A year in Thailand..........

ShaunEdwards9

Hi Shaun

hope you will like it. But unless you are into nightclubs, beer bars and the red light district, I would recommend you choose some other destination. My first visit ever was to Jomtien Beach.

Now I like the North, islands, Nan, Chiang Mai... Rent a motorcycle. Work as a (p.-t.?) teacher if you need some income.

Just saying. Check out other regions of Thailand!

Are you both going to sleep in the same bed in the condo, as I doubt you will get a 2bedder for less than 15,000, ed visa, 20,000, to the school,you av 300,000 between you for 1 year, you will be home in 6 months without a shadow of a doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry guys, I think I have confused you abit regarding the budget, when I said 25k I was referring too that being for our rental alone, not 25k to survive for the whole month all in

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Shaun you will be able to live on 25k pm but you won't be living the high life for sure and you will need a strict budget. Let's say 10k for accommodation and renting a scooter and the rest for food and booze. Please don't come with the impression girlfriends are free. Even the high class girls need jewelry, handbags and Rolexes.

Regarding a job, what do you do in the UK and what qualifications do you have? Be honest and I may be able to point you in a direction.

It will take you three years minimum to get a grip on Thai unless you can already speak another language so that's a non-starter but under current visa rules if you study Thai you can get a one year visa, but that's another expense.

Anyway don't listen to much to all the horror stories you're a young guy with a return ticket so if things don't work out you can always go home.

Hi ATF,

I very much appreciate all the tips/advice there!

I did mean 25k alone for the rental pm being our budget, we will have disposable income too.

Well, I left school and went to college and completed a 2 year national diploma in sports & exercise science, I then I applied for a job in a government department, so over the years I have experience in customer service, for the past 3 years I have been working a project environment.... So brutally honest.... My qualifications arnt 'on paper'.

So where does this stand me in your opinion?

Cheers,

Everyone has a strong opinion of Pattaya - for a reason.

I have travelled a lot, both in the world and in Thailand / SEA and I can say this - Pattaya is by far the most intensive place I have ever been in. It is the fastest growing city in all of SEA and It has almost everything ANY other place in the world can offer - and more - except cold, darkness and snow. Some people can't handle the intensity for very long and they will tell you the place is cursed - But if you balance your daily chores, your life in Thailand and Patts will be as good as you make it and want it to be. Stay true to your dream and don't listen too much to the nay-sayers.

WHAT MAKES PATTAYA FOR ME:

- Crystal Beaches within 30 minutes (Samae Beach Koh Land)

- Mountain Forest with amazing wildlife, 1 hour drive - Perfect for romantic evenings or family barbeques or both

- Fantastic zoo (Khao Kheow) within 30 minutes drive with kids or if you still have that in you (I have...:)

- One of the best carting tracks for amateurs (several, some with telemetry)

- Cineplex with digital screens only for a mere 160-250B/ticket with native english

- First class Food from around the world, half the price you would pay in Europe - or less

- Exclusive Lounges with fantastic and cheap drinks coupled with really stunning views.

- People from all over the world makes for a very international setting

- Any sport you can think of (both indoors and outdoors)

- Sticky rice and Boiled chicken with vegetables and cold water for 40B around the corner

- A nightlife that puts Las Vegas, Macau and Reeperbahn combined to shame

- 90 minutes drive to Bangkok with everything that has to offer

- You can buy a new furnished condo with state-of-the-art interior and 100 meter pool for below 2MB.

- People are happy and it is very easy to talk to strangers

Yes, there are backsides to everything but that goes for Sweden, England and the rest of the world too.

MRYANG I love this post! Makes me miss the place you speaking of all those things!!!

Question if I may...... Is Pattaya the best place in Thailand to experience living.... In regards to a nightlife/workout/relaxing life in your opinion?

Cheers,

Hi Shaun

hope you will like it. But unless you are into nightclubs, beer bars and the red light district, I would recommend you choose some other destination. My first visit ever was to Jomtien Beach.

Now I like the North, islands, Nan, Chiang Mai... Rent a motorcycle. Work as a (p.-t.?) teacher if you need some income.

Just saying. Check out other regions of Thailand!

hi onlycw,

Cheers for the great post.

Must admit I do like all those things you have mentioned, however I like a nightlife/working out/chill balance. When I come over I will only plan on visiting 'walking street' or likewise once or maybe twice a week.

Can you tell me more about Chiang mai? A lot of people have mentioned there to me but I have never been....

Bad decision to move to pattaya , very easy to lose your mind there .

I am very strong minded, I have spent a month there before living the 'tourist life'. Found it very easy and enjoyable. So there's no concerns from me on that front.

• Like 1

Just go do it. Not think too much. Read various topics on this site. All the info you need is there. Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers Benalibina, I wang to go for it, just on here 'swotting' up before I go

When renting a condo, rent on the "Pattaya side". The sun and heat on the other side is unbearable and you will end up with curtains closed all day to keep the sun out and you will also need air con on all day.

Things to do can be different for everyone, try find something and uses up your time. Some options

Walking, take a 2, 3 or 4 hour walk daily or a few times a week.

Running or jogging: same as above and also there is a circuit near big buddah hill in pratamnuk which many people use

Swimming: swim for an hour or two every day

Cycling: The countryside is only a stones throw away and there are some very nice cycling routes that take you around silver lakes, golden buddha, nong nooch and some beaches areas like Bang saray etc. There are some cycling clubs there and always welcome new members

Wind surfing. There is a wind surfing school on Jomtien beach and you can spend many enjoyable hours out in the bay.

Pool: there are pool competitions in Rompho market, Individual tournaments and team competitions with 1 bar against the others in a league. This helps you to get to meet other expats and you will visit different bars regularly

Gyms: in the area and some Condos have Gyms on site also