Shocked by German win, Thai gambler commits suicide

webfact

Shocked by German win, gambler commits suicide
By Coconuts Bangkok

2401958_full-lnd.jpg?itok=tYqwBJeQ

Bangkok: -- A Suphan Buri man committed suicide after Germany shockingly romped over his favorite team Brazil 7-1.

Yesterday morning, a 26-year-old man was found dead in his bed the mattress. A bottle of pesticide was beside his body. There was no sign of struggle or injury.

The suicide was reported by his mother, who said her son had been very enthusiastic for the World Cup matches. The night before his death, he tried to borrow 100.000 THB [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/07/10/shocked-german-win-gambler-commits-suicide

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-07-10

• Like 1

No one of normal inelegance would borrow money to gamble with as it says all the time now on the UK TV after a lottery advert or bookmaker advert [ gamble responsibly ] everyone enjoys an occasional little flutter on the lottery or a small bet on the football horses etc. but I suppose there are people who are genuinely sick and it becomes an addiction same as Drink Responsibly.

No one of normal inelegance would borrow money to gamble with as it says all the time now on the UK TV after a lottery advert or bookmaker advert [ gamble responsibly ] everyone enjoys an occasional little flutter on the lottery or a small bet on the football horses etc. but I suppose there are people who are genuinely sick and it becomes an addiction same as Drink Responsibly.

Playing the stock market is no different from betting on the horses, football or anything else and some people kill themselves when they loose their shirts, and some borrow money

If gambling is truely an addiction, then one must include playing the markets ?

• Like 1

I do think gambling being illegal in Thailand makes it far more attractive, like the forbidden fruit, and given that the only place you can realistically bet is with criminals, it can't often end well.

Perhaps government-sponsored legalising gambling would enable people to express their urges in a more realistic and harmless manner.

This item is not about football. This wretched man has died because he lost his money (gambled) on a bet. If it wasn't a football bet it would have been something else!

It's no good calling him an idiot now - have some sympathy for his family and friends.

• Like 1

It would have been his loss he was shocked by not Brazil's.

His mother can expect a visit from the bookie soon, she could lose everything through his stupidity.

I agree. One would have to be a little unstable to kill yourself over such a matter. 100,000 (or whatever) owed to the wrong people, with no hope of repayment - that sounds a bit more plausible.

Obviously I don't know, but logically speaking .....

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

Bill Shankley

Im sure the suicide had nothing to do with football and everything to do with borrowing money from the wrong people.

someone won a bundle on taking a risk on germany winning by 7 goals

They didn't...

I was reading that 100's of thousand was won by punters who backed them on the exchanges at 10/1 to win 7-0 when they were 5 up at half time.

The odds of them doing that dropped like a stone when they scored their 7th goal and as the minutes ticked away. they probably went as low as 1.02 (1/50)

That allowed the punters to get out with huge profits prior to Brazil scoring in the last minute.

Some didn't but apparently many did.