Bahrain orders out visiting US official

webfact

Bahrain orders out visiting US official
Yara Bayoumy

MANAMA: -- Bahrain on Monday ordered a visiting senior US official to leave the kingdom immediately because he had "intervened flagrantly" in the country's internal affairs, the state news agency BNA said.

BNA said the foreign ministry had declared US Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labour Tom Malinowski persona non grata after he "held meetings with a particular party to the detriment of other interlocutors, thus discriminating between one people, contravening diplomatic norms and flouting normal interstate relations".

Bahrain is a US ally in the Middle East and has long provided a base for the US Navy's Fifth Fleet. But it faces criticism over its record on human rights and its military response to the "Arab Spring" uprisings of 2011.

Bahraini mourners at the funeral of an opposition protester in Sanabis, on the the outskirts of the capital Manama. Abdel Aziz al-Abbar, 27, died in April after being shot in the head during a protest earlier in the year. His body was released for burial after authorities agreed to his family's demand to specify he was shot in the official cause of death.

US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Washington was "deeply concerned" about Manama's demand that Mr Malinowski leave immediately.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/bahrain-orders-out-visiting-us-official-20140708-zszu8.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-07-08

For posters above - this is not the ambassador.

Malinowski was on a 3 day visit, per-arranged and coordinated with the Bahrain authorities.

Seems like meeting with opposition Shia groups was quite routine until now, so not quite

sure what this is about.

Kicking out a foreign representative in the midst of a short visit it a bit extreme, wonder

if there's more to it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/bahrain-us-diplomat-asked-leave-24453907

Malinowski was on a 3 day visit, per-arranged and coordinated with the Bahrain authorities.

Seems like meeting with opposition Shia groups was quite routine until now, so not quite

sure what this is about.

Kicking out a foreign representative in the midst of a short visit it a bit extreme, wonder

if there's more to it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/bahrain-us-diplomat-asked-leave-24453907

Pre-arranged the visit might have been, but I would suggest that he probably arranged meetings with people who are considered to be against any peaceful resolution of the current political differences, i.e. the ones whose latest victim was a policeman blown up by an IED early Saturday morning.

Thanks for the link.

Would any of the persons or parties mentioned in the OP and the ABC piece be considered a "deal breaker" as far

as Bahrain goes? Can't say I know details on the situation on this level.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This should be taken as something of a wake up call to the US that their uninvited intervention is an affront to any country.

I am not a fan of what's happening in Bahrain with regard to Sharia Law, but Thailand should take a note out of the Bahraini book and make it very clear to the US that any further condemnation from the uneducated lounge lizards in Washington will receive a similar response.

For starters, Ambassador Kenney should be advised to cease and desist from her particular style of Facebook diplomacy and maintain a much lower profile in future...!!

sure what this is about.

if there's more to it.

Pre-arranged the visit might have been, but I would suggest that he probably arranged meetings with people who are considered to be against any peaceful resolution of the current political differences, i.e. the ones whose latest victim was a policeman blown up by an IED early Saturday morning.

"considered to be against any peaceful resolution of the current political differences"

Yes, it would be political. The reference to Sharia law in the first post cited above is somewhat mystifying & ironic, especially when it's coupled with the comment about condemnation from the uneducated.

"I am not a fan of what's happening in Bahrain with regard to Sharia Law"

"lounge lizards in Washington"

Trying to connect this incident (with a reference to Sharia Law & lounge lizards) to the American Ambassador to Thailand is a bit of a stretch even for a typically garbled TV bar stool pundit-rant.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I would imagine the best thing he could have done is deferred his meetings for a week or so. Bahrain is a small place, so the killing of a policeman is front page news.

Indeed. A bit of flexibility would probably have gone a ways to avoid this mess.

In this case, seems like the embassy should have been on the ball.

The current ambassador is extremely unpopular with many calls from both the Sunni and Shi'a to throw him out.

He is, to say the least, a "bit of a character".

http://altajam3.org/portal/arabic/post/tag/the-petition-of-withdrawal-of-us-ambassador-to-the-kingdom-of-bahrain

Thanks.

Some interesting reading here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-dooley/embassygate-in-bahrain-no_b_5063857.html

http://oig.state.gov/documents/organization/224205.pdf

This should be taken as something of a wake up call to the US that their uninvited intervention is an affront to any country.

I am not a fan of what's happening in Bahrain with regard to Sharia Law, but Thailand should take a note out of the Bahraini book and make it very clear to the US that any further condemnation from the uneducated lounge lizards in Washington will receive a similar response.

For starters, Ambassador Kenney should be advised to cease and desist from her particular style of Facebook diplomacy and maintain a much lower profile in future...!!

Thank you for opinion. I am sure the U.S.State Department will take your view into account. If there are issues in a country, especially if allied to the U.S., how do you propose we try to understand the issues? I favor diplomatic meetings with all parties to try to come to some understanding of the issues rather than trying to send in undercover spies. Any country forbidding meetings with the opposition is trying to control information and that cannot get us to a point of trying to comprehend the issues.

It seems this chap has some previous...

MANAMA: Expelled top US official Tom Malinowski has been personally involved in a catalogue of incidents designed to provoke unrest in Bahrain, it was revealed last night.

The US Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labour has long been known for his hostile stances against Bahrain.

According to an exclusive report in our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej, the controversial US official has a long record in fomenting unrest in Bahrain.

Mr Malinowski took part in an anti-government rally in Diraz in early 2012, well-informed sources said.

A group of saboteurs hid him in a house but police found his hideout and arrested him.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=380745

• Like 1

Expelled US diplomat Tom Malinowski condemns Bahrain

(BBC) A US diplomat ordered to leave Bahrain on Monday after meeting members of a leading Shia opposition group has spoken out against the move on Twitter.

Tom Malinowski, US Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, said the decision was "about undermining dialogue" in the country.

The diplomat met members of al-Wefaq, which the foreign ministry said was an intervention in domestic affairs.

Protests by members of the majority Shia population have been ongoing.

"Seems #Bahrain government decision not about me but about undermining dialogue," Mr Malinowski tweeted on Tuesday.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28221189

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-09

Expelled US diplomat Tom Malinowski condemns Bahrain

(BBC) A US diplomat ordered to leave Bahrain on Monday after meeting members of a leading Shia opposition group has spoken out against the move on Twitter.

Tom Malinowski, US Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, said the decision was "about undermining dialogue" in the country.

The diplomat met members of al-Wefaq, which the foreign ministry said was an intervention in domestic affairs.

Protests by members of the majority Shia population have been ongoing.

"Seems #Bahrain government decision not about me but about undermining dialogue," Mr Malinowski tweeted on Tuesday.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28221189

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2014-07-09

Nah, they think he's a tosser.

smile.png

This fool needs to stay in DC and draw his fat paycheck. He ain't doing any good in the real world.

Edit in:

Following is his resume (CV) when he worked for Human Rights Watch. No agenda with this guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Tom Malinowski
Tom Malinowski, Washington advocacy director for Human Rights Watch and an expert in United States foreign policy, is responsible for the organization's overall advocacy efforts with the US government. He frequently appears as a radio, television, and op-ed commentator on US human rights policy. Before joining Human Rights Watch, Malinowski was special assistant to President Bill Clinton and senior director for foreign policy speechwriting at the National Security Council. Before working in the White House, he was a speechwriter for Secretaries of State Christopher and Albright and a member of the State Department's policy planning staff. Malinowski holds degrees in political science from the University of California, Berkeley and Oxford University.
Edited by chuckd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sure what this is about.

if there's more to it.

"considered to be against any peaceful resolution of the current political differences"

Yes, it would be political. The reference to Sharia law in the first post cited above is somewhat mystifying & ironic, especially when it's coupled with the comment about condemnation from the uneducated.

"I am not a fan of what's happening in Bahrain with regard to Sharia Law"

"lounge lizards in Washington"

Trying to connect this incident (with a reference to Sharia Law & lounge lizards) to the American Ambassador to Thailand is a bit of a stretch even for a typically garbled TV bar stool pundit-rant.

Wow, have I touched a nerve here...?

My reference to Sharia Law is of significant relevance in the context of Bahrain's current development; furthermore, the comment on the uneducated refers to those who make their decisions to condemn Thailand from their cosy offices in Washington without making any effort to see what's actually happening on the ground in Thailand.

I don't do bar stool rants, as I prefer to quaff a good quality Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc in my back garden; however, even though I am not in a position of authority and responsibility, I refrain from spouting political rhetoric on Facebook. This is something that the good lady from the US should consider practicing...!!

Thank you for opinion. I am sure the U.S.State Department will take your view into account. If there are issues in a country, especially if allied to the U.S., how do you propose we try to understand the issues? I favor diplomatic meetings with all parties to try to come to some understanding of the issues rather than trying to send in undercover spies. Any country forbidding meetings with the opposition is trying to control information and that cannot get us to a point of trying to comprehend the issues.

... and what exactly are your views on Kenney's conduct of her political opinion on Facebook? As the Ambassador to Thailand, she should be hauled over the coals in Washington and told to adhere to diplomatic principles, as opposed to inciting opposition to the current administration in Thailand...!!

My reference to Sharia Law is of significant relevance in the context of Bahrain's current development

Well it isn't really, since Bahrain's legal system is an odd mishmash of Sharia, English, French, Egyptian, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all.

Sharia law only really applies to personal issues; in this case the bloke is a diplomat so he hasn't actually broken any laws and he couldn't be punished if he had. Even if he were, it would probably be under relatively recent State Security legislation.

They've lobbed him out because he got up to no good, but in the same breath have assured the US it does not affect relations between the two countries.

In other words, they don't like this bloke because he's obviously a stirrer, and they will probably think hard before letting him in again.

• Like 1