Second man charged in train murder

Lite Beer

Second man charged in train rape-murder
The Nation

Police have charged a second State Railway of Thailand employee over his alleged involvement in the rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl on an overnight train to Bangkok.

Meanwhile, SRT "women only" carriages will be re-implemented on all overnight trains within 15 days.

Train cleaner Wanchai Saengkhao, 22, earlier confessed to raping and killing the girl. It is expected that forensic and DNA test results will be available in two days to determine whether Wanchai acted alone.

After the interrogation of a 19-year-old train worker by Prachuap Khiri Khan police chief Maj-General Thanes Sunthornsuk, an informed source reported that the teenager confessed that he was drinking with Wanchai when he learned of his plan to attack the girl.

Police charged him with aiding an offender who raped a minor aged under 15 and with giving false testimony to police in a bid to help another person escape punishment. He was sent to Prachuap Khiri Khan Prison yesterday.

This is contrary to a previous report that stated the man had provided useful information during his initial police interrogation and would be a witness.

Police will re-interview other cleaners who worked on the train the day of the murder.

Thanongsak Pongprasert, head of SRT's routes and schedules division, said the second-class women-only sleeper carriage was for accompanying children as well.

A 2001 "Lady Car" project to operate women-only sleeper carriages from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was launched, but it was quickly scrapped on the grounds it was not popular with passengers.

Thanongsak said a ban of alcohol sales at stations and on trains came into effect yesterday.

He said other long-term measures included having railway police guard all overnight trains, getting recruitment companies to ensure SRT workers were qualified and making workers submit to a drug test every three months.

The SRT will also require new employees to undergo a mental-health examination along with a physical.

Signs at Bangkok's Hua Lamphong Train Station announcing the alcohol ban were posted around the station and on all trains.

In related news, deputy national police chief General Pongsapat Pongcharoen said police would soon launch a major drug crackdown on the Nakhon Si Thammarat community behind the railway station and on railway employees identified as drug users.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Second-man-charged-in-train-rape-murder-30238328.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-12

• Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about hiring someone to be on every car whose duty it is to make sure all passengers are safe from violence? How about screening everyone they hire to make sure they don't have a criminal background? How about random drug testing for employees? .

CCTV is also a good option. Most public transport in Europe has it, even on the buses.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 2

One more suspect in girl’s rape-and-murder case detained

Pranburi district police detained a 19-year-old employee of the State Railway of Thailand after investigation revealed he has knowledge to the rape case.

Police said the teenager who worked as a cleaner of the sleeper train admitted to have knowledge of the rape because he was told of by the suspected rapist murderer before committing the crime.

The questioning of the teenager was made at the presence of the police from the Women and Child Welfare Protection Division in Bangkok as he is under 20-year-old.

After the questioning, police pressed charge of supporting other to rape a minor, giving false information during interrogation, and assisting the wrongdoer to escape penalty.

He was later taken to Hua Hin Court by the police for permission to detain him for further questioning.

Police are also looking to detain another colleague who was in charge of cleaning the bed sheet in the train and was suspected of having knowledge about the crime.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-suspect-girls-rape-murder-case-detained/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=one-suspect-girls-rape-murder-case-detained

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-12

How about hiring someone to be on every car whose duty it is to make sure all passengers are safe from violence? How about screening everyone they hire to make sure they don't have a criminal background? How about random drug testing for employees?

The "women only" carriage appears to be public relations band aid in order to cover a much deeper wound. There is a lot more that needs to be done to ensure the public safety.

that's exactly what is in the article. There would be railway police on every night train, background and drug tests on employees,

I am against "women only" carragies. The trains must be secure for everybody.

so if a teenager, an elderly or a disabled is assaulted on the train they are going to introduce special carragies for those groups as well?

or if I decide to travel together with my wife on the night train, should she be the only female passenger in the male carragie?

The question now is what was the level of involvement of this second traincrew?

Was there actual involvement, did he offer advice or encouragement, or was he strictly aware of the assailants intent and failed to act?

BKK post says he acted as a lookout while the rape was committed.

• Like 2

Was there actual involvement, did he offer advice or encouragement, or was he strictly aware of the assailants intent and failed to act?

If that's the case, then the next logical step in the inquiry would be to know whether he assisted in the disposal of the body (or stood guard while this was happening). Though she was probably only a slip of a lass, a deadweight body can be difficult to handle, more so in a confined area.

• Like 2

The SRT will also require new employees to undergo a mental-health examination along with a physical.

Actually, that the whole country(along few thaivisa members) that need to undergo this examination... and asaplaugh.png

• Like 2

Drug tests every 3 months? That's pointless. Drug tests should be random and frequent, much better way of keeping a work place drug free.

Agree but "random" drug tests are seldom "random". The system is very open to manipulation and in a society with rampant nepotism and cronyism that would be even more an issue than in the US.

Cheers

• Like 2

How about hiring someone to be on every car whose duty it is to make sure all passengers are safe from violence? How about screening everyone they hire to make sure they don't have a criminal background? How about random drug testing for employees?

The "women only" carriage appears to be public relations band aid in order to cover a much deeper wound. There is a lot more that needs to be done to ensure the public safety.

that's exactly what is in the article. There would be railway police on every night train, background and drug tests on employees,

I am against "women only" carragies. The trains must be secure for everybody.

so if a teenager, an elderly or a disabled is assaulted on the train they are going to introduce special carragies for those groups as well?

or if I decide to travel together with my wife on the night train, should she be the only female passenger in the male carragie?

The SRT already has a requirement for background checks on prospective employees.

They also have a policy that anyone with convictions is not allowed employment on the Govt run Railway.

As for your wife being the only women in a carriage, there is already that possibility today. As for the scenario of female only carriages, your wife would have the choice to remain with you OR if she is uncomfortable with that she can choose a berth in the women only car, if I understand the policy correctly.

Drug tests every 3 months? That's pointless. Drug tests should be random and frequent, much better way of keeping a work place drug free.

Agree but "random" drug tests are seldom "random". The system is very open to manipulation and in a society with rampant nepotism and cronyism that would be even more an issue than in the US.

Cheers

That would be the problem, we have random and regular drug testing in our workplace, it isn't manipulated but then the system we have isn't rampant with nepotism or cronyism.

SRT has a lot of entrenched problems, and they are going to need a big broom to sweep it out.

• Like 1

as I said above, I firmly believe this was a gang most likely more than two people involved that were preying on innocent girls as they slept on the train, I fully expect there to be more than 2 people involved that took turns on watch as they preyed on victims, I suspected this from a few days ago - it may turn out to be a national scandal on all routes all trains throughout Thailand, I do not believe this is an isolated incident, whether we get to hear the full extent of this heinous crime as the investigation moves forward and other victims come forward is another thing, I also don't think this is the first time murder was involved

I trust my instinct

I suspect the same thing. It would be nice to setup a hotline for victims to come forward and have it promoted on television. It could lead to a dragnet that pulls in many more perps.

• Like 1

Actually, that the whole country(along few thaivisa members) that need to undergo this examination... and asaplaugh.png

Are you suggesting (humorously I assume) that Thais are crazy as well as some TVF members?

Would you include yourself in the TVF crazy club?rolleyes.gif

The police also said that they were investigating why there were no Railway Police on board, although scheduled. So far no news about that, however I think it should be quite easy to find out...the longer it takes, the higher it stinks.

Agreed. It's not often mentioned here that SRT has its own Railway Police force. It's not something new. There has always been a railway police.

The police investigating this really need to find the other two alleged victims, and get more to come forward.

As usual in a horrific case like this, lots of new policies, checks and guards.The cynic in me asks just how many will be operating effectively after six months.

I'd settle for less new initiatives, but effectively operated on a sustained basis.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

About a month ago from Nong Khai to Bangkok, some friends and I got drunk with the police on board in the food carriage.
They were getting hammered on whiskey.

About 8 years ago I got drunk with two of the cleaning guys.

Seems to be normal.

Is being drunk on the job generally accepted? There was an elderly teacher who reeked of booze at 8 am. Seems everyone, students and staff knew about it.

Is this how that's handled over here?

Banning the sale of beer will likely cost a lot of jobs. Will those who like to have a beer bring it onto the trains in brown paper bags?

Instead, they should hunt down Meth dealers. The crazed murderer was not just drunk but also high on Meth, wasn't he?!?

About a month ago from Nong Khai to Bangkok, some friends and I got drunk with the police on board in the food carriage.

They were getting hammered on whiskey.

About 8 years ago I got drunk with two of the cleaning guys.

Seems to be normal.

Yes that has been quite normal.