Thai authorities rush to improve safety on trains following murder of young girl

webfact

Authorities rush to improve safety on trains following rape and murder of child

BANGKOK, 10 July 2014 (NNT) – Authorities on Wednesday promised improvement to safety measures for train passengers, following public outcry over the rape and murder of a child on a train traveling from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok.

Police General Ek Angsananon, deputy commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, has told the Railway Police Division to immediately implement measures against crime on board trains. He also ordered an investigation into the absence of a Railway Police patrol on the train where the crime took place.

State Railway of Thailand Governor Praphat Chongsa-nguan said the State Railway will take responsibility for what has occurred. He disclosed that a committee has been set up to investigate how the perpetrator of the crime managed to be hired by the State Railway despite his criminal record related to drug abuse.

He promised scrutiny into the history of all temporary employees currently working for the SRT. Mr. Praphat also said closed circuit cameras will be installed on trains and the SRT will request additional policemen to be deployed on trains.

Meanwhile, Soithip Traisut, the permanent secretary to the Ministry of Transport, said she was working to bring into use new ministerial regulations that would ban the sale and consumption of alcohol on trains and at all train and bus stations. The new regulations, once finalized, will be immediately proposed to the National Council for Peace and Order for enforcement.

The Prachuap Khirikhan Provincial Police, which have jurisdiction over the area where the 13-year-old victim's body was found, have promised to quickly prosecute the perpetrator due to the serious nature of the crime.

The perpetrator, an employee of the State Railway of Thailand, confessed on Wednesday to the girl's rape and murder, as well as two prior rapes he committed earlier this year on two State Railway employees who also worked on board trains.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-10 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"The perpetrator, an employee of the State Railway of Thailand, confessed on Wednesday to the girl's rape and murder, as well as two prior rapes he committed earlier this year on two State Railway employees who also worked on board trains."

I don't often say this but castration comes to mind.

Sadly, that does bring back the young girl life.

Rest in peace young lady ... hopefull, happened to you shakes up the rotten Railways.

Security beef-up after rape-murder on train

7-10-2014-11-21-28-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has ordered security beef up on trains, sought to recruit more railway police, banned sales of alcohol on trains and at stations following the rape and murder case of a 13-year-old girl student on a night sleeper train from the South to Bangkok on Sunday.

He also called for stricter screening of SRT applicants, after finding that the suspect for the rape and murder of the 13-year old girl had been charged by the Criminal Court before working for SRT.

The move was part of his effort to bring back confidence among train passengers as soon as possible.

SRT governor Prapat Chongsa-nguan said he was surprised of how the suspect became employed.

He said the murder suspect is an employee of SRT and had been prosecuted by the Criminal Court.

” Because in principle, once you were charged by the Criminal Court, you would no longer be able to apply or become an employee of governmental or state-own offices and enterprises. The question is, how did this person get employed? And so a thorough investigation would have to be carried out to find out how this has happened, ” he said.

Moreover, he said he would ask for more railway policemen to ensure a 24-hour patrol at train stations.

He would also adjust the company’s hiring system, making it stricter, as well as thoroughly check applicants before hiring them.

CCTV system would also be installed in all newly purchased trains to ensure better safety for passengers, he said.

The governor also stood firm that he would not resign from his position, as the public would think he is running away from problems, but would take full responsibility by increasing up security measures in order to bring back passengers’ confidence as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile the news of rape-and-murder on train and its loosened security has scared many teen passengers taking night train back homes on long weekend.

Threes girl students said they were in Bangkok for a training session and would be traveling back home to Surin province on board a free train provided by the SRT. At first they had planned to travel at night, but now they have changed their departure time to later in the morning, in fears of their own safety.

“When I heard that if I travel in the evening or at night, it could be dangerous and unsafe. I decided to change my departure time to around 10.40 am, which is not too early or too late,” one girl student passenger said.

Night sleeper train from Bangkok to the South was all affected.

Normally the sleeper train will see passengers coming earlier to book their seats, but during the past few days, no passengers came like previously, said one attendant of the sleeper train.

(Pic : file photo)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/security-beef-rape-murder-train/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-10

• Like 1

Can put all the safety measures and drinking bans you want in, if someone is f*xt in the head there is not much you can do to safeguard against it.

Of course there is.

For one, you don't employ them and give them the opportunity to take advantage of their position, no matter how small the position. He knew the train inside out! He knew how to take advantage.

Drinking bans is a must in all work environments, as is drug use, and not only in transport sectors. In most Western, if not all working environments, apart from pubs, drinking on the job is an instantaneously sackable offence. Thailand needs to take another look at the West; but then again, the West is not my Uncle! We're fine, aren't we lads. Yeah right! All's fine in the train carriages... CCTV will be implemented, maybe in 2024, when we next place orders for new trains.

Safety measures and drinking bans do go a long way; as does screening and vetting staff properly. Can't say there's not much can be done about it, if the perpretators are not even initially permitted to be on the job, and drunk/drugged up.

Edit: Prevention is better than cure. It just seems that Thailand is always looking retrospectively, and never planning ahead to before the sh!t hits the fan. Thailand does not want to be seen as learning from the West. Yet isn't that exactly what Rama V (King Chulalongkorn) actually did? He went to Germany and the UK, and brought back many ideas he implemented to improve Thailand, with his chief farang advisor in toe.

Edited by UbonRatch
  • Like 2

Can put all the safety measures and drinking bans you want in, if someone is f*xt in the head there is not much you can do to safeguard against it.

Of course there is.

For one, you don't employ them and give them the opportunity to take advantage of their position, no matter how small the position. He knew the train inside out! He knew how to take advantage.

Drinking bans is a must in all work environments, as is drug use, and not only in transport sectors. In most Western, if not all working environments, apart from pubs, drinking on the job is an instantaneously sackable offence. Thailand needs to take another look at the West; but then again, the West is not my Uncle! We're fine, aren't we lads. Yeah right! All's fine in the train carriages... CCTV will be implemented, maybe in 2024, when we next place orders for new trains.

Safety measures and drinking bans do go a long way; as does screening and vetting staff properly. Can't say there's not much can be done about it, if the perpretators are not even initially permitted to be on the job, and drunk/drugged up.

Edit: Prevention is better than cure. It just seems that Thailand is always looking retrospectively, and never planning ahead to before the sh!t hits the fan. Thailand does not want to be seen as learning from the West. Yet isn't that exactly what Rama V (King Chulalongkorn) actually did? He went to Germany and the UK, and brought back many ideas he implemented to improve Thailand, with his chief farang advisor in toe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but drinking and drug bans already exist for staff on trains. Would you expect some kind of mental assessment for all employees? I have never seen or heard of that in the west either.

BTW how did the wonderful west (UK) do with stopping Harold Shipman from bumping off anyone he felt like?

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Selling beer to passengers has always been one of the main sidelines of the railway employees on those overnight trains. In fact, if you don't buy a beer from them, you can forget about getting any other service out of them. They have refused to set up the dining table at my seat when I declined their offer to buy a beer. I'm sure beer sales make up a large part of their income so they won't be happy about not being able to continue this practice. I wonder what will win out in the end: passenger safety - or railway employee income?

Tons of Police and Security Guards down at Hua Lam Phong station at the moment. Causing more serious delays than usual to train departure times.

While I appreciate what they are trying to do, these knee jerk reactions are likely to do more harm than good.

• Like 1

BangkokHank......They make a large profit on the drinks. Have you ever noticed that they don't and won't show you the beverages menu? A Chang is 120 baht (quite expensive), but they demand 140 b. I refuse, and as I know most of the teams they let me get away with it. But not for others.

Most of the train personnel drink, any category.

Edited by Gillyflower

BangkokHank......They make a large profit on the drinks. Have you ever noticed that they don't and won't show you the beverages menu? A Chang is 120 baht (quite expensive), but they demand 140 b. I refuse, and as I know most of the teams they let me get away with it. But not for others.

Most of the train personnel drink, any category.

"A Chang is 120 baht (quite expensive), ...."

I assume that B120 is for the large bottle of Chang? If so just over 100% markup.

However that is what one will pay for a small bottle of beer in the naughty entertainment areas of Bangkok such as Nana and Cowboy..

Some on TVF would argue that Chang is not actually beer. In fact some go as far as saying that it tastes as if it has been filtered through the human body before bottling.wink.png

• Like 1

More effective, and which can be implemented immediately, is to have 2 train inspectors walk the whole length of the trains all night long, one pass every 10 minutes.

And initiate a "whistle-blower" scheme where passengers will be awarded 1,000 Baht every time they snap and send photos of an employee contravening regulations - whether it be drinking, sleeping on duty, dealing in drugs.

Plus, transfer the top guy - not directly his fault, but a message must be sent.

Nothing is going to change because the people working there aren't going to change,

The trains will always derail.

The trains will never be on time.

The trains will always be filthy and stink.

The food on the trains will always suck and give you food poisoning.

Oh yes... I almost forgot to mention the trains will always be filthy because the people who are paid to clean them spend their time drinking, drugging, raping and murdering while on their on the clock.

Can the people that hire them to run the trains be any better?

Edited by CharlieH

Nothing is going to change because the people working there aren't going to change,

The trains will always derail.

The trains will never be on time.

The trains will always be filthy and stink.

The food on the trains will always suck and give you food poisoning.

Oh yes... I almost forgot to mention the trains will always be filthy because the people who are paid to clean them spend their time drinking, drugging, raping and murdering while on their on the clock, then they throw their trash out the windows.

Can the people that hire them to run the trains be any better?

You have never been on a Thai train have you, very obvious by your post.

2nd class overnight sleeper is my preference for long distance if possible and never had a problem..

And to refer to the unfortunate young lady who was raped and murdered as trash shows what a sick individual you are.

Ratcatcher.....

You are not suggesting that to travel by train is the equivalent to being in a "naughty entertainment area of Bangkok" are you?!!!!! Shocking!!!!! I have obviously missed something all these years. And yes, Chang is a bit like that. Had a bit of a laugh over your post.

Talking about the restaurant car teams. They work long hours. My last trip to Penang in January. My train from CM got to Bkok about 7 - the train to P. went in the afternoon, practically the same team was aboard. When I came back 2 days later. Another team to Bkok, who were then on the 5pm to CM the next day. We arrived in the AM and they were back to B'kok on the 5pm the same day. They hardly have 5-6 hours between shifts. I don't know about the other categories on the train, but I am willing to bet that it is the same. I have often had the same cabin attendant from one train to another.

• Like 2

Knee Jerk Reaction, I see no problem with passengers drinking in moderation as long as the are not a nuisance to other passengers, if the do get out of hand then put them off at the next station.

Did not know Thailand had railway police, maybe tomorrow onwards we will see the army shadowing them...

Knee Jerk Reaction, I see no problem with passengers drinking in moderation as long as the are not a nuisance to other passengers, if the do get out of hand then put them off at the next station.

Did not know Thailand had railway police, maybe tomorrow onwards we will see the army shadowing them...

I thought it was the railway police who checked all the passenger tickets before leaving the station?

And I think they are also the uniformed personnel visible at all station platforms.

As for putting anyone off at the next station--much easier said than done. Particularly when the drunkards might be railway personnel.

Banning alcohol is the only viable solution given the limitations inherent in the system--not enough police, not enough enforcement, selective enforcement where it does it exist, not enough funding, etc..

Cheers

I thought it was the railway police who checked all the passenger tickets before leaving the station?

And I think they are also the uniformed personnel visible at all station platforms.

As for putting anyone off at the next station--much easier said than done. Particularly when the drunkards might be railway personnel.

Banning alcohol is the only viable solution given the limitations inherent in the system--not enough police, not enough enforcement, selective enforcement where it does it exist, not enough funding, etc..

Cheers

Well if it an employee they should be arrested, (it should be against the law for employees to turn up for work under the influence or drink while on duty).

As for disorderly passengers they should be put off the train or locked up in the guards van (if they have or they should build holding cells on trains).

By the way I do not drink a lot and would have no problem travelling days without alcohol but I do know some TV members will.

Edited by Basil B

They are railway police, or that is what I have always been told. The whole thing is that the personnel disappear after a certain time. I often return to my carriage about 11 or 12 pm and I never see anybody. Sometimes if I go to the loo in the night I MAY see the attendant asleep in the little alcove near the toilet. But not always. I don't know where they go or what they do, BUT they are not evident. I can quite conceive that this poor little girl had what happened, without anyone being the wiser. Everyone is in their own bunk and it seems to me to be asleep. I have never thought of murder, but I do think of robbery. I always make sure that my handbag with papers/money is quite close to my head.

They are railway police, or that is what I have always been told. The whole thing is that the personnel disappear after a certain time. I often return to my carriage about 11 or 12 pm and I never see anybody. Sometimes if I go to the loo in the night I MAY see the attendant asleep in the little alcove near the toilet. But not always. I don't know where they go or what they do, BUT they are not evident. I can quite conceive that this poor little girl had what happened, without anyone being the wiser. Everyone is in their own bunk and it seems to me to be asleep. I have never thought of murder, but I do think of robbery. I always make sure that my handbag with papers/money is quite close to my head.

My experience as well until a station stop.

I have heard various reports on the job description of the assailant. I have heard he was assigned the next car down from the assault and I have heard he was assigned the car of the assault.

I have heard he was a laundry attendant for bedding and then I have heard he was actually the purser for the car of the assault.

I have heard his shift was over and other reports state he was on duty.

As you stated, this tragedy was not part of "our" collective realm of scenarios to be alert for until now.

Even his two previous rapes, had I walked by two employees having sex in a compartment, I would not have imagined it was anything but consensual. Ofcourse, that has changed for all of us now.

<snip>

had I walked by two employees having sex in a compartment, I would not have imagined it was anything but consensual. Ofcourse, that has changed for all of us now.

The Thai for 'help' is ช่วย ... sounds like 'chooway'

Hope that, excuse me, helps.