Buying New TV

klikster

Thought we were buying new TV's yesterday. Did some research and finally settle on new (?) Sony 9 series 55". Wife calls Home Hub in KK, promotion Bt 59K (Normally 65K?). Getting set to go to ATM. Salesman rings back, sorry, no 55" 9 series .. even in BKK!

Has the world cup (not why we're buying TV) decimated the stock of Sony TV's in LOS? Or is "not in BKK" just for Home Hub? Tesco nor Global seem to stock Sony.

ALSO. Visio seems to be getting top reviews and got off the 3-D bandwagon. Price in west is outstanding. Anyone have experience with VISIO in Thailand?

make sure you compare sku numbers and if you have mobile internet, search the sku # on the internet to confirm you are getting the correct model with all the features you want. You may find that you are getting a base model when for like $50 more you could have gotten the mid level or higher end model that allows extra connections you thought was standard in every model.

Funny you should ask about new TVs. I have been running a thread on my website/forum in Surin. This is what I wrote yesterday.

Someone is messing with my head, big time!

Ok, I am doing more and more research into the LG television market and I now understand a little more about their numbering system. Samsung was a lot easier to understand. It's not too unlike Samsung's in so far that 9 is the top of the line, 5 and 6 mid-range and the lower numbers 2,3, and 4 are the budget TVs at the bottom. For example, a typical LG TV number may be 55LA9650 where 55 is the size of the screen in inches measured diagonally, L means LED, A means Ultra High Definition (3,840 x 2,160 pixels and 4 times greater definition than standard HD) and the '9' indicates top of the range while the next 3 numbers is the model. So far so good.

I was looking at the 55" Ultra High Definition model, the 55LA9650, on LG's own website. On the LG Website it is priced at 149,990 Baht - not cheap. I went to PowerBuy in Robinson today and asked for a demo of the same flagship model. Not bad although I was not too impressed with the passive 3D - Samsung's active glasses appear much better on their sets. The price on show was 139,990 Baht some 10,000 baht cheaper than the LG Website. I asked the guy if this was his best price. "No, I can do better but just for you", he replied. He wrote the number on the palm of his hand and offered me the set for 65,000 Baht! Less than half the advertised price in PB. However, before you guys rush out and do a deal be advised that I also searched the web. I found yet another company in Bangkok with great deals on LG LED TVs. Their price for the self same model was 38,590 Baht. This is a staggering 110,000 baht less than the LG Website and still 100,00 Baht better than PowerBuy's advertised price.

The moral to this story is to SHOP AROUND when you want to buy a new flat screen TV. There appears to be some real bargains to be had, especially on the larger 55" models.

This may help you look further afield. Just a thought.

Edited by Nomad97

For the OP, I found several Sony Bravia 55" KDL-55W904A for sale on the internet. They were offered for 48,750 and 52,990 at one site and 45,840 and 48,600 at another. Both mail order companies are in Bangkok and one at least ships with payment on delivery. Look around or, as they say in the Yellow Pages, let your fingers do the walking. In this case, let your search function on your computer do all the work. If that does not work, drop me a pm and I will point you in the right direction. I am not trying to take a commission on any sales, honest! wink.png

If this is the model it is listed as out of stock in Thailand by Lazada
Sony LED 3D Internet TV 55 นิ้ว - รุ่น KDL-55W904A
  • ระบบดิจิตอลทีวี
  • ความละเอียดหน้าจอ 2 ล้านพิกเซล (1920x1080)
  • รองรับการแสดงผลภาพ 3D แบบ Active
  • เพลิดเพลินกับหลากหลายการใช้งานอินเตอร์เน็ตทีวี
45,840 บาท
Before 52,990 บาท , You save 13%
6 month installments7,640 บาท
Notify me when this product is in stock:Notify Me Subscribe to the Newsletter*
*I have read and understood Lazada Privacy Policy
Temporarily Out of Stock

Whether or not the OP can buy the TV that he wants is not really the point I am making. The point I am trying to make is that the televison market in Thailand is very topsy turvy and, if you want to buy a new, higher end, LED big screen TV, is really does pay to shop around - especially with the on-line order companies. Of course, its buyer beware and read the small print first. That said, it appears to me that there are some reputable companies out there, selling new stock (not used or second hand), with full manufacturer's warranty at a significantly cheaper price than some of the big named stores in your local home town or city.

My suggestion is to buy soon

There have been some good discounts with the World Cup

but that will soon be over and my guess is that prices will jump back to normal

I bought the 50" Samsung UA50F6400 and am very happy with it,

full hub and internet connections etc

The 55" was not much more expensive, but more than I wanted to pay

My suggestion is to buy soon

There have been some good discounts with the World Cup

but that will soon be over and my guess is that prices will jump back to normal

I bought the 50" Samsung UA50F6400 and am very happy with it,

full hub and internet connections etc

The 55" was not much more expensive, but more than I wanted to pay

My chosen TV is also Samsung and it is the Series 6 standard that I intend to buy. I would like the 55" UA55H6400 and the discount price for the 2014 model is under 40,000 Baht. The main difference between 2013 model (F) and the 2014 model (H) is the processor. The former has a dual core processor while the latter has a 4 core processor.

I am not so sure that the prices are going to rebound upwards as we are heading into August and the end of the year is not too far away. IMO, many of the big manufacturing companies will soon start clearing the decks of the old models to make way for the 2015 models. I think that is why prices will remain where they are or fall still further. Just a hunch, nothing more.

- Thanks, and no offense, Chicog -- but your pronouncements don't seem to fit with my research. I have read too many comments about Samsung problems.

- 4evermaat, thanks for that tip re sku number. I don't have mobile internet but I'm willing to wait on a trip back home to the desktop.

- IMHO, buying from a drop-shipper is risky. They have my Bt before I get what they say they are shipping. When/if problems arise, I can't get a local company to handle the problem.

- Nomad97, I hear you about the issues addressed above. I also don't necessarily believe that prices are going to jump after the world cup.

For now I'm stuck with my 32" Panasonic with which we have never had a problem -- but difficult to watch with my old eyes from 4 - 5 m. While I am more concerned with picture quality than price, I see the TV's I will buy now to be temporary stand-ins for future OLEDs.

I just got a 2014 42" LG list is 17990b (BigC.. Tesco etc)

Lazada had the 40" at 12990b and an online shop the 42 at 13500b . I went to my local LG shop and negotiated it to 13990b . Super happy with that... it was one of the World Cup deal TV's.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

- Thanks, and no offense, Chicog -- but your pronouncements don't seem to fit with my research. I have read too many comments about Samsung problems.

Really?

I have Five Samsung 55" 6 Series in the office that run 12 x 7 without any problem, and a 55" 8 Series at home that is equally flawless.

So I can't really vouch for what you might have read on t'interwebnet.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Really?

I have Five Samsung 55" 6 Series in the office that run 12 x 7 without any problem, and a 55" 8 Series at home that is equally flawless.

Must be a productive office .. what channel are they tuned to?

Really?

Must be a productive office .. what channel are they tuned to?

Various websites and news channels.

Chromecast is a wonderful thing.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Really?

Really!

Even a few in this sub-forum.

You tend to use comments like "best" and "flawless" in many of your posts. So I discount them to "IMO".

As for your 6 Samsung TV's -- you don't seem to have a basis for comparison.

FYI --

Top 2,318 Complaints and Reviews about Samsung TV

www.consumeraffairs.com › ElectronicsHome Electronics

Edited by klikster

All my reading and research on the Internet say quite definitely that Samsung is No.1 in the LED big screen TV world and LG (Lucky Goldstar) is No.2. Both companies are from South Korea and both have the edge on their Japanese competitors. My personal experience of other Samsung products tend to confirm that the Samsung brand is both innovative and extremely reliable. My next big screen TV will be a Samsung Series 6 machine. The H6400, with the quad core processor, together with the suite of applications, other goodies and the Smart Controller knock spots off it's competitors capabilities - IMHO!

Casualbiker - my thoughts entirely. By quoting the online discount prices to the shopkeeper or sales assistant I find that prompts a significant discount on the advertised price. I have even taken print outs of the prices with me to assist in the negotiating process. I have now got my Samsung 55H6400 down to a 5,000 Baht price difference between the store price and the online price and some 13,000 less than the advertised price. A little more work required and I will be ready to buy. I think I prefer to buy from the shop in town rather than through the Internet. Not that it will make much difference if things go wrong but at least I will have someone local to vent my displeasure. We do have a Samsung Authorised Repair Facility in Surin so, in the worst case scenario and the TV breaks down, there is somewhere local to fix the problem.

Just remember that Sony Thailand sets their prices. Discount them & you are no longer a dealer.

Long time Sony fan is now a happy long time Samsung fan.

I bought a 34 inch Philips CRT from Piyanas. Regretted it almost from day 1.

• Like 1