Warehouse filled with rotten rice in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Lite Beer

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that when the dust clears (no pun intended), the write off on the government's balance sheet will be hundreds of billions of baht more than the numbers that are currently being bandied about. I reckon Gen Prayuth is making steady progress to get to the bottom of this, but it's such a huge undertaking that wrapping it up by the end of the month may be a bit optomistic.

I suspect that when the dust clears (no pun intended), the write off on the government's balance sheet will be hundreds of billions of baht more than the numbers that are currently being bandied about. I reckon Gen Prayuth is making steady progress to get to the bottom of this, but it's such a huge undertaking that wrapping it up by the end of the month may be a bit optomistic.

I am given to understand that the inspection of the warehouses would take one month.

So they should be able to come up with a number for missing rice then . I suspect the

investigation for the money trail will take far longer. So Yingluck will still

be twisting in the wind for a while...

The unraveling of the rice scam continues..... Smart posters on TV knew it was a scam

all along, but it is certainly interesting to get an inside look at it. I also look forward to the

arrests starting as well. The red shirt spin should be interesting as the scope of the scam gets

larger and larger. Perhaps the military planted the rotten rice there ? Also Images like the one

in this story are doing incalculable damage to the reputation of Thai rice on the world

market.

The accuracy and ruthless candour of the military government is hardly an indication, that this will harm the reputation of Thai rice on the world market. A cover up, and even worse, the delivery of such rice to a potential international customer, would harm the reputation of the Thai rice! Call it "quality control" on a larger scale. This truly is another positive move of the current government.

Edited by fxe1200
  • Like 1

Sorry, but...

fires might have been caused by aluminium phosphate interacting with relative humidity

What is aluminium phosphate doing in a rice warehouse ?

Try to contaminate the rice above 10 ppm ( 10 microgram per kg ) and you can forget your export to the EU

• Like 2

there's breaking news on FB of a rice storage, where they found that the rice bags got stacked around a metal construction which concealed that underneath it, there was nothing but empty space.

However it was supposed to look like a pile of rice from the ground floor to the ceiling.

We can expect more "empty spaces" emerging to truth !!

AWWWRGGGHH . . .i forgot to read the posts above . . . already out!facepalm.gif

Edited by crazygreg44

These greedy bastards sure tricked Yingluck. She should have been out every day inspecting rice silos instead of wasting her time hanging around in Bangkok trying to run the country. rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

They called an election and the extra budgets couldn't be released. Is it that hard to understand.

It would have been virtually impossible for the system to be self funding. They were paying and costing more than twice the market price for the product. So every kg they sold only funded 500gs of farmer product.

On this rice thing, u do realise that someone who wanted to criminally enrich themselves with rice purchases would not have done it the way they did. I bet they never find any proof of those at the top getting paid over this.

They aren't that smart, and also they aren't that stupid.

But, but, but Thaskin....

Seriously "Thai at Heart", your problem is you put too much sense in your post.

For brainwashed/stupid/daft people is very hard to follow your logic.

They are just left shouting over and over, this silly argument :"its a scam"

Pay attention to the news. The scam part is NOT that the government overpaid

for the rice. That was expected as this scheme was a subsidy. And had everything

been above board, perhaps the losses would have been withstand-able. The scam

aspect will be come clearer when it turns out there are millions of tons of rice missing.

The rice brought in from Cambodia, and lesser quality rice substituted for high

quality rice are simply other components of the scam.

That photo of the rotting rice in the warehouse by DJjamie is astonishing . Clearly there was not

the slightest thought the rice would be sold later. Pretty sure the storage owners

thought the Thaksin clan would be in power forever, and an audit would never come

to pass. So just fling in bags of rice and let them rot....... Meanwhile keep billing

the government............

On a side note, I wonder what the odds are of a single warehouse filled full of damp rice

catch on fire three times. I am going to guess pretty small.... :-) Chinese / Thai lightning !!

Exactly. If they find millions missing that is where the scam will come. As yet they have less than 100,000 Mt. The rumour is apparently 3,000,000 tonnes.

A figure that big should be quite easy to find and since they have checked quite a few places it should become even more evident when it is discovered.

Let's not forget guys, 3,000,000 TONNES of rice is a pile of stuff none of us has ever seen or comprehended. I managed a company with 10,000 tons of stuff with a similar density . we needed huge warehouses covering hundreds of rai.

Millions of TONNES missing should be easy to find. But so far, nothing like a significant amount missing. In 19,000,000 TONNES 5% loss for mould is nearly 1,000,000 tonnes.

That will be a minimum of natural loss without anyone doing anything wrong at all.

Sorry, but...

fires might have been caused by aluminium phosphate interacting with relative humidity

What is aluminium phosphate doing in a rice warehouse ?

Try to contaminate the rice above 10 ppm ( 10 microgram per kg ) and you can forget your export to the EU

Fumigation. It burns in contact with moisture. It should be impossible to do if you know anything about how to fumigate properly.

The scam is that the goverment said the rice was all good an not missing. They were so arrogant that they would not admit the problems and rectify them. By admitting storage was bad they might had to stop the program and they did not want that. So the blew even more taxpayer money. So they are guilty of gross negligence.

You do understand that not a single soul in the world ever beleived for one second that the rice wouldn't get any worse because it had been stored for a year or two. Every buyer in the world knows that the stuff reduces in quality and some of it will inevitably go mouldy. There was no way on earth to build enough space to be able to manage storing all this stuff and it would have been a crazy expense to do so. Basically, you would need at least 40% vacant space sitting around in order to be able to move the stuff around. All the buildings are full to bursting point.

So, ok, now it is gross negligence, not a scam. A scam would imply they got paid in some way.

Well now, 700 billion Baht went missing, so who didn't get paid?? Scam side-winded, negligence ignored... where exactly did 700 billion Baht go to? Somebody got paid!

It didn't go anywhere. They have 19,000,000 tonnes of rice that they have bought and paid for, processed, stored.

This 19,000,000 makes up god knows how many billions of it, and the rest went to farmers. There is a loss of 700,000,000,000, on paper because the sale price of this 19,000,000 tons is 700bn less than the market value. The farmers have virtually all been paid

Wish I could find the ''bored to death''emoticon

You really think Yingluck went off and collected 700bn from hundreds of rice mills and warehouses?

Cue the Red TV apologists like Mango Bob to explain that it is all a misunderstanding....

I am no supporter of either side. In the big scheme of things the difficulties in Thailand over the years are nothing but a very small footnote in history. What irks me more than anything is newspaper reports such as this (which contain but a fragment of information and no investigation whatsoever) being used to support the argument against the the Yingluck government. It is just troublesome when reports like this are taken to support one side or another. There is absolutely no information in the article on which to base any conclusion. Do the three fires have any relation to the damaged rice? Was the rice in the warehouse at the time of the fires. Did the the person/business responsible for warehousing the rice not fulfill their contract properly. Was there fraud of some kind? Why use such reports from such poor reporting to justify anything? It all raises more questions than it answers and the group of TV posters ready and willing to jump on any report no matter how little information it contains to support their argument (one way or another) is really quite troublesome if one is reaching conclusion from such reporting. There seems to be little depth of thought here on TV at all.

I would suggest that if one wants to read what I consider a fairly balanced article entitled "The Story of Thaksin Shinawatra" (by Richard Lloyd Parry in the London Review of Books 19 Jun 2014) they should do so. I think that the author gives a fairly balanced view of the the goings on in Thailand over the last 8 years. It is short and reasonably concise as to the author's take on things and seems to take shots at everyone. You may or may not agree but it does, in a limited way, address all the players actions. It is no thesis by any means but is interesting reading nonetheless.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n12/richard-lloydparry/the-story-of-thaksin-shinawatra

• Like 2

The scam is that the goverment said the rice was all good an not missing. They were so arrogant that they would not admit the problems and rectify them. By admitting storage was bad they might had to stop the program and they did not want that. So the blew even more taxpayer money. So they are guilty of gross negligence.

You do understand that not a single soul in the world ever beleived for one second that the rice wouldn't get any worse because it had been stored for a year or two. Every buyer in the world knows that the stuff reduces in quality and some of it will inevitably go mouldy. There was no way on earth to build enough space to be able to manage storing all this stuff and it would have been a crazy expense to do so. Basically, you would need at least 40% vacant space sitting around in order to be able to move the stuff around. All the buildings are full to bursting point.

So, ok, now it is gross negligence, not a scam. A scam would imply they got paid in some way.

"So was any of it nicked?" Maybe, maybe not. You correctly stated, rice is expected to deteriorate if stored long enough - so, then why was the rice stored so long? Why was the rice not sold earlier, apart from being the result of gross negligence and stupidity, which in itself should be roundly condemned, and suitable punishment be metered out.

Scams can not be completely ruled out in this instance. Perhaps the stocks were replaced with poor quality/old rice at some time? Perhaps the rice was initially/always inferior? Perhaps the Warehouse was benefiting from storage fees? Hopefully the truth will out.

So, OK. Whilst everyone is running around screaming scam, I am a little lost quite how anyone would profit from a pile of rice going mouldy.

That's OK. Of course letting it go mouldy instead of selling it has to be a scam????????huh?

This is incredibly infuriating. Here are perishable goods - and there are some incompetent people who think it's a good idea to release the rice peu a peu.

Reminds me of some Thai landlords. Their condos have been vacant for years in some cases. But they won't offer incentives or lower the rent.

That rice needs to be SOLD asap!!! Delaying that will only increase the subsequent losses.

• Like 1

"So was any of it nicked?" Maybe, maybe not. You correctly stated, rice is expected to deteriorate if stored long enough - so, then why was the rice stored so long? Why was the rice not sold earlier, apart from being the result of gross negligence and stupidity, which in itself should be roundly condemned, and suitable punishment be metered out.

Scams can not be completely ruled out in this instance. Perhaps the stocks were replaced with poor quality/old rice at some time? Perhaps the rice was initially/always inferior? Perhaps the Warehouse was benefiting from storage fees? Hopefully the truth will out.

Why wasn't it sold earlier?

Because that would have made the paper loss real. The whole point of it was to stockpile it and shorten the supply globally.

None of what you see here today in this report suggests any of it was stolen or anyone got enriched illegally from the process.

Rice was put in a warehouse, the door was closed and it went to crap. Maybe some was stolen, maybe some wasn't, then some people tried to burn it to hide something.

Does it make a big hole in the apparently 3mn tonnes that people believe has been nicked or misaccounted? No.

Does it suggest Yingluck and her head people personally got paid? No.

So. Yes, its a crappy messy warehouse. Get used to it. There are gojng to be many more. I want them to start finding 100s of thousands of tonnes of missing product every day.

This is once again a non story in terms of finding real fraud.

• Like 1

The unraveling of the rice scam continues..... Smart posters on TV knew it was a scam

all along, but it is certainly interesting to get an inside look at it. I also look forward to the

arrests starting as well. The red shirt spin should be interesting as the scope of the scam gets

larger and larger. Perhaps the military planted the rotten rice there ? Also Images like the one

in this story are doing incalculable damage to the reputation of Thai rice on the world

market.

Nice... It's has been a while since I was called smart... I wish my mom can read this post...

Warehouse filled with rotten rice in Nakhon Si Thammarat

The heading in my view should actually read

. ''Last administration filled with rotten ministers, politicians, state officials and police. Some of whom are belived to have ben acting under orders from abroad for personal, business, filial and financial gains.whistling.gif

3 fires.

"However, he ruled out arson saying that the fires might have been caused by aluminium phosphate interacting with relative humidity."

He ruled something out with a supposition of something else.

Pol Lt-Col Pachon Niamrin, deputy superintendent of Kapang police station sounds like a red sympathiser to me.

Yes I agree. There is no likelihood of a fire being cause by aluminium phosphate reacting with relative humidity. If the weevils were alive then it is unlikely that aluminium phosphate was ever used to fumigate the warehouse. You may like this quote from Wiki and maybe never eat rice again.

Pesticide[edit]

AlP is used as a rodenticide, insecticide, and fumigant for stored cereal grains. It is used to kill small verminous mammals such as moles and rodents. The tablets or pellets, known as "wheat pills", typically also contain other chemicals that evolve ammonia which helps to reduce the potential for spontaneous ignition or explosion of the phosphine gas.

AlP is used as both a fumigant and an oral pesticide. As a rodenticide, aluminium phosphide pellets are provided as a mixture with food for consumption by the rodents. The acid in the digestive system of the rodent reacts with the phosphide to generate the toxic phosphine gas. Other pesticides similar to aluminium phosphide are zinc phosphide and calcium phosphide. In this application, aluminium phosphide can be encountered under various brand names, e.g. Celphos, Fumitoxin, Phostoxin, Talunex and Quick Phos. It generates phosphine gas according to the following hydrolysis equation.[6]

2 AlP + 6 H2O → Al2O3∙3 H2O + 2 PH3

It is used as a fumigant when other pesticide applications are impractical and when structures and installations are being treated, such as in ships, aircraft, and grain silos. All of these structures can be effectively sealed or enclosed in a gastight membrane, thereby containing and concentrating the phosphine fumes. Fumigants are also applied directly to rodent burrows.[7]