Asdl Tot

The Dan Sai Kid

I recently signed up for the 256/512 service from TOT. I have had it for a week and I've still to get on-line with it.

The installation of the modem software doesn't complete - about half-way through the process I get an error message telling me the computer is not connected to the internet and that I should check the cables and start again.

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be? TOT tell me that everything is set up (line-wise).

I look forward to ANY suggestions.

Check you're plugged into the correct holes on your ADSL filter (you do have an ADSL filter don't you).

It is vital that ALL phones, fax machines etc have a filter installed, unlug any that don't and try again.

Check the cables by plugging a phone in instead of your ADSL modem.

If you got the modem from TOT persuade them to come round and set it up!

Check you're plugged into the correct holes on your ADSL filter (you do have an ADSL filter don't you).

It is vital that ALL phones, fax machines etc have a filter installed, unlug any that don't and try again.

Or ring 1100

Follow the auto operators directions to get an English speaking tecnician and do the set up process over the phone!

Do you have combined devices like a fax/scanner printer and your phone.

Again follow Crossy's instruction check you have eveything plugged in correctly and you have the right modem.

Can you post how you get on solving this problem and the different steps you take so that if someone else encounters same.

You have helped them save a lot of time and help contribute to another positive outcome on a thread.

I say that because I had a Windows XP problem recently and a member provided correct advice and solved my hassle but I inadvertly forgot to say thank you and yes the advice given worked

Cheers

Good Luck

I haven't put a filter on the phone in the bedroom. I'll get a fliter today and let you know how I get one when I get home form work.

Thanks for your help! The service from TOT is so useless my automatic reaction is to to blame them - gues I was wrong this time!

I haven't put a filter on the phone in the bedroom. I'll get a fliter today and let you know how I get one when I get home form work.

Just unplug the phone and then try.

You can buy the filter later.

OK!

This might help me solve a problem.

My downstairs phone just crackles and yet the one hooked thru the ADSL modem and computer is just fine!

? Does one need one of these filters for the other phone which is using the same line, how much are they and would TukCom in Pattaya have a filter.

What is it and what do you do installation wise.

Maybe I can get both phones to work which are both walk around the house leave the phone in the kitchen, take it outside mobile types

Cheers

Remember the ADSL modem must be situated BEFORE any splitting of the line and line filters should be on each phone node of your not filtering at the modem (pre line split) point.

When the technicians came to do the ADSL install at my house the bastrads just disconnected all 5 nodes of my house telephone system and put one node to the ADSL modem and left the house with no functioning phones.. Er thanks guys !!

Edited by LivinLOS

The best place for the splitter is at the point where your phoneline enters the house.

The connections to a 2nd or 3rd phone should be behind this splitter.

Run a seperate phone cable from the splitter to your adsl box.

The splitter has 3 inputs: line, phone and adsl

This little box contains 2 filters:

-filter between line and phone; filtering out the adsl frequency

-filter between line and adsl; filtering out the phone frequency

If this setup makes the installation impossible, each phone should have it's own filter (line-phone).

Don't blame the TOT technicians. I've seen quite some technical work done by Thai: they just don't understand technology. I tried explaining a technician who was putting up phone lines that the connections needed to be soldered, otherwise the higher frequencies would degrade in time.

They say yes yes and do it like they've always done it - twisting the ends and putting some tape around it.

And.....the Thai technician will never accept that a farang has better technical knowledge - he would loose status!

I have a couple of problems during the installation of TOT ADSL in my home. Not sure if my account will help the original postee.

The instructions in the box were slightly vague but after installing the modem/router using the supplied cd, I still needed to manually configure the router with the guidance of the Eng/Thai booklet and then still needed the assistance of a TOT technician to tell me the guidlines were incorrect and to use a different configuration.

Performance was sporadic so we had a physical visit from TOT, to replace the twisted wires at curbside covered with tape with a connection box and an earth rod (at no extra cost I should add).

Still had problems. Transpired that the existing wires in the house did not connect up correctly with the feed from the curb side connection. Not TOT fault, that was the builders mistake.

Still, all good experience.

As an aside, some time later, when I wanted to knock a whole in the router to stream video, I found that TOT routers do not support such options. More over, TOT technitians didn't understand the concept of portforwarding etc. Ended up purchasing a TP-Link and that was very easy to configure.

As an aside, some time later, when I wanted to knock a whole in the router to stream video, I found that TOT routers do not support such options. More over, TOT technitians didn't understand the concept of portforwarding etc. Ended up purchasing a TP-Link and that was very easy to configure.

The little TOT boxes are just simple adsl routers preconfigured with NAT. Connect 4 pc's and run bittorrent on every computer: it will kill the box, because it just cannot handle the hughe amount of translations.

Consider the box a free gift to get you started on the internet.

If you want to do anything else than webbrowsing, consider buying a better adsl router.....

"Consider the box a free gift to get you started on the internet.

If you want to do anything else than webbrowsing, consider buying a better adsl router....."

Paying 1,900 to TOT for a 4 port router is not free! A free gift is something one is given without exchanging money.....

Sorry if that blows your theory.

Paying 1,900 to TOT for a 4 port router is not free! A free gift is something one is given without exchanging money.....

Sorry if that blows your theory.

Sorry, I thought they were included with the line. I never used one.

/Test edit. (nothing changed in original post.)

Remember the ADSL modem must be situated BEFORE any splitting of the line and line filters should be on each phone node of your not filtering at the modem (pre line split) point.

When the technicians came to do the ADSL install at my house the bastrads just disconnected all 5 nodes of my house telephone system and put one node to the ADSL modem and left the house with no functioning phones.. Er thanks guys !!

As an update to yesterday - I bought a second microfilter after work and tried setting up - same again. We decided to call TOT today and get someone to set it up, but this morning I was looking for where the main box was. I had presumed it was in the living room - it is on the bedroom balcony - I'm going to try tonight to set it up at the main terminal - how can I get internet in my living room though? I don't really want to surf on the balcony!

And I'm still filtering confused.

If I have everything set up correctly upstairs. All systems go!!

What device,how much and where from do I put between the phone line connector into the wall inlet

for the downstairs phone.

Cheers

I can end this story now - I got the morning off of work - my wife called the helpline the helpline and we tried to fix it - no dice. They told us to come down to the office with the computer and they set it up - the helpline hadn't given us all the info. The guy at TOT was very helpful and told me the computer is needing a format to help it run faster :o

But, I gues I can't complain - thanks for all the help!

What device,how much and where from do I put between the phone line connector into the wall inlet

Cheers

Each phone needs an ADSL filter, get from Pantip, Fortune etc. The filter has one input where you plug the phone line, and two outputs, one marked 'phone' (where you plug the phone) the other marked 'modem' (where you plug the modem/router).

Just leave the ADSL one empty if you're only filtering a phone.

Cheers

Each phone needs an ADSL filter, get from Pantip, Fortune etc. The filter has one input where you plug the phone line, and two outputs, one marked 'phone' (where you plug the phone) the other marked 'modem' (where you plug the modem/router).

Just leave the ADSL one empty if you're only filtering a phone.

OK! I'm with you the little small box the lines are in upstairs I need to get another one.

I'm sure Tukcom in Pattaya will have one!

How much is that little filter unit?

Oh! to think I have to move the bloddy wall unit again downstairs to get to the jack!

Mine is called a Glare Global, Global Mesh, DB103

1 inlet marked ADSL & 1 marked Line!

Opposite side has 1 hole for the phone!

Again anyone how much is this little device.

Thanks

Dan Sai Kid how is your progress after a re-format?

Dan Sai Kid how is your progress after a re-format?

I'm leaving doing it til the weekend, I have 5000 songs in i-tunes - so I think I am going to buy some CDs and backup the music - it seems as good a time as any to do it.

When I was in the TOT office the technician was running my computer and his at the same timeand they were running so differently. I have 700 odd ram so it should run quite fast - it's bog slow at the moment.

The broadband connection last night was terrible - I'm hoping that my computer is to blame and not the connection.

Does anyone know if any settings are saved after the format - in the TOT office they adjusted some settings for the modem - will that be saved anywhere?

The TOT office were also very helpful and friendly- no waiting or anything! He also claims I should expect a 400k connection on the 256/512 connection - I won't hold my breath!

I'll keep

MP5 - I assume you are referring to a modem/router installation.

The term 'Filter' can translate into a device called a 'Splitter'.

Typically you need one of these at the wall outlet that you are running adsl from. The splitter has one 'in' socket and two 'out' sockets. Your modem/router connects to the one marked 'modem' and a phone, if you are using one from that same wall outlet, connects to the one marked 'phone'.

The one marked 'line' connects to the wall outlet.

Hope this is clear enough & helps.

(Reply made to page 1....And now I read page 2 of this thread and see you have your answers! doh!)

Edited by Allyt

Mine is called a Glare Global, Global Mesh, DB103

Surely that is a DARE Global?

DARE! Yes!

"I really do need to use my glasses more and I have just spent Thb150 at a some shop in TukCom and can happily report that the little filter I have just connected to the downstairs phone between phone and inlet jack after gently moving the wall unit is fully operational and both phones now function normally.

Thank you I would never have known about the filter on the other phone or future phones had Dan Sai Kid not posted the opening of this thread.

Make it a great weekend and good luck Dan Sai Kid

Cheers"