Buying ticket to USA for fiancé

Don't think there is a problem there, as long you don't buy the ticket with your credit/debit card, online, because that has to be shown at the airline, check in, counter by your fiancé.

Use a travel agent, to issue the ticket.

That has been done with me many times in the past and had no problems.

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 1

Answer is, it depends...

- if you buy through a general booking portal online (i.e. ebookers) or with a travel agency, the airline will not care, since they don't have to deal with possible fraud and refund

- if you buy through the airlines webportal, some do care a lot (i.e. Thai wants to have the credit card present), some care a little (i.e. authorization letter from you is sufficient), some don't care at all (i.e. many European airlines).

Can't help with the US carriers, best to read on their website or give the chosen carrier a call

I've dealt with this many times.  Yes, they do care sometimes.  There is always a way around it though.  I think the most I have ever had to do was fill out some sort of credit card authorization form.  That involved copies of the front and back of the card onto their official form with my signature of consent.  Then, I had to fax it into their office and call them to verify.  That only happened once, and I believe it was Cathay Pacific about 6-7 years ago.  Since then, a simple phone call was all that was required.  For whatever reason, the airlines seem to have become more relaxed about this requirement.  That is just my experience.  It's best to call the airline prior to clicking that final "buy" button.

I'm looking at Asiana Airlines through kayak.com. I suppose as long as their names are on ticket all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I've used Travex http://www.travexnet.com/ to do this form the U.S.  Sometimes it seems the tickets are cheaper if you buy them from a Thai travel agent.  As others have stated, I had to fill out a credit card authorization form, scan it and email it to them.

We have looked at prices more closely and they mimic the prices overseas. So seems best to just wire money to get tickets and reduce the risk. Despite what the airline rep says.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

Fiance called Korean Air, made a reservation, then went and paid it.

I thought ticket prices would be higher in Thailand, but that was not the case.

Fiance had a friend whose boyfriend bought a ticket to Australia, bought it there, but the ticket was no honored, and they had to buy a new ticket after he sent cash to her. That ended up doubling the price.

I do recall having to show my credit card when I did fly within Thailand with reservations.

I'm risk adverse when it comes to money and I'd rather pay more to have peace of mind.

Surprisingly, fiance bought ticket about a week before flying and the price was not high. The only downside was that some flights were sold out for economy class.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this matter.

• 3 weeks later...