Electricity leakage kills Thai schoolboy beneath sports bleacher

webfact

Wait, the temple was stealing electricity? Only in Thailand...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Do temples need to steal electricity now? Apparently they do...sad but true!

RIP to the young man

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The earth system (3 wires) is a stupid invention indeed not needed. I'm elec engineer....underground cables and a controlling department will prevent such accidents.

Hmmm, maybe you should read this :

http://amasci.com/amateur/whygnd.html

Written by an electrical engineer, I would be interested in where you got your qualifications and what you think we should have in place instead.

Yes there are other methods of creating a safe electrical environment but most need newer technologies and are not more cost effective. Most (if not all) of the world uses a ground system as does the power distribution system in Thailand. Despite what most people think it is actually very good. But they do have a ground system and therein lies the problem. There is simply inadequate training (if any) and once again little or no regulation or regulation enforcement at the consumer end.

An earth system is safe AS LONG AS IT IS DONE PROPERLY. Some 80% of deaths by electrocution happen through the earth (as did this), so why do we have one (read the article).

A simple question to all those people out there who are sure their installations are safe and have earth wires...

Are all of the plugs on your appliances connecting the earth pin to the socket where it is necessary? Did you change the ¨Schuko"plug it came with or do you just plug it in and use it? I don´t need the answer, you do.

• Like 1

One more thing for the good General to add to his task list marked URGENT.

The "good general" is working diligently on how to get rid of all the crazy farangs throwing there money in to Thailand's economy/hopper. No time for trivial things like health and safety. Crazy farangs must have done it!!!

Sorry but a picture's worth a thousand words. But here's 5. "Why am I not surprised?"

attachicon.gifwire1.jpgattachicon.gifwire2.jpgattachicon.gifwire3.jpgattachicon.gifwire4.jpgattachicon.gifwire5.jpg

Every single one of these photos is of comms space cabling only. Nothing to do with electrical transmission.

Nice try though but I see what you did there.

Interesting and good information for me, my main intent was to show the degree of orderliness to the wiring and bundling etc with cable ties or whatever. But you got my point. Thanks.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What the hell is a bleacher ?

What do you all these in nz, Robby

Google "bleachers":

attachicon.gifbleacher.JPG

In American English, bleachers or stands

Ahh American English, not "Real" English, probably why I didn't have a clue either being a Brit.

Many of you don't have a clue. coffee1.gif

It's not surprising many don't have a clue.

Here's why.

post-9891-0-25395000-1405052205_thumb.jppost-9891-0-90158300-1405052207_thumb.jppost-9891-0-11744100-1405052210_thumb.jp

In English these are called STANDS because this is where people SIT. English, a totally logical language.

• Like 2

What the hell is a bleacher ?

In English these are called STANDS because this is where people SIT. English, a totally logical language.

Anyone who spent their entire childhood without ever being a Bleacher Bum, was a deprived child.

Edited by impulse

Here are few photos taken on Pattaya coastal footpath in 2011. The cables protruding from the ground (which had powered the lights, which had corroded and been removed) were presumably live, as power was being tapped by the beach vendors, as shown in one of the photos.

After receiving a shock from an electric shower, I now always carry a neon screwdriver in my luggage, and check all hotel room electrical appliances.

post-123383-0-59995500-1405054340_thumb.

post-123383-0-71939200-1405054358_thumb.

post-123383-0-95645300-1405054374_thumb.

post-123383-0-13571100-1405054428_thumb.

post-123383-0-13282200-1405054469_thumb.

post-123383-0-38082500-1405054485_thumb.

post-123383-0-70393200-1405054505_thumb.

post-123383-0-18251600-1405054537_thumb.

• Like 2

When I see and read of these sad but avoidable incidents, I can't help but think the UK health and safety guys could have a very high rate of employment in LOS. The whole Thai attitude is one of, "We've always done it this way, why should we change"! Education, Education, Education. Until the system is change, these kind of incidents will continue. Unfortunately it will most probably not be in my lifetime.

It is bleachers fault. They should have known temple would tap power and use bleacher instead of cable to save money. And need to enforce code specifying that "all stolen electricity circuits must have ground fault interrupter breakers". Thais don't need to earth their electricity because they are not grounded in reality.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The earth system (3 wires) is a stupid invention indeed not needed. I'm elec engineer....underground cables and a controlling department will prevent such accidents.

Hmmm, maybe you should read this :

http://amasci.com/amateur/whygnd.html

Written by an electrical engineer, I would be interested in where you got your qualifications and what you think we should have in place instead.

Yes there are other methods of creating a safe electrical environment but most need newer technologies and are not more cost effective. Most (if not all) of the world uses a ground system as does the power distribution system in Thailand. Despite what most people think it is actually very good. But they do have a ground system and therein lies the problem. There is simply inadequate training (if any) and once again little or no regulation or regulation enforcement at the consumer end.

An earth system is safe AS LONG AS IT IS DONE PROPERLY. Some 80% of deaths by electrocution happen through the earth (as did this), so why do we have one (read the article).

A simple question to all those people out there who are sure their installations are safe and have earth wires...

Are all of the plugs on your appliances connecting the earth pin to the socket where it is necessary? Did you change the ¨Schuko"plug it came with or do you just plug it in and use it? I don´t need the answer, you do.It

It is important to earth. If you've lived here for any period of time, you've surely experienced mild shocks from touching the metal part of a dvd player or home appliance and getting a shock. That's a danger and grounding is necessary as most of your colleague electricians will tell you.

When I see and read of these sad but avoidable incidents, I can't help but think the UK health and safety guys could have a very high rate of employment in LOS. The whole Thai attitude is one of, "We've always done it this way, why should we change"! Education, Education, Education. Until the system is change, these kind of incidents will continue. Unfortunately it will most probably not be in my lifetime.

The Thais are perfectly capable of building extremely safe systems. But just like in the UK and US, there are lots of unqualified people that haven't a clue. The difference is that the unqualified are barred by several levels of law and liability from participating in the work back in our "nanny states".

Why bother to get educated if I can pay someone a few baht, hang a shingle and start making money without ever spending a day in training- which is widely available?

Education isn't the main issue, it's economics and enforcement- to limit the work that risks our safety to qualified tradesmen. (not to mention traceability so we'd know who did this particular wiring that resulted in someone's death) But that brings Thailand closer to the dreaded nanny state so many seem to flock here to avoid- and would inevitably drive up costs by a few baht.

Tragedies like this make the nanny states look a little more appealing, especially considering any one of us or our loved ones could be the next one electrocuted.

• Like 2

Thai's use a different type of electricity to the rest of the world, it doesn't need to be earthed.

This was actually said by a Thai contractor as the condo building was going up.

Well it can be argued the Thais aren't really earthed themselves, either.

• Like 1

We do a village party every year. Wish I had the pic I took. Safety pins stuck into the electrical cable to power light bulbs put into the trees. A disaster waiting to happen.

It's the Isaan Standard Electrical Guidelines installation:

post-55939-0-51078900-1401444548.jpg

• Like 1

The head monk and party's involved should be prosecuted for manslaughter and theft of utilities.

I think it is fair to say, that in Thailand in the grounds of the Temples there are many vendors and other activities so the Temple may not be responsible other than they do have a duty of care and a responsibility to discourage vendors from steel electricity.

May be the junta should put in a change of management at EGAT with instruction to seek out unlawful taps, not only disconnecting but prosecuting and confiscating any devices connected.

just think of all those neons and sign boxes disappearing over night.

Edited by Basil B

Thai's use a different type of electricity to the rest of the world, it doesn't need to be earthed.

This was actually said by a Thai contractor as the condo building was going up.

Its true, didn't you know that. All electricity is generated by harboring the "power of Thainess"

We do a village party every year. Wish I had the pic I took. Safety pins stuck into the electrical cable to power light bulbs put into the trees. A disaster waiting to happen.

Great picture, they probably think they are being clever and resourceful. i hope they followed the correct Thai safety guidelines during installation,, standing in a bucket of water with the safety pin engineer standing on your shoulders.

like the fuses tongue.png

No the bleacher wasn't earthed, why would it be? The power cable wasn't earthed because then current would just flow to earth and it would be useless. Should really know what earthing is before assuming it's a fix for all possible electrical dangers.

The neutral wire is earthed at multiple point, well at least it should be, or it wouldn't be neutral.

Electricity is neither a liquid or gas so it does not leak. My guess is the Electrical Cable had a bad spot in the insulation and was covered or at least partially covered by water. The article then goes on to say the teacher saw their hands on the post of the stand. So, if they were standing in the puddle and touched the steel post of the stand they provided a ground for the electricity to flow.

Chances are the lad that did not die was shocked while trying to rescue his mate. Never touch a person that is being electricued with you hand use a piece of wood or something that is an insulator. If nothing else take a run at them so your inertia will break them away as a ground.

Then, according to you, there is no such thing as an "Earth Leakage" circuit breaker or "leaky" coaxial cable, used in buildings to allow mobile phone to pick up a stronger signal. Go check this definition http://dictionary.infoplease.com/leak.

Sad news.

Can someone makes sense of this article what actually happened? Wouldn't the stand be earthed?

They do not earth many things here. I bought a place in Pattaya few years back with 9 rooms for rental the first thing I do was get an electrical to earth all the showers.

When building my .....i told the elec. contractor to use a 3-wire system as in the western world. He smiled at me.... no. No.

They will not listen because they know better.

Taking a shower in a new room, touching the fawcett i was electrocuted.

Mai pen rai !! My fists are itching when i see the guy. I am supposed to keep my mouth shut. Yes 4 years of nightmares.

They won't listen !!!!!

Put a Saf-T-Cut on the two incoming wires. AFAIK, as good protection as an earth.

When building my .....i told the elec. contractor to use a 3-wire system as in the western world. He smiled at me.... no. No.

They will not listen because they know better.

Taking a shower in a new room, touching the fawcett i was electrocuted.

Mai pen rai !! My fists are itching when i see the guy. I am supposed to keep my mouth shut. Yes 4 years of nightmares.

They won't listen !!!!!

Put a Saf-T-Cut on the two incoming wires. AFAIK, as good protection as an earth.

Of course, it will be tripping out often till you debug the leaks -

Edited by DekDaeng

The thief who initially set up and the live connection to the main line should be traced and prosecuted for causing the death of the child scandalous what people will steal in Thailand even electricity.

• Like 2