Street vendors at Bangkok's Chatuchak and Ratchadamnoen areas to be moved out

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The street vendors are something that many tourists seem to love. On one hand the nation is pleading, rather unsuccessfully to date, with tourists to come back, and on the other they're removing the sorts of things that make Bangkok so attractive to a large percentage of those that do come here.

I agree...street vendors are a part of the culture and a definite attraction here..not just in tourist areas, but everywhere in Thailand and provide a huge number of people with a way to make a living.

Chinatown has been a maze of crowded sidewalks since long before Bangkok became a tourist destination.

It would not be a bad thing to enforce existing laws regarding placement and encroachment on sidewalks. Between their tables, stools and storage boxes, there is often less than a single lane for pedestrians to pass.

About 6 or 7 years ago,an attempt was made to delineate table areas along lower Sukhumvit; lines were drawn and spaces allocated. Unfortunately, enforcement was non-existent and it soon returned to the chaos it is today.

The problem of course is that the law enforcers are part of the problem: some added discipline in the police ranks has to be part of the solution.

Do you really want Bangkok to be like Singapore? Yes; clean and easy to navigate sidewalks but also sterile and boring. I hope a happy medium can be found.

Balance will be hard to achieve and even harder to maintain but I hope an effort is made to preserve what make Bangkok such a unique and interesting city.

thumbsup.gif agree, the first I loved in Bangkok is the "mess" which is not as bad as it sounds. besides, if you compare it to Manila, Bangkok is a lot better organized. I do not want Bangkok to become Singapore...cities like that are "industrialized" but boring for the money the average person earns.

• Like 2

Hopefully, they'll start clearing out all the vendors on lower Suk. What a mess...

+1 On Lower Sukumvit I usually walked on the street to avoid the single file side walk "gauntlet."

During the day the vendors sell tacky trinkets, ED drugs. mace and brass knuckles. At night the Nigerian drug dealers infest the area, also cluttered with after hour beer bars.

Decent Thais must surely shutter during early morning commutes to work as they observe drunken tourists/expats brawling with ladyboys...

I love Thailand, because I can be Thai, or I can be that stupid Farang, and as long as I am friendly, and kind and approachable I

Have you looked in a mirror lately?

Only people with Thai blood are Thai. That leaves out 99.999% of visitors/expats here.

• Like 1

Hopefully, they'll start clearing out all the vendors on lower Suk. What a mess...

+1 On Lower Sukumvit I usually walked on the street to avoid the single file side walk "gauntlet."

During the day the vendors sell tacky trinkets, ED drugs. mace and brass knuckles. At night the Nigerian drug dealers infest the area, also cluttered with after hour beer bars.

Decent Thais must surely shutter during early morning commutes to work as they observe drunken tourists/expats brawling with ladyboys...

Lancelot agree with you on this one - I also normally always walk on the road also - but I know the stalls are there when I spill dinner on my shirt, need shorts to wear when I swim, or have a craving for som tam (yes, it is something special to me and great for my body).

I would really love to see them put a "stall free" zone behind the stalls on the road (fenced off if necessary from traffic) where people can walk free of pickpockets, beggars and be able to flag down taxis after an blast of a night out. It is about compromise, don't you think?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The street vendors are something that many tourists seem to love. On one hand the nation is pleading, rather unsuccessfully to date, with tourists to come back, and on the other they're removing the sorts of things that make Bangkok so attractive to a large percentage of those that do come here.

Yes they are a novelty, but a dangerous one at that. They force people to walk on the street since there's no room on the sidewalk and since Thai drivers have no regard for pedestrians you put your life at risk everytime you're forced to walk on the street. It's about time!

• Like 1

Have you looked in a mirror lately?

Only people with Thai blood are Thai. That leaves out 99.999% of visitors/expats here.

We are entitled to our opinions, and most would share yours. I have mine and it has served me well. Try mine some time, smile, share kindness, compassion and happiness with those that show it to you and see if it makes your day better and if you can find a sense of belonging. I live part of my year in the south of Thailand in one of the three southern provinces, probably the last place you would expect to feel part of anything.

I have learnt some Yawi and speak Thai reasonably well as a sign of respect that it is my duty to fit in here, not the duty of Thai people to fit in with me. I am not a great fan of what my home country (New Zealand) is turning into anyhow. Thailand suits my needs and wants much better :)

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 2

Get rid of all of them! Pavements/sidewalks should be for pedestrians! Crap food mostly, dirty, noisy and sometimes downright dangerous. Singapore Boring, don't be ridiculous!

Edited by Jimmu

There is a need for some of the vendors, but no blocking the sidewalks and leaving their oil,dirty crap on the sidewalks. I believe they should be set-up in the empty lots and creata bazzars or night markets for them.

Next get the beggars and motorcycles off the sidewalks.

• Like 2

Lancelot agree with you on this one - I also normally always walk on the road also - but I know the stalls are there when I spill dinner on my shirt, need shorts to wear when I swim, or have a craving for som tam (yes, it is something special to me and great for my body).

I would really love to see them put a "stall free" zone behind the stalls on the road (fenced off if necessary from traffic) where people can walk free of pickpockets, beggars and be able to flag down taxis after an blast of a night out. It is about compromise, don't you think?

I admire the street vendors for trying to make a living. I only wish they would respect my wish to walk unimpeded on the side walk.

In Thailand, I see that consideration for others is often lacking. But yeah, its their country and as long as I'm here I must abide by their rules.

Just sayin :)

• Like 1

I agree...street vendors are a part of the culture and a definite attraction here..not just in tourist areas, but everywhere in Thailand and provide a huge number of people with a way to make a living.

Chinatown has been a maze of crowded sidewalks since long before Bangkok became a tourist destination.

About 6 or 7 years ago,an attempt was made to delineate table areas along lower Sukhumvit; lines were drawn and spaces allocated. Unfortunately, enforcement was non-existent and it soon returned to the chaos it is today.

Do you really want Bangkok to be like Singapore? Yes; clean and easy to navigate sidewalks but also sterile and boring. I hope a happy medium can be found.

Around that same time when Bangkok was trying to project the image that it was just as clean and efficient as Singapore, that island city was running a campaign promoting its nightlife and convince tourists that it was just as interesting and fun as Bangkok.

coffee1.gif