Israel, Hamas on collision course as clashes escalate

webfact

During basic training, every IDF soldier studies and analyzes the code of ethics together with their commanders. It is customary for a framed copy of the code to be hung in every commanders office as a constant reminder of the IDF's values and guidelines.

If I may come out of the closet a wee bit, that must be something new to the IDF.

Sorry I think your comment is without merit.

I can not speak regarding the merit, or lack thereof, but a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I spent a few years in the IDF and, well let's just say I never saw any commander with an office other than maybe the batallion commander. And somehow the only times (yes plural) I was invited into that office, most often just a tent, was when I was being brought before the commander on, how shall we say, misbehaving charges and this code of ethics you refer to was never brought to my attention then, nor at any other time.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During basic training, every IDF soldier studies and analyzes the code of ethics together with their commanders. It is customary for a framed copy of the code to be hung in every commanders office as a constant reminder of the IDF's values and guidelines.

If I may come out of the closet a wee bit, that must be something new to the IDF.

I can not speak regarding the merit, or lack thereof, but a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I spent a few years in the IDF and, well let's just say I never saw any commander with an office other than maybe the batallion commander. And somehow the only times (yes plural) I was invited into that office, most often just a tent, was when I was being brought before the commander on, how shall we say, misbehaving charges and this code of ethics you refer to was never brought to my attention then, nor at any other time.

It was introduced in the mid-90's, I think, so might have been past your time in service.

It was introduced in the mid-90's, I think, so might have been past your time in service.

Yes indeed <blush>, well past my somewhat less-than-illustrious days in the big green.

• Like 1

Yes there is a code and its printed on the back of the army id card or attached somewhere on the card soldiers get nowadays but maybe im remembering wrong. Will check daughter's when next here...before then therr was a tacit code of ethics based on jewish values of saving lives if possible which is why gaxains are in israeli hospitals and airforce strikes sre pullled up if civillians are seen and if possible. My was in the first lebanon wsr in sidon and told me many stories of ehat happened when entering houses with families etc and the difficulties he had when faced with searching rooms with babies etc and how, often they would leave and then be shot at as the men of the house used the women and children as protective measures...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a footnote, once upon a time in the IDF there was a real nutty unit that served along the northern border, a unit that somehow lost their ethical basis. The IDF disbanded the entire unit. That was back in my days when there was no talk of ethics in military training but most, not all, but most people knew what was right and what was wrong without need for such talk.

• Like 1