Lumix G2/3

I'm thinking about getting myself a second hand Lumix - either the G2 or the G3. Anyone ever used one? Anything good or bad to say about them? All opinions appreciated please.

Edited by sustento

I have never used a G2/G3 sustento but at one time my favourite backup camera

was the Lumix/Leica FZ20 and it performed flawlessly when used...I still have it

tucked away for posterity/collection purposes. I know a few photogs who have the

G2/3 & GH4 and they really like their cameras and not a bad word to say about

them either.

It looks like the G3 would be your best choice based on this comparison of G2 vs G3. Of course with the Lumix you have at your disposal a large range of lenses such as Oly and Panasonic plus adapters for others. I had the GH2 and was quite happy with it but upgraded to more current technology.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-G3-vs-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-G2

//edit - moved to the Photography Equipment sub-forum.

It looks like the G3 would be your best choice based on this comparison of G2 vs G3. Of course with the Lumix you have at your disposal a large range of lenses such as Oly and Panasonic plus adapters for others. I had the GH2 and was quite happy with it but upgraded to more current technology.

Thanks for the link. Please don't throw any more models into the ring. My head may explode biggrin.png

I have never used a G2/G3 sustento but at one time my favourite backup camera

was the Lumix/Leica FZ20 and it performed flawlessly when used...I still have it

tucked away for posterity/collection purposes. I know a few photogs who have the

G2/3 & GH4 and they really like their cameras and not a bad word to say about

them either.

I've used to have an FZ38 but since handling DSLRs I can't get along with the motor driven zooming any more. I'd rather have a lens I can control by twisting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still using my G2 and still pleased with it. I have the excellent Olympus 45mm f1.8 for portrait work and the Lumix 20mm f1.7 as a general walk-around lens. Almost never use the kit zoom as the results are not as sharp or as 'interesting' as when I use the primes.

Until the release of the latest G7 and GH2+ bodies the sensors were essentially the same in the G2 to G6 - with improvements being mainly to the processor and features. The main limitation is dynamic range as compared to the latest sensors - highlights can get blown out - so sometimes I need to under expose.

I looked at the GX7 and the Olympus OMD as a possible upgrade - but because I'm still pleased with the results from my G2 I can't justify the expense.

I think you will really like it.

• Like 1

I've been playing with my new G3 (biggrin.png ) for a few days now. One thing that does irritate me is the difference in file saving compared to the Pentax K-r. With the G3 everything gets dumped into the same folder regardless of when it was taken whereas the Pentax creates a separate folder for each day that you use it.

I've been playing with my new G3 (biggrin.png ) for a few days now. One thing that does irritate me is the difference in file saving compared to the Pentax K-r. With the G3 everything gets dumped into the same folder regardless of when it was taken whereas the Pentax creates a separate folder for each day that you use it.

On my G2 if you pop the SD card out and put it back in again it will create a new file for the next shots.

Just don't do this when it's writing or you'll corrupt your files!