Myanmar refugees nervous about NCPO chief's repatriation order

Lite Beer

Myanmar refugees nervous about NCPO chief's repatriation order

BANGKOK: National Council for Peace and Order chief Prayuth Chan-ocha announced on Friday refugees from nine camps would soon be sent back to Myanmar.

Refugee advocates fear for the safety and livelihood of 130,000 Myanmar people if preparations for their repatriation are bungled.

The announcement was made after a recent meeting with Myanmar Supreme Commander Gen Min Aung Hlaing.

National Human Rights Commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara said the two governments needed to ensure repatriation would be done with respect for the principle of non-refoulement which relates to the protection of refugees.

The principle forbids the rendering of true victims of persecution to their persecutors.

Dr Niran said the Myanmar government also had a responsibility to ensure an adequately dignified livelihood for the returnees.

“They have the right to live and they are entitled to have a say on how they will want it undertaken,” Dr Niran said.

The director of the Asian Research Centre for Migration at Chulalongkorn University, Supang Chantavanich, said more consultation was needed between the governments and the UN refugee agency.

“The most important condition is peace inside Myanmar, the government must ensure that peace negotiations [between the warring ethnic minorities] are successfully concluded so that refugees can return safely and with dignity,” Ms Supang said.

She also suggested that the two countries start a discussion about proper preparation for their safe return, as well as sustainable livelihoods in Myanmar.

Exiled activist Myint Wai of the Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma also expressed concern over the refugees’ repatriation, particularly those who are from Kachin and Shan states as they remained in conflict with the government.
“Eastern Myanmar, especially, is littered with mines. In addition, the growing anti-Muslim sentiment in the country may also affect a number of Muslims in the refugee camps who return home,” Myint Wai said.

He said the Myanmar government has been expecting to gain political support ahead of next year's election and that refugee repatriation, as well as accommodating the migrants’ needs, would be among their priorities.

“While I think positively of the Thai junta, I don’t think the Myanmar junta gets the same legitimacy,” Myint Wai said. "After all, most refugees left their homeland because they were persecuted by the military, so it may not be easy for them to trust the Myanmar military's word when they say they will get the refugees back."

He added that job opportunities will be another issue that affects the refugees when they return to Myanmar.

Members of the European Burma Network in Europe recently expressed deep concern over premature repatriation due to aid cuts, saying reforms in Myanmar, including the peace process, had not progressed to a stage where it is safe for refugees to return.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-13

I assume they do very little in providing for Thailand's labour requirements.

This really is an issue for the UN to mediate and if they are returned ensure they get fair treatment.

Why the UN?

The UN has been making recommendations to both countries for years, and neither has due repsect to listen or take notice.

Isn't it time 'multinational corps' and suchlike placed embargos and limitations which ensure a heed?

I assume they do very little in providing for Thailand's labour requirements.

This really is an issue for the UN to mediate and if they are returned ensure they get fair treatment.

Correct, this has nothing to do with labour or human trafficking. These folks are refugees. They include the Rohingya. And the UN will not be allowed into this bilateral, army-to-army deal. This is a felony and tragedy in the making. The Thai military is known outside Thailand as a peril to all refugees -— and it is the better of the two. Remember that these 130,000 (more actually) fled Burma to get away from the very army that is now going to (cough)welcome(cough) them. This is not going to end well.

He added that job opportunities will be another issue that affects the refugees when they return to Myanmar

Without sounding vindictive:; what about the job opportunities that are taken away from us, because of foreigners.

He added that job opportunities will be another issue that affects the refugees when they return to Myanmar

Without sounding vindictive:; what about the job opportunities that are taken away from us, because of foreigners.

It would be prudent to keep in mind that such illegal immigrant labor requires the complicity of Thai employers who exploit them on a cost basis.

• Like 1

Well, they are citizens. They have the right to be in Myanmar, and citizens can't "take away" jobs, they're not foreigners.

There are a lot of issues and problems here, but one of them is NOT "these refugees will take jobs from Myanmar citizens." They can't do that. They are Myanmar citizens.

If you mean in Thailand, then, again. These people of the story are refugees. They are NOT migrant labour. They are not working. To be in the camps at all, they are barred from working. The man is talking about if/when they go back to Burma, there will not or may not be work for them there.

Following in the footsteps of Aust.....They have finally started sending the refugees back, who jumped the que....good on you General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Thailand has enough problems to contend with at the moment, without them arriving.....

Great to see all the right decisions still coming from both him and his officers.....thumbsup.gif

Taking jobs away from thais ? unemployment is very low in Thailand & the Burmese do jobs that Thais generally do not want. Why do Thai employers use them ? because they are cheap and actually have a work ethic unlike Thais......

My house maid is Burmese and an excellent conscientious worker. She has a working visa for Thailand, to be employed at my house. This week we took her to Chonburi, then the local Amphur to renew. Absolutely no problem, all completed in one afternoon.

I would like to know which camps they are talking about.

I believe that they aren't talking about Rohingya camps, but about other ethnic minorities like the Karen who have had camps for over 20 years along the border. The government of Myanmar and the UN are saying that it's safe for many of those people to return, but I'm sure there are stills serious risks.

Right, there was that mass exit of Cambodians pretty recently. And basically, lots of people on Thai Visa were trying to say that they should all be allowed back into Thailand again. And indeed, all those who were illegal workers in Thailand, well, get them registered, and let them back in as legal workers.

So, right now, we have a large number of Burmese people, people who don't really want to go home to Burma. Well, how about letting these people fill in application forms, and they now become 'workers with documents' in Thailand ? They will only be sent home to Burma IF they cause problems in Thailand after becoming legal workers here in Thailand. Surely, a lot of them will be doing the same jobs as the Cambodians, jobs that Thais will only do if the pay is double or more.

Why allow a large number of Cambodians into Thailand, and have them as cheap labour (they're cheap compared to the Thais), and NOT allow Burmese ?? OR, how about having all the cheap, foreign labourers removed from Thailand.

Things are changing in Burma, slowly but sure, all refugees should be repatriated when the conditions are right, My suggestion of the UN taking a role in mediation was that it speaks for most of the world and it ability to put in monitors, also it has the power to impose sanctions assuming that china does not veto, in return Thailand should be offering work permits for certain skills by region.

Any refugees should be nervous about anything a Thai says or promises about their future. They have good reason to be nervous. Thais, in general, are not trustworthy, especially in arrangements with foreigners.

I would like to know which camps they are talking about.

I believe that they aren't talking about Rohingya camps, but about other ethnic minorities like the Karen who have had camps for over 20 years along the border. The government of Myanmar and the UN are saying that it's safe for many of those people to return, but I'm sure there are stills serious risks.

This has been in all the newspapers and on many internet sites. They are the well-known nine Burmese refugee camps. Yes, the Rohingya are part of this repatriation, but they are not in camps, per se.

post-52815-0-39365100-1405315673_thumb.j

Things are changing in Burma, slowly but sure, all refugees should be repatriated when the conditions are right, My suggestion of the UN taking a role in mediation was that it speaks for most of the world and it ability to put in monitors, also it has the power to impose sanctions assuming that china does not veto, in return Thailand should be offering work permits for certain skills by region.

The UN has asked/begged/demanded to be involved for many, many years. It has no authority unless it is permitted. The UN has no power to impose sanctions. What sanctions could it impose? It doesn't trade, it doesn't govern. The UN does what its members tell it. If members of the UN want to sanction, they pass a UN resolution about it, but the UN itself can't enforce it.

These people are refugees and have NOTHING to do with working or work permits. Adding that to the already long list of problems is just asking for more trouble.

Edited by wandasloan