Why do Thai's give money to beggars?

flyingsaucersarereal

They feel sorry for them thats great but the beggars that are fake don't get to keep the money. So why give money to organized crime? Foreigners give them money too I am not saying we are perfect but a lot of foreigners don't know they are fake beggars Thai people should know better it bothers me when ANYONE gives them money.

Please tell how you can determine which beggars are fake, and which are simply in dire straits.

Maybe if they speak Khymer that's a start.

I don't speak Khymer, but I do speak a little Khmer and it is a good thing, because I am absolutely certain that there are no poor Khmer people here, so I can be sure not to give them anything.facepalm.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the wife and I are in Bangkok,she will walk by many beggers.

But sometimes she will stop and pull out a 20Bt bill and grap my hand.

She takes my hand in hers that is holding the money and gives it to the

begger. I asked her why? She said that one gives power to our heart and

Buddha gives us big smile. And yes,it does make me feel good.

• Like 2

You'll never get through to some of the old stubborn guys on here, they're too set in their ways and intolerant to insight; common sense and reason is too much of a hurdle to overcome, it's much easier to bury their head in the sand and shout "it's my money, F off".

Go to Benjasiri park and watch all the people feeding the pigeons, you think all those flocks of pigeons would be there crapping on my head if nobody fed them? Same principle with beggars and money. The opportunists see an easy buck a mile off.

The ONLY feasible solution for the average guy who wants to help genuine cases, is to give food. In so doing all the frauds would disappear and then we'd see how many real beggars there actually are. My guess is 75% would vanish.

Giving money to beggars when you don't know the person or their circumstances, in any country, is naive and backward and damaging to society, however positive your intentions.

• Like 1

Go to Benjasiri park and watch all the people feeding the pigeons, you think all those flocks of pigeons would be there crapping on my head if nobody fed them? Same principle with beggars and money. The opportunists see an easy buck a mile off.

You don't like pigeons crapping on your head but you still go there?

Same principle with beggars. They aren't leaving town despite all your suggestions, yet you choose to stay.

Beggars are always going to be part of the scenery here whether you help them or not.

What are the monks doing every morning when they comb the streets for donations? Would you not call that begging? Perhaps that's the answer to the OP's question "why do Thais give money to beggars"? It's what they do - it's part of their society and religion.

Edited by tropo

Its pointless to even try to reason with some people the grass is green the sky is blue. No its not! lol ok whatever.

So why do you continue trying to make worthless points, and then complain when people aren't agreeing with you?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Why wouldnt they,i often see the thais offering gifts or money to those who are less fortunate than themselves as i have done in my own country as well as here,but i firmly refuse to any drunk begger who respectfully asks me for money or a cigarette.

As most of us know the thai system is of respect for all and the majority of the thai ladies in particular regularly offer prayers to buddah along with food/flowers so not a real reason to be hungry here in thailand just visit a buddah shrine lol.

As far as the undesirable beggers go then common sense is used to determine whether a gift is offered or not.

On the other hand there seems to be an awful amount of food wastage especially within groups of ladies who consume together,

after filling their bellies a huge amount is discarded.

Thats life i guess.wai.gif