Impressed by Chiang Mai

jongunnar

Johns

Don't I get credit for their beggars with my "feed the homeless" comment? Thailand does a great job with keeping beggars to a minimum by institutionalizing or kept locked up in remote family villages out of the public eye...image is everything in Thailand...

My sarcastic post was towards a one-track mind poster who was ragging on Portland because it doesn't have beautiful people like Newport Beach or Santa Barbara...

I chose Portland as an alternative to CM b\c of comparable size geography subcultures and value...

CB

yeh but in reality we are all here for the weather

so why not pick somewhere with similar weather

portland is naff by any criteria you want to use

I often wondered why you were here now I know. Speak for your self I am here because I do not like living in a nanny country and the different culture never ceases to amaze me. That along with the negativity from some of the farongs towards it. Amazing Thailand.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johns

Don't I get credit for their beggars with my "feed the homeless" comment? Thailand does a great job with keeping beggars to a minimum by institutionalizing or kept locked up in remote family villages out of the public eye...image is everything in Thailand...

My sarcastic post was towards a one-track mind poster who was ragging on Portland because it doesn't have beautiful people like Newport Beach or Santa Barbara...

I chose Portland as an alternative to CM b\c of comparable size geography subcultures and value...

CB

yeh but in reality we are all here for the weather

so why not pick somewhere with similar weather

portland is naff by any criteria you want to use

You might wish to edit your last sentence so it makes sense.

I guess you are joking b/c I don't know one American who is in CM for the weather. Weather is a secondary factor when selecting an international location unless it has 75 degrees, low humidity, sunny days through-out the year. Hawaii, Carmel Valley, South of France, parts of Mexico/some central American cities and San Diego come to mind. Weather is only a deciding factor when the person has already chosen Thailand or a SE Asia destination to live. Then people choose weather-wise CM over say Bkk but one also has the beach crowd so equal if not more #s select the beach climate of Hua Hin, Pattaya or Phuket (much hotter and wetter)over CM.

People choose CM/other Thai tourist areas to live b/c of

1.cost of living

2.accessibility/availability of a partner or cheap sex

3.convenience/accessibility of continuing to live a western lifestyle on the cheap

4.living in an ineffective and inefficient nanny state as Northern John (non-citizen)points out where many Thai rules don't apply.

5. Maybe weather but I would put food, golf, other recreational activities, nightlife before weather (Thailand regarded as one of the hottest countries in the world to reside)

The recent trend is many ex-pats bail from CM come Feb/March for weeks to months due to hot weather combined with increasingly poor air quality ranging from one to four months. People like to say only one bad air quality month (March)but that is no longer true. The last two years bad air quality started in late Dec and the length of it is determined when the first rains come and how often/much...

CB

Dear CB,

Are you claiming Portland isn't naff by any criteria you wish to choose.

(Please note, I can now use punctuation in my posts, after replacing my old damaged keyboard with one from Banana IT. 20% off sale until the end of the month, which makes for a sizeable saving, they were already cheaper than IT City and InvadeIT.)

Since you are letting me choose own criteria, lets go with these ten and a "nannyless" one:

Dog parks

Micro breweries

Public transportation

Green space

Wineries

Recycling

Independent movie theaters

Natural beauty locations

Interactive children activities

Road and mountain biking routes

Income tax and sales tax

CB

CB, I heard they cut trash pick-up to once every two weeks in PDX. That's gotta be nasty. Something tells me trash pick-up fees weren't cut in half, or even lowered by one penny. How long is the wait for public housing now? Down to five years, or still seven? What a wonderful concept.

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/20/when-you-cut-trash-collection-to-every-two-weeks-parents-will-still-find-a-way-to-get-rid-of-dirty-diapers/

http://www.homeforward.org/find-a-home/get-an-apartment/wait-times

Edited by Thighlander

Since you are letting me choose own criteria, lets go with these ten and a "nannyless" one:

Dog parks

Micro breweries

Public transportation

Green space

Wineries

Recycling

Natural beauty locations

Income tax and sales tax

CB

I dispute your 10 criteria

Dog parks - trivial, and I hate dogs.

Micro Breweries - OK, I'll give you that one.

Green Space - CM is surrounded by jungle, lakes, forest and mountains.

Wineries - do we have an alcohol problem?

Recycling - extensive in CM, rubbish is picked over by people who actually make money from it.

Movie Theatres - loads in CM, I went to Maya last week, a quality cinema, and only $15.

Natural beauty - plenty of slim and sexy girls in CM, how many girls in short skirts do you see side saddle in Portland? And the mountains, jungle, rivers, etc. which you can use all year round.

Children activities - you aren't really looking now, plenty of stuff for Thai children.

Mountain biking - huge in CM, tracks all over the mountains. Roads much safer than the USA.

Income tax - mine is ZERO in CM.

So what did that leave you, dog parks and a drinking problem!

I guess the booze gives you something to do when it's too wet or cold for you to take the dog out.

• Like 2

and you can bet your ass, if you had an open container in a dog park in PDX, you would get written up quicker than you can say "look out for dirty needles."

Some of the other highlights of the recycling program are the government spending 350 usd to pick up a ton of newspaper worth about 12 bucks...

• Like 2

Dog parks

Micro breweries

Public transportation

Green space

Wineries

Recycling

Natural beauty locations

Income tax and sales tax

CB

I dispute your 10 criteria

Dog parks - trivial, and I hate dogs.

Micro Breweries - OK, I'll give you that one.

Green Space - CM is surrounded by jungle, lakes, forest and mountains.

Wineries - do we have an alcohol problem?

Recycling - extensive in CM, rubbish is picked over by people who actually make money from it.

Movie Theatres - loads in CM, I went to Maya last week, a quality cinema, and only $15.

Natural beauty - plenty of slim and sexy girls in CM, how many girls in short skirts do you see side saddle in Portland? And the mountains, jungle, rivers, etc. which you can use all year round.

Children activities - you aren't really looking now, plenty of stuff for Thai children.

Mountain biking - huge in CM, tracks all over the mountains. Roads much safer than the USA.

Income tax - mine is ZERO in CM.

So what did that leave you, dog parks and a drinking problem!

I guess the booze gives you something to do when it's too wet or cold for you to take the dog out.

Haven't been to Maya theater yet but $15 for a seat. Did they let you take it home. For $10 to $12 you can get a lazy boy type recliner at the Airport theater 7.

All the other tickets are from 110 baht to 180 baht I get a discount for being old and I also can buy a card for a certain amount of money. I usu8aly do 2,000 baht and save another 10%.

I have been to the best seats in the house at the central festival and Promenada. I will still take the ones at the airport. Mind you if you get the regular seats at the Central Festival there is more room for people coming and going in the back rows. I go to a lot of movies and will try the Maya out but not at that price.

Hubby and I want to Maya Saturday. Hubby bought the tickets (and his memory isn't totally reliable) but he says he spent 300 baht total for the tickets. No popcorn or other treats. If someone spent $15, either they were taking the either family, went to the 3D theater or maybe into that fancy VIP theater with the seats that are more comfy than the ones in our living room. Never been there -- just looked at the seats in their display in the lobby.

Oh heads, up. Ate at Aji, the restaurant in the Rim Ping supermarket afterwards. They've totally changed their menu and our favorite items are gone, gone, gone! It's more Japanese now and less fusion. They've raised prices slightly. That was to be expected. 60 baht glasses of wine can't last forever. Even now 80 baht is still a good buy. But my wasabi pasta and Hubby's teriaki burger are gone! Spoke to the restaurant manager about it. She acted like we weren't the first to complain. Something about the owner thought the old menu was "too complicated" for lunch business. Huh -- it took them 30 minutes to prepare and serve the three food items we ordered.

Dave -- we need a Duke's in Maya now more than ever. We love going to movies at Maya but the restaurant scene there just got even worse.

Hubby and I want to Maya Saturday. Hubby bought the tickets (and his memory isn't totally reliable) but he says he spent 300 baht total for the tickets. No popcorn or other treats. If someone spent $15, either they were taking the either family, went to the 3D theater or maybe into that fancy VIP theater with the seats that are more comfy than the ones in our living room. Never been there -- just looked at the seats in their display in the lobby.

Oh heads, up. Ate at Aji, the restaurant in the Rim Ping supermarket afterwards. They've totally changed their menu and our favorite items are gone, gone, gone! It's more Japanese now and less fusion. They've raised prices slightly. That was to be expected. 60 baht glasses of wine can't last forever. Even now 80 baht is still a good buy. But my wasabi pasta and Hubby's teriaki burger are gone! Spoke to the restaurant manager about it. She acted like we weren't the first to complain. Something about the owner thought the old menu was "too complicated" for lunch business. Huh -- it took them 30 minutes to prepare and serve the three food items we ordered.

Dave -- we need a Duke's in Maya now more than ever. We love going to movies at Maya but the restaurant scene there just got even worse.

3D = 180bht f/s/s

normal = 150bht f/s/s

Cheaper weekdays, even cheaper Wednesday.

Sorry if I confused everyone by equating 180bht to $15, should have used a calculator and stated $11.

How much is the cinema ticket in Portland?

Just googled, and the Regal is $9 Standard, so about the same prices.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

180bht = 5.59 USD according to google just now

Movies here are a Bargain

And much better standard than most the worn out aging smelly British theatres.

Another good point for CM/ Thai is- The people don't act the fool chucking pop corn about and making noises.

• Like 1

Sounds like the wheels are falling off the wagon at Maya.

Heard the roof has a 24 hour coffee shop defiantly got to try that.

Isn't 150bht more like 5 USD?

At this morning's quote, the conversion of 150 baht is $4.6690

That is with out the 3% service charge.

For every day shopping and movies I just ball park $1 = 30 baht.

Edited by northernjohn

Most impressive thing about CM for me has to be Khao Soi. Easily my all time favorite Thai food. Usually get it on the ring road near the river. Sorry but no idea on the name of the place

I always miss the chiang Mai local food when I travel south. Sticky rice, sai oowa , Kow sai etc. really sets chiang Mai apart from the beaches.

• Like 1

Most impressive thing about CM for me has to be Khao Soi. Easily my all time favorite Thai food. Usually get it on the ring road near the river. Sorry but no idea on the name of the place

I always miss the chiang Mai local food when I travel south. Sticky rice, sai oowa , Kow sai etc. really sets chiang Mai apart from the beaches.

I share your pain. Currently back in Aust and the only Thai food is westernised with no Northern style. Tried to make it but no luck with the flavour balance. I must learn to cook it when I return

Next time you're in Chiang Mai try the Khao Soi at the little Thai place opposite the iron bridge between Rim Ping and Dukes.

• Like 1

In UK they are double or triple that btw

And the difference in wages is............. ?

Who cares?

Personally I would take a job working in Thai cinema over a UK one any day- the cost of living in Thailand compared to the UK on the wages paid would give a better life for the Thai taking everything in to account.

Like Portland, it appears that overall the expat population in CNX does have Leftist leanings. Is CNX a Leftist city, like PDX? No way, Jose! Are you kidding me?

A place, where until recently, that would ticket people for no shirt, and would be perfectly happy bringing back that policy. A city where two college girls with a bottle of booze and a shot glass can open a roadside bar...no problem. A place where money can buy you ANYTHING? So why does CNX seem to be a magnet for "activists," "lesbians," "Marxists." and a variety of other social malcontents? Because CNX was their first taste of true capitalism, and they loved it; they had never seen it in Western Europe, or PDX, SFO, etc..1) Street Food....to them it's the greatest thing on earth; mom and pop, setting up shop, all cash, scamming on taxes, selling beer without a license, no handicap access, and you piss in the alley.....all very pure capitalism that they had never seen. Then we have the Night Bazaar and Walking Street; two more circus pants favorites...heck there are even capitalist selling circus pants! And everything about the street food applies to these markets. Bargaining? never seen that in PDX, but they will all negotiate a deal. It saves them money.....what an interesting concept.

Beer sales after hours? Yep, and the more rules the government throws at the people of CNX; the more willing they are to defy them. Throw in some Beer promotions and half price cigarettes and you've got some very happy granola girls....But the clincher of all is, in case you didn't notice: the local government employees are sporting military uniforms and M-16s....I wonder if it's because of WMD, LOL. If CNX gets any more "Liberal" I'm going to have to get my haircut like Kim Jung II.

PDX, CNX? Apples and Oranges or perhaps Craft Beer and Som Tam.

First post of yours I can completely agree with.

Isn't 150bht more like 5 USD?

At this morning's quote, the conversion of 150 baht is $4.6690

I know, I know ......... DOH!

(I had inadvertently entered a time warp, to next year, when the exchange rate will be 10bht = $1)

But on the positive side, I can now go to the cinema 2 more times and still be happy with the price.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1