Thais need more work and language skills for AEC, experts say

webfact

AEC
Thais need more work and language skills for AEC, experts say

Thiranat Sucharikul
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The need for Thais to equip themselves with professional and language skills is growing significantly, as Thailand is set to become a part of the Asean Economic Community next year.

The need was highlighted at the "Wake up Worker" event hosted by the Labour Ministry late last week.

It aimed to review, evaluate and prepare Thailand for the upcoming merger into an Asean community.

The event also marked the launch of Happy Talk AEC, a phone application capable of translating all Asean languages plus Mandarin.

Developed by the ministry, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation and the Thai Federation on Logistics, the app looks set to facilitate basic communication among Asean peoples and cut problems of miscommunication.

But even with such an app, Thais needed to be well prepared in their skill sets, both professional and language skills, particularly English, said Tanawong Areeratchakul,

an executive from Siam Cement Group.

They also need to change their mindset to be more aware of international perspectives.

"Even in SCG, only three out of almost 300 wanted to work in other Asean countries," he said.

"Because we're skilled at what we do, we tend to have the feeling of being the 'elder brother'.

"However, when we have to go work with people from different countries, we have to keep our minds open. When working with others, this [feeling of being the 'elder brother'] becomes our constraint," he said.

It was necessary to prepare both offensive and defensive strategies in regard to the AEC, he said.

Using SCG's regional preparation as a basis, he asked people to keep three questions in mind in order to determine what underlying direction Thailand is heading in so that it can improve its labour force.

The three fundamental questions are "What is Thailand's competitive landscape?", "What brand does Thailand want Asean to perceive her as?" and "How can we overcome potential friction?'"

Student attitudes need to change

Noppawan Chulakanista, general manager of JobsDB Recruitment Thailand, said the attitudes of students must change, because Thai students are now seen as not as proactive as their foreign counterparts as they stick only to their comfort zone.

"Thai students want a higher education without fully understanding what the current market is looking for," she said.

Chokchai Suttawet, a lecturer at Mahidol University, said students believe that by earning a higher degree, they are building up their "grade" within society.

Fresh graduate Haripan Wongsuwan said foreign students are more hardworking and confident in expressing their opinions.

If Thais want to become a real part of the AEC, they must learn more about the people.

"The more I researched [about them], I realised that we may have better learning skills [than they do] but we are lacking in work ethic," he said.

When Thais adopt an Asean citizen frame of mind they will be truly ready for the AEC with a valuable and efficient workforce.

"We need to help each other in creating something like a new giant country, with 10 countries in one," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thais-need-more-work-and-language-skills-for-AEC-e-30238411.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-14

• Like 1

"When Thais adopt an Asean citizen frame of mind they will be truly ready for the AEC with a valuable and efficient workforce.

"We need to help each other in creating something like a new giant country, with 10 countries in one," he said."

I'm all for Thais learning English and getting a broader liberal arts education for the sake of self enlightenment, but never for the sake of commercial enterprise and an absurd ASEAN citizen's role in the greater scheme of some power monger's plan.

Here in Phuket most of the local English language fm radio stations are, currently, off air. One exception is relaying 'Radio Thailand English Language (RTEL)' programmes for most of the day. Generally, the English spoken on these programmes is abysmal. Presumably RTEL will only employ university graduates as their broadcasters.

On the other hand pop into virtually any bar and you'll find young ladies with the most basic of Thai education virtually fluent in English, with a fair number fluent in Swedish, German, Italian etc. It'll only be a matter of time before Russian and Chinese (which ever version) joins the list.

With Thai people who skate thru school passing every class even though they have not learned anything.

With Thais inability to be creative, innovative, or willing to try seeing or doing things unlike what they have been taught it is going to be a long road to making Thais a constructive part of the ASEAN community. Going to school and getting higher degrees does not mean they even understand what they were supposed to learn.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'd agree with your statement, education is something you learn, not buy.

Kerry

There are some cultural changes that need to be made. One is this concept that Thais are superior to people in other ASEAN countries. Work ethic is another. The world economies do not rely upon Thailand. The false perception generated through various ministries that Thailand is the hub of everything has to stop. Thais need to learn how to respect other people of other nationalities, especially in business. This means being on time, getting projects or tasks completed on time and accepting accountability for work not done well or not done at all. I think Thais don't really understand what accountability is and this starts with the education system. The time is soon coming when Thai graduates will be competing with other ASEAN graduates for the good jobs here in Thailand. For example, the English among staff and management of the big international banks here is appalling, so much so, they have real difficulty communicating with branches in other countries and with home office. (My wife is a banker) I think Singaporeans will be filling a lot of bank management slots now held by Thais because of language ability and work ethic.

• Like 2

After reading all the comments on this subject , one can only arrive at a conclusion that Thailand is thirty years too late , once again I hammer home the importance of good education standards and education excellence , an understanding of international curriculums and standards, otherwise you will be the same in fifty years time ,though I won't hold my breath. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Here in Phuket most of the local English language fm radio stations are, currently, off air. One exception is relaying 'Radio Thailand English Language (RTEL)' programmes for most of the day. Generally, the English spoken on these programmes is abysmal. Presumably RTEL will only employ university graduates as their broadcasters.

On the other hand pop into virtually any bar and you'll find young ladies with the most basic of Thai education virtually fluent in English, with a fair number fluent in Swedish, German, Italian etc. It'll only be a matter of time before Russian and Chinese (which ever version) joins the list.

"virtually fluent in English, with a fair number fluent in Swedish, German, Italian"

Maybe compared to the strange version of pidgin English uttered by native English speakers and adopted by other nationalities in ordering the beer and organising the nocturnal activities.

"We go eat, I very hungry"

"You go with me?"

"What your name?"

"Where you go?"

"Where you stay"

"My name Peter, I from England"

Pathetic.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Having an 11 year old child in education here, I can only comment upon the gusto in which her school has entered into the Asean spirit.

The school has been absolutely flat out in educating the children about the Asean nations.

But only for the last 6 months, when all of this Asean thing has been in the pipeline for more than 15 years to my knowledge.

Cake Monster post # 22.

Having an 11 year old child in education here, I can only comment upon the gusto in which her school has entered into the Asean spirit.

The school has been absolutely flat out in educating the children about the Asean nations.

But only for the last 6 months, when all of this Asean thing has been in the pipeline for more than 15 years to my knowledge.

Agreed, however how many other languages than Thai have been used?

The window display is faultless, however when ones enters the shop there is no stock nor substance to matters.

• Like 2

Left till last minute again,they better start learning NOW,or they

are going to be left behind,by Vietnam,Cambodia and Burma.

regards Worgeordie

From what I see in Myanmar staff I have had they are on the same par as the Thais, cue vacant look and no thought process often.

In the most basic sense, Im not talking University educated I mean at a very basic common sense level.

Today one of our banana plants got blown over, snapped in half, I told the staff to get some stick under the ones likely to fall and the one that had fallen was to be cut down completely.

I came back later and they had propped up the broken one with a stick and ignored the others unbroken but about to break completely.

The tree they propped up was already a gonner as it had snapped in half.

No thought at all, no " oh look some of the others are leaning a lot too maybe we should prop those up"

They wait until it falls down then attempt a fix.........on just that plant only.

are you hiring illegals?????

Edited by diehard60

Left till last minute again,they better start learning NOW,or they

are going to be left behind,by Vietnam,Cambodia and Burma.

regards Worgeordie

From what I see in Myanmar staff I have had they are on the same par as the Thais, cue vacant look and no thought process often.

In the most basic sense, Im not talking University educated I mean at a very basic common sense level.

Today one of our banana plants got blown over, snapped in half, I told the staff to get some stick under the ones likely to fall and the one that had fallen was to be cut down completely.

I came back later and they had propped up the broken one with a stick and ignored the others unbroken but about to break completely.

The tree they propped up was already a gonner as it had snapped in half.

No thought at all, no " oh look some of the others are leaning a lot too maybe we should prop those up"

They wait until it falls down then attempt a fix.........on just that plant only.

are you hiring illegals?????

Nope this is what our previous staff told us, they are Myanmar and said its EASY to get into Thailand with NO papers as the border officials get paid off by the BUS load regularly.

I k now Thais who hire illegals for 5 k a month no passport no nothing

Fortunately my child is attending a school that is also educating her in English and Chinese, which is taught by native teachers from the relevant countries.

Not only is English the working language of the Asean nations, but it is the working language of the whole world.

You can travel all over this planet, and will hear English spoken in every country to varying degrees, but not so many speak Thai, and this is a fact that I continually remind her of.