Thai brothers emerge as billionaires with CP Group stakes

webfact

Thai Brothers Emerge as Billionaires With CP Group Stakes

By Netty Ismail

BANGKOK: -- Dhanin Chearavanont was known for years as Thailands second-richest man. As the chairman and public face of Charoen Pokphand Group, the countrys largest agricultural company, Dhanin was credited with a $12.3 billion fortune for managing his familys interests in more than a dozen publicly traded companies, including a Thai mobile phone operator and the countrys 7-Eleven chain.

Regulatory filings with the Stock Exchange of Thailand show his lesser-known older brothers are also billionaires and share in the familys wealth. Dhanin, 75, and his siblings Jaran Chiaravanont, Montri Jiaravanont and Sumet Jiaravanon have almost equal stakes in Charoen Pokphand, according to the filings. The brothers -- all of whom spell their last names differently -- each have a net worth of more than $2 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Dhanin is the star of the group, Yupana Wiwattanakantang, associate professor at the National University of Singapores Business School, said by phone. He built it up. His brothers are not very well known, even in Thailand.

Dhanin is the fourth son of Chia Ek Chor, who started the business as a seed shop in Bangkoks Chinatown with his brother in 1921 after arriving from China. Because its unusual for Dhanin as the youngest son to head a Chinese family business, sharing the fortune helps maintain harmony and unity, Yupana, who teaches a course on family businesses, said.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-13/thai-brothers-emerge-as-billionaires-with-cp-group-stakes.html

-- Bloomberg 2014-07-14

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rich because most people don't mind eating sub-standard crap. C**P.

If you eat fresh pork or chicken in Thailand you have a better than 50% chance that its produced by CP. Their business is much wider than just 7/11 and the CP branded food you see. They produce pork and chickens on their farms then either sell it fresh or process it into the CP branded products, they then sell it through the retail outlets which includes the 7/11's and the Makro chains which they own. They also export major quantities chicken to the EU and is big in fresh water shrimp.

CP virtually control the entire supply chain of dozens of products from farm to plate for millions of Thais, as well as numerous sectors besides agribusiness they are dominant players in (mobile phones, retail, insurance, etc). They are the biggest foreign investor in China, and are spreading their influence quickly in several other Asian nations. That they have achieved such a monopoly position in Thailand is not just testament to their business acumen, but it testifies to a ruthless ambition to dominate and ability to play the system with the state on one side and market on the other. Oh yes, and did I mention, they are now able to virtually write significant areas of Thai agricultural policy to their benefit. Any surprise they are so wealthy? rolleyes.gif

But not sure what is with this subtle difference in surname of each brother? Is that something Sino-Thai cultural linked, or more to do with a tax or business competitive advantage I wonder? Never some across it before, so interested to hear any (informed) opinion on this odd phenomenon (which presumably applies to Thai and English language spellings?) sad.png

This whole article probably comes about because the main brother isn't the top guy for wealth anymore. But if they tot up the other 3 combined they are.

How can it be that these shareholdings emerge? No one knew about it before?

Obviously the family is not managing the Business. Whoever is managing is doing a great job business wise. In the last year CP group also purchased Macro from the Brits and have improved the stores and products.

".........purchased Macro from the Brits ." Nope, from the Dutchmen.

• Like 1

These are the kind of people, the so called rich, elite, ammart who actually keep the country running while the politicians dither and fill their own pockets.

Don't see a problem with people who have built businesses up from nothing or very little and achieved success, sure there is a certain amount of ruthlessness involved but there are those out there who will also try to tear anyone down particularly in the early stages.

But there of Chinese origin, not Thai, so what, they have taken the risks and come out on top and they are not the only ones in this country there are many more, read the topic on Thai business working in France, there are many in other parts of the world also.

The country needs people to build and operate Thai owned business it cant rely solely on Japanese car makers and other such overseas companies.

CP virtually control the entire supply chain of dozens of products from farm to plate for millions of Thais, as well as numerous sectors besides agribusiness they are dominant players in (mobile phones, retail, insurance, etc). They are the biggest foreign investor in China, and are spreading their influence quickly in several other Asian nations. That they have achieved such a monopoly position in Thailand is not just testament to their business acumen, but it testifies to a ruthless ambition to dominate and ability to play the system with the state on one side and market on the other. Oh yes, and did I mention, they are now able to virtually write significant areas of Thai agricultural policy to their benefit. Any surprise they are so wealthy? rolleyes.gif

But not sure what is with this subtle difference in surname of each brother? Is that something Sino-Thai cultural linked, or more to do with a tax or business competitive advantage I wonder? Never some across it before, so interested to hear any (informed) opinion on this odd phenomenon (which presumably applies to Thai and English language spellings?) sad.png

This whole article probably comes about because the main brother isn't the top guy for wealth anymore. But if they tot up the other 3 combined they are.

How can it be that these shareholdings emerge? No one knew about it before?

They aren't actually. Chirathivat family are, and have been for 3 months. ;)

I am sure its also been of huge benefit the fact that foreigners are prohibited from having any controlling interest in either land or any business. Democratic Thailand in action here.

Perhaps, but they also have a huge business in Indonesia, so it's not all down to trade protection within Thailand.

well you're right, but this is the free market in operation. At least the 7/11 chain in Thailand has competition and increasingly so and they do provide a great service to the customer. I guess for the 7/11 potential franchisee, if you don't like the deal, then open your own store.

I'm in the Philippines and outside Manila there's a crying need for a similar service and it just doesn't happen, which is partly why tourist numbers are so low here and partly why people are so poor. No free market operating in the Philippines and the rich take the piss out of the poor to mind boggling extremes. Everything is monopolised here and hardly anything works.

What the OP fails to mention is that "these fine, mega-rich, upstanding citizens have, in fact, destroyed 10's of thousands (if not 100's of...) of poor, starry-eyed farmers by implementing their monopoly in a very aggressive manner... And as for 7-11 franchise owners, it costs: buy your own shop ( or rent), 3 M baht up front for training and " insurance", owner pays: utilities, labor, breakage, theft, security, and spoilage, AND CP collects 46% of NETT profit for the next 10 years. IF they don't like the profits within a certain period, you'll be shut down. The money machine keeps chuggin' along for them. I don't buy any of their products or services... At least I TRY to avoid them....

well you're right, but this is the free market in operation. At least the 7/11 chain in Thailand has competition and increasingly so and they do provide a great service to the customer. I guess for the 7/11 potential franchisee, if you don't like the deal, then open your own store.

I'm in the Philippines and outside Manila there's a crying need for a similar service and it just doesn't happen, which is partly why tourist numbers are so low here and partly why people are so poor. No free market operating in the Philippines and the rich take the piss out of the poor to mind boggling extremes. Everything is monopolised here and hardly anything works.

What the OP fails to mention is that "these fine, mega-rich, upstanding citizens have, in fact, destroyed 10's of thousands (if not 100's of...) of poor, starry-eyed farmers by implementing their monopoly in a very aggressive manner... And as for 7-11 franchise owners, it costs: buy your own shop ( or rent), 3 M baht up front for training and " insurance", owner pays: utilities, labor, breakage, theft, security, and spoilage, AND CP collects 46% of NETT profit for the next 10 years. IF they don't like the profits within a certain period, you'll be shut down. The money machine keeps chuggin' along for them. I don't buy any of their products or services... At least I TRY to avoid them....

Competition from whom?/ technically no foreign entities are allowed in retailing. They also have Makro which means they represent a massive wedge of retail space in the Thai market.

• Like 2

Dhanin Chearavanont

Jaran Chiaravanont

Montri Jiaravanont

Sumet Jiaravanon

Same family four different spellings of their name?

Thai family with Chinese parents.

I'm thinking none of them knew the Roman alphabet, until they had all spelled it a different way.

Then they were all too important to back down and agree one spelling, when they found out.

I can just imagine,

"You change, no you change, etc."

Isn't it 'funny', just today, CPF officially came out with a big denial press release, ...after a report was published by the Thailand Information Center for Civil Rights and Investigative Journalism told '...an Agri business company...' (no names given or visible) '...has been found paying journalists as part of its strategy to influence mass media to keep its image positive' (my info can be cross-checked on the 'other paper''s site)! You're not named (libel in Thailand...) in some dirty affair, but you, at once, go to the press to deny having done anything like that... LOL! Bad, stupid, communication, or this new(!) Chinese proverb: when a man attempts to put out a small fire on the courtyard by throwing a big bucket of petrol over it, maybe he wants the high flames to hide the barn which has caught fire behind. LOL!

Obviously the family is not managing the Business. Whoever is managing is doing a great job business wise. In the last year CP group also purchased Macro from the Brits and have improved the stores and products.

".........purchased Macro from the Brits ." Nope, from the Dutchmen.

And, nope, again, it's (only) the Makro license for Thailand CP bought, Dutchmen ain't dumb!

Isn't it 'funny', just today, CPF officially came out with a big denial press release, ...after a report was published by the Thailand Information Center for Civil Rights and Investigative Journalism told '...an Agri business company...' (no names given or visible) '...has been found paying journalists as part of its strategy to influence mass media to keep its image positive' (my info can be cross-checked on the 'other paper''s site)! You're not named (libel in Thailand...) in some dirty affair, but you, at once, go to the press to deny having done anything like that... LOL! Bad, stupid, communication, or this new(!) Chinese proverb: when a man attempts to put out a small fire on the courtyard by throwing a big bucket of petrol over it, maybe he wants the high flames to hide the barn which has caught fire behind. LOL!

Hahaha. Absolutley classic. I mean how anyone with a brain can sit there and have anything to say about foreign agribusiness, but believe that CP isn't the problem but part of the solution in Thailand, is beyond me.

• Like 1