Ed Visa Changes

I came across this on facebook from the 'HD Visa' company page. These guys have been a good, reliable and early source of information regarding visa rule changes in the recent past.

I asked someone what this Thai language document means and these are the important points that she mentioned, I can't be sure if they apply to all Ed visas but I thought I'd post what I've found here anyway :

For an education visa covering up to 5 months of study you will need to study for 4 days every week, 2 hours per day

For anything over 5 months in length and it's 5 days and 5 hours per day (25 hours per week). In the UK this would qualify as full time education as it's over 21 hours per week.

If you apply outside of Thailand you will require a 'criminal record' or 'police check' from your home country. If you apply inside Thailand you still need the police check but it can be done at police HQ in Bangkok.

Here's the Thai document :

post-44895-0-37545800-1404822071_thumb.j

I came across this on facebook from the 'HD Visa' company page. These guys have been a good, reliable and early source of information regarding visa rule changes in the recent past.

I asked someone what this Thai language document means and these are the important points that she mentioned, I can't be sure if they apply to all Ed visas but I thought I'd post what I've found here anyway :

For an education visa covering up to 5 months of study you will need to study for 4 days every week, 2 hours per day

For anything over 5 months in length and it's 5 days and 5 hours per day (25 hours per week). In the UK this would qualify as full time education as it's over 21 hours per week.

If you apply outside of Thailand you will require a 'criminal record' or 'police check' from your home country. If you apply inside Thailand you still need the police check but it can be done at police HQ in Bangkok.

Bang goes the "studyless" Ed Visa then and about time, a lot of shady characters have abused this visa process too long

If I had my way, all Thai language studies would be done under the control of a Thai University (s) no private schools, study fees go towards grants and fee's of disadvantaged Thai students

This way no more abuse of the visas system by private companies, who do business by arranging dodgy ed visa to stay long term in Thailand without studying Thai properly

You don't have to study Thai to get an Ed. visa.

Bang goes the "studyless" Ed Visa then and about time, a lot of shady characters have abused this visa process too long

If I had my way, all Thai language studies would be done under the control of a Thai University (s) no private schools, study fees go towards grants and fee's of disadvantaged Thai students

This way no more abuse of the visas system by private companies, who do business by arranging dodgy ed visa to stay long term in Thailand without studying Thai properly

I never said you did, yes I know there are ed visa's available for other things, but one suspects the Thai language studies is the Ed visa most abused ?

• Like 1

I think the abuse of ED visas in a number of countries has centred aroun "language schools". I saw a "no study" ED visa available for 17,000 baht yesterday through a visa company. It's pretty obvious from a number of postings here that ED visas in particular for Thai language have been used for people who are trying to stay longer in Thailand, they have even been promoted that way by some schools.

• Like 1

I never said you did, yes I know there are ed visa's available for other things, but one suspects the Thai language studies is the Ed visa most abused ?

Whaaatlaugh.png As i know, most abusers choose english course because its impossible to test.

It only says ED visa which can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate so I don't know what it is about.

Perhaps some requirements to get a multiple entry visa.

I assume it is regarding extensions, as people who visited Samui immigration to apply for that were given this document to hand to their language school. If one wants an extension of 3 months, one has to study 4x2 hours a week. If one wants to get an extension of 6 months 5x5 hours are required.

I guess we'll here more details in the next few days.

• Like 2

So that could be for Samui only not everywhere. Not big news then.

True. But the same source broke the 'overstay=blacklisting' news yesterday and that certainly wasn't confined to Samui. He is very much in the loop of what is happening. He runs a popular visa run company on Samui and volunteers at Samui immigration during busy times. But let's wait and see.

It only says ED visa which can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate so I don't know what it is about.

Perhaps some requirements to get a multiple entry visa.

I assume it is regarding extensions, as people who visited Samui immigration to apply for that were given this document to hand to their language school. If one wants an extension of 3 months, one has to study 4x2 hours a week. If one wants to get an extension of 6 months 5x5 hours are required.

I guess we'll here more details in the next few days.

The three month extension is what most language schools use. Classes 2 days a week, 2 hours a day. Immigration office every 90 days. So, even if it changes to 4 x 2, it's not that big of a deal. At least for those of us that are in it to actually learn the language.

Can somebody explain in more detail about criminal record? If I apply ED visa inside Thailand, in Pattaya in language school, I need also to go to Bangkok and make police check there? And its possible only in Bangkok? At what stage of visa registration I must pass this check - before providing my documents to school, or before getting visa? Where is in Bangkok this police statement?

Can somebody explain in more detail about criminal record? If I apply ED visa inside Thailand, in Pattaya in language school, I need also to go to Bangkok and make police check there? And its possible only in Bangkok? At what stage of visa registration I must pass this check - before providing my documents to school, or before getting visa? Where is in Bangkok this police statement?

You are worrying about something that has not been confirmed yet. Just wait and see what your school in Pattaya tells you what is needed.

All of these immigration things seem to be origination in Region 6 including some statements which have been corrected nationally. Could it be a regional head who has his own agenda or is Region 6 a test region for National policy?

Edited by harrry

The three month extension is what most language schools use.

Classes 2 days a week, 2 hours a day. Immigration office every 90 days.

So, even if it changes to 4 x 2, it's not that big of a deal.

At least for those of us that are in it to actually learn the language.

Maybe not a small deal either: It could double the school price.

People paying ~20'000B/year now may not agree to pay 40'000, or even 30'000...

The three month extension is what most language schools use.

Classes 2 days a week, 2 hours a day. Immigration office every 90 days.

So, even if it changes to 4 x 2, it's not that big of a deal.

At least for those of us that are in it to actually learn the language.

Maybe not a small deal either: It could double the school price.

People paying ~20'000B/year now may not agree to pay 40'000, or even 30'000...

for many the only option will be the thai elite card so 40K will be cheap by comparison