the night in a Taxi - somewhere easy to find would be best...

Suggestions please.

Ahh - Bamboo Bar - long time since I went there

I used to stop there for refreshments while walking to Soi Zero.

Diplomatico, thanks, I was thinking QPP, but last time I tried QPP (which I really like in the afternoon and evening), they were all pulling down the shutters at 1am.

So - Thermae is exactly what I'm not looking for - i.e. only reason it exists is as a hooker joint.

I won't be taking a girl home, so somewhere with lady drinks so the girls are happy to chat, play some pool, spend some time without needing to to move outside the bar...

Does Bamboo fit that bill??? In what way has it changed?

Cheers,

Daewoo

So - Thermae is exactly what I'm not looking for - i.e. only reason it exists is as a hooker joint.

I won't be taking a girl home, so somewhere with lady drinks so the girls are happy to chat, play some pool, spend some time without needing to to move outside the bar...

Does Bamboo fit that bill??? In what way has it changed?

Cheers,

Daewoo

I thought the laughing face after the first suggestion was a bit of a giveaway, apparently not enough so!

The lower end of Soi 3 is now home to people from many African countries and the first couple of soi's north of suckie is the subject of frequent raids by Immigration and the Thai SWAT equivalent, the end product is typically two or three trucks of people being removed, it's scary to watch. Bamboo aint what it used to be.

I thought the laughing face after the first suggestion was a bit of a giveaway, apparently not enough so!

The lower end of Soi 3 is now home to people from many African countries and the first couple of soi's north of suckie is the subject of frequent raids by Immigration and the Thai SWAT equivalent, the end product is typically two or three trucks of people being removed, it's scary to watch. Bamboo aint what it used to be.

Not being ungrateful, but no, I didn't get the sarcasm, and if I'd been carted away in the back of a truck, you'd have been responsible... :D.

OK, back to the drawing board. It's a shame, 'cause Bamboo used have some nice staff.

county roads soi cowboy. Live band

Is that the big pub on the corner on the end at Asoke? I only knew it as the band bar.

The couple of times I've been there, I felt a bit uncomfortable, felt there seemed a lot of Thai boys spoiling for trouble.

county roads soi cowboy. Live band

Is that the big pub on the corner on the end at Asoke? I only knew it as the band bar.

The couple of times I've been there, I felt a bit uncomfortable, felt there seemed a lot of Thai boys spoiling for trouble.

Likewise. Their after hours upstairs activities were almost exclusively Thai.

Still a week to go -

Normally the 2am closing is a big deal for me - If I'm in town for leisure (or weekend) I will have started drinking at midday, so well and truly wrecked by 2am. If it is a work day the next morning, I should already have pulled up stumps...

It is just this flying trip, which is really just an excuse to let my hair down before another (snooze) week in Singapore... I'm only in town from 2am on Friday night, and Saturday night... I don't want to throw Friday night way completely...

At the moment I am swinging between Hilary2 on Suk Soi4, and that disco that you get to from the underground carpark, but I will have to do some research and see if I can work out where it is. Normally I have someone who knows where to go as a guide, and I just pay the bills...

Don't want a doof-doof nightclub full of children... :D

It is just this flying trip, which is really just an excuse to let my hair down before another (snooze) week in Singapore...

I just moved to BKK from Singapore, and S'pore is 1000x better for late night partying than BKK, unless you are looking for hookers. Loads of places with good bands and open late. For a place with a reputation as a party capital, Bangkok is one of the very worst places for that --- pretty much the worst in SE Asia...give me Jakarta or Singapore any day!

BKK does have some great rooftop chill places, but as for good live music and late night partying? Nope, and has never had much in my many years of visiting before I moved here. When we want to party we go to S'pore or Jakarta for the weekend. Just sayin'

• Like 1

Eppic - I'm guessing either, you're 10 years younger than me (in your late 20s, early 30s) or you have more than a passing tourist knowledge of Singapore.

I've been coming to BKK for work and leisure (on my way to somewhere else in Thailand) for 15 years. I know where to go, when flying solo, to have a good time (and don't mind buying a heap of lady drinks to precipitate it)...

I am sure that Singapore, once you get the hang of it, could be great fun, and more able to make friends in a normal bar/club situation due to there being no language barrier, less social barrier.

I am sure if I was hitting the bars there before I turned 30 like I was Thailand and KL, I would also have had a very different experience.

As someone who is only new to Singapore on a regular (monthly) basis, of a certain age where I can't really hit nightclubs and try and meet people without coming across as an old creap, who isn't interested in just buying sex but wants to have a solid party, Singapore is boring and ridiculously expensive... $60 for a lady drink on Circular Road or 4 Floors just knocks the fun clean out if it...

Also, there just isn't the Internet info on Singapore that there is BKK... I walked the streets of Tanjong Pagar last trip (on a Thursday night) based on Internet info,looking for a busy bar that looked like fun, and they all seemed either dead, or straight up hooker joints.

Give me Queens Park Plaza for a couple of thousand baht for many hours of pool and drinking any day.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by Daewoo

Daewoo, although I first arrived in S'pore as a mid-30's expat on a company-paid package (wow, those were the days!), and lived there more than a dozen years, sadly that is no longer the case. While I agree that cost can be an issue in S'pore, there are plenty of places to go for the more middle-aged crowd. A couple of quick ones that might interest you: Insomnia, at Chijmes (City Hall area). Always a good band, and you would not be out of place going alone. Not expensive by S'pore standards, lots of Filipinas and various other sorts, some working girls and lots of regular party animals. Open til 4-5 am, I believe.

Another good option if you are alone and don't actually want to rent a girl (believe it or not, I never have), would be Brix at the Grand Hyatt. It's expensive, but nowhere near $60 for a drink, and it's loaded with knock-out dressed-to-kill girls representing most of Asia. You won't be alone for long, and no obligations. Generally a top quality band. If you are on a budget, buy a bottle at duty free and do your drinking at the hotel, or go to a pub first. Don't waste time at the 4 Floors of Ho's, I only went there to show my curious tourist friends even though I lived in the Orchard area.

As for Bangkok, I guess if budget is the primary concern, it has it's allure, but it's much more low-rent experience in every sense of the word. Good thing partying is not at the top of my priority list these days. I usually go to the various rooftop venues here in BKK, the true party venues I have been to have been universally horrible, and no quality live music scene that I have found (and I have Thai friends here)

Mods, sorry for the off-topic bits, would suggest the OP visit a S'pore forum for more ideas.

EDIT: I see Insomnia may have closed to to Singapore's relentless urban redevelopment (no respect for history)...I wansn't aware, haven't been there since I moved to BKK late last year

Edited by eppic

It is just this flying trip, which is really just an excuse to let my hair down before another (snooze) week in Singapore...

I just moved to BKK from Singapore, and S'pore is 1000x better for late night partying than BKK, unless you are looking for hookers. Loads of places with good bands and open late. For a place with a reputation as a party capital, Bangkok is one of the very worst places for that --- pretty much the worst in SE Asia...give me Jakarta or Singapore any day!

BKK does have some great rooftop chill places, but as for good live music and late night partying? Nope, and has never had much in my many years of visiting before I moved here. When we want to party we go to S'pore or Jakarta for the weekend. Just sayin'

For a place with a reputation as a party capital, Bangkok is one of the very worst places for that --- pretty much the worst in SE Asia..

Aint that the truth, well said.

Has been that way for years, nothing to do with the present junta situation.

For a place with a reputation as a party capital, Bangkok is one of the very worst places for that --- pretty much the worst in SE Asia..

BKK has plenty of places to party. Might be a different experience though for guys like me in their 20s....

BKK has plenty of places to party. Might be a different experience though for guys like me in their 20s....

Excellent stuff, glad to hear it.

For a BOF like me, seeing as it has plenty of places to party, how about naming half a dozen off the top of your head where I can party all night, and have "sun uppers" in the morning.

• Like 1

^^

I'm all ears on suggestions as well, since none of my wife's 20-something friends have managed to find any, and I never did in the past either. Specifically, how about places that:

• Are open late, let's say 4am or later
  • Have live music by a band that can carry a tune
  • Have attractive women with dialogue skills beyond "hello hansum man, where u stay?"
  • These women dress in sexy fashion, short dresses or skirts, WITHOUT shorts underneath or grandma panties and nasty VPL ( what the expletive is up with that here?).
  • Average clientele are not backpackers or beer-belly budget travelers in flipflops and wifebeater shirts

Soi 11, RCA, and Thonglor certainly have nothing that qualify, but I anxiously await being enlightened on the many venues that do...and BTW, these aren't very stringent Hi-so requirements, basically anyone with a middle class (by US or Europe) standards could easily afford such places.

Bangkok has a lot of nice things going for it (food, anyone?) but as for partying? Can't wait to be proven wrong.

Edited by eppic

Eppic. Seems I was wrong about the age thing :(

Yeah - expat packages - those were the days - I was on one in KL in the early 00s.

I went to Brix, last trip.

At 9:55 there wasn't a single female in the club, at 10:05 after they let hookers in, it had about 200 (or so it seemed).

None of the girls are interested in having a couple drinks and a chat and a party, they are 100% focused on a $200 overnight relationship.

I'm surprised that when you have girlfriends you aren't able to find good places to go (although 2am closing is a hassle). I had some great nights at The German Beer Hall.

Then again, I've had even better nights at Papa2000 in Chumpon and Robot in Loei.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app