Nikon D810

^^ It's the excitement, creates abnormal strength in a person. It'll soon wear off leaving only "Oh, this damn thing's too heavy, my back hurts, MJP was right I should have got the A7r".

LOL @ Funnybugga....I mean "skinny mike with the inverted biceps".

It's slightly bigger in demeanour than the 300.

They wife has branded it "Her new boy, quite but packs a powerful punch".

will see the chiro, next week ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ It's the excitement, creates abnormal strength in a person. It'll soon wear off leaving only "Oh, this damn thing's too heavy, my back hurts, MJP was right I should have got the A7r".

will see the chiro, next week wink.png

You need one of these . . .

58ab18ee-7137-4834-b417-0fadfc687777_NTI

OK...you got the battery grip...that's good. You have the bazooka too...nice...
and with the BG...well balanced. Now...find a good screen protector for both
the rear & top LCD's....you don't wanna scratch em. I recommend GGC...they're
made from tempered glass...very much unlike the Nik ones that are made of
plastic which scratch easily. And since you love the missus dearly ND...spend a
few tiny dollars and get an eyecup for the viewfinder. She'll love you for it in
return and she won't have to squash her face against the rear LCD and ruin her
makeup! The GGC LCD protectors should cost around 20 USD or thereabouts
and the eyecup somewhat less. For the eyecup there's heaps of turd party makes
out there that are really quite good...and then there's Niks....

Hello Dad,

Australia can be frustrating. Can't find screen protectors, her 300s has them, but we picked them up in Thailand when we got home.

Australia is like being in the burbs......hick, bit benawk.....country bumpkins etc etc.

Please send GGS via Emirates Business class & I will buy you lunch when arrive in Sydney. :P

Already have Niks DK-23.

[attachment=276642:image.jpg]

ps: not much chance of me scratching anything, I'm still only allowed to play with the box & I got into strife for touching the manual.....I'm off to play with rocks in the garden cya.

I can't see that. Are u being nasty to me :(

I can't see that. Are u being nasty to me sad.png

Like this . . .

614Hxq6lUlL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

ND...You mean one like this????
attachicon.gif000214989.jpg

I really like the camera box on the back Sunny, I hope it's padded out with all the top material & humidity controlled.

When u miss the shot & get the shits.....everything is at hand, so to speak wink.png

Actually that's a 12 pack Eski on the back...camera goes round the neck.....wink.png

• Like 1

Amazing Camera the D810...... I personally haven't seen anything like this before. Nearly every shot taken on it is followed by several minutes of staring at the back monitor admiring what the camera has recorded.

So far, about several hundred frames along the road, I can report no problems with the Camera whatsoever, if anything, I would go as far to suggest that Nikon have something very special with this offering.

I wouldnt consider buying unless one has some of the very best glass available in their kit & I can see some more financial pain coming as the purchase of this camera is brewing deep down desires to buy some more expensive fast primes......one of the beauty's of shooting Nikon IMHO, is there is such a fine selection of glass......one just needs to part with the $$$$ to get it.

At Sunshine's advice we are off to test the 58mm f/1.4 this morning.......I'm not sure whether I should slap him or run him over or both. :P

Amazing Camera the D810...... I personally haven't seen anything like this before. Nearly every shot taken on it is followed by several minutes of staring at the back monitor admiring what the camera has recorded.

So far, about several hundred frames along the road, I can report no problems with the Camera whatsoever, if anything, I would go as far to suggest that Nikon have something very special with this offering.

I wouldnt consider buying unless one has some of the very best glass available in their kit & I can see some more financial pain coming as the purchase of this camera is brewing deep down desires to buy some more expensive fast primes......one of the beauty's of shooting Nikon IMHO, is there is such a fine selection of glass......one just needs to part with the $$$$ to get it.

At Sunshine's advice we are off to test the 58mm f/1.4 this morning.......I'm not sure whether I should slap him or run him over or both. tongue.png

They don't have to be wildly expensive. Look at the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art. Both also have HSM AF drive.

• Like 1

At Sunshine's advice we are off to test the 58mm f/1.4 this morning.......I'm not sure whether I should slap him or run him over or both. tongue.png

They don't have to be wildly expensive. Look at the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art. Both also have HSM AF drive.

Nikkor have also a 50mm f/1.4 which is not that expensive (actually about 25% of the price of the 58mm) but I have the opportunity to see the difference between the two, which I am told is significant.

The wife doesnt own any third party lenses and if she did it probably wouldnt be pleasing price point wise ;)

I will check out your recommendations. As it stands, IMO, the only thing that will let the D810 down is if either a fool like me takes hold of it or a piece of glass not up to standard is bolted to the front of it.

Hows that Sony going?

Nikkor have also a 50mm f/1.4 which is not that expensive (actually about 25% of the price of the 58mm) but I have the opportunity to see the difference between the two, which I am told is significant.

The wife doesnt own any third party lenses and if she did it probably wouldnt be pleasing price point wise wink.png

I will check out your recommendations. As it stands, IMO, the only thing that will let the D810 down is if either a fool like me takes hold of it or a piece of glass not up to standard is bolted to the front of it.

Hows that Sony going?

It's light, which is making the tog hobby much more enjoyable than even that Pentax heavy stuff.

Sigma Art are coming way above the Canon and Nikkor offerings of similar focal length and speed. Seriously, the 35 Art is one of the best fast 35's out there right now and the 50 Art is not far off the Otus in resolution. Definitely worth researching.

^

Thankyou mate. Im not buying today, like always, researching the product is half the fun. I will check them all out.

Im glad you are happy with your Camera, thats the most important thing at the end of the day.

^

Thankyou mate. Im not buying today, like always, researching the product is half the fun. I will check them all out.

Im glad you are happy with your Camera, thats the most important thing at the end of the day.

I'm still agonizing over this Leica Summilux 35/1.4 FLE and desperately searching for user reports as to whether it will work on the A7r. Some say yes. Some say no.

The Zeiss FE 55/1.8 is stunning. Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

^

I'm still agonizing over this Leica Summilux 35/1.4 FLE and desperately searching for user reports as to whether it will work on the A7r. Some same yes. Some say no.

The Zeiss FE 55/1.8 is stunning.

You sound like me with my audio. We are doing the same things with our equipment. 55555

Life is too short to drink bad coffee young M ! ;)

Test drove the 58 f/1.4 on the 810 this morning, just a few shots around the warehouse....... Mmmmm very nice indeed.

MJP will be happy to see it converts the Ford Falcon into a Mini CoperS.

Managed to pick of a few other lenses as well ;)

[attachment=277040:image.jpg]

:P :P :P

• 2 weeks later...
Sunny,

My friend In Thailand replaced his D700 on the weekend with the D810, he's gobsmacked..........

I'm waiting for your review now.....get ur wallet out, they're available, apparently.

My wife has nothing negative to say about the camera, nothing at all.......I'd repeat some of favourite things but basically it's the package.

I've knew you were waiting to hear stuff but so far everyone I speak to just says good things, better than good, excellent reports.

Time to get ur coins out, I will be interested to hear your review. Run along, Camera is available in LOS, apparently !
  • Like 1

^^^ ND...I got the loose change...just waiting for me old mate Norman to

arrive mid November with my 810. Yes...I have, of late, not heard one single

uttering of anything bad about Niks new "best thing ever". I would like to

have it right freakin now but...being a patient man...I can wait. Ole Norm

is also arriving with a new D4S....which is getting the same type reviews as

the 810 is getting! Frankly...the D4S has many of the same features as

the 810 has...coincidence? I think not. It appears I will now be putting up 3

Niks for grabs come mid November...700, 800, 800E. They've all been very

good...however...when it's time to do a massive upgrade it's time to do a

massive upgrade. It will be my last upgrade though. Thank all the Gods

there's no glass involved.

I take it that your missus is having a ball with her 810?

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely.

I'm still not allowed to touch it, so I can't really comment personally but she's wrapped with it. The other body isn't doing much these days.

She loathes Nikon Capsule NX-D. Terrible, pathetic.

Our friend in Bkk is doing backflips over his. lol.... I think he's selling his D700.

There really are other things that demand our money. I'm done with lenses. Enough already. The bathroom needs a refit and I might have enough left over for that Rattan set I've been after for the past decade.

• Like 1

There really are other things that demand our money. I'm done with lenses. Enough already. The bathroom needs a refit and I might have enough left over for that Rattan set I've been after for the past decade.

Good boy. Get to it.

I will probably only really 'need' 1 new lense in the next 10--15 years. I might end up buying two.

Enjoyment that comes from the purchases will come down to just a few satang per day over the enjoyment period. One can barely measure the cost.

My wife's old camera body is just over 5 years old, let's round off and say it was 2000 days, during which time it fired off many hours of fun and enjoyment, not to mention a couple of paying jobs, at most it ended up costing us $1 per day. Each day it gets used, some days it takes a few hundred shots, other days it takes just 1 or 2. Dividing that dollar by shots really slices that dollar into cents. HOWEVER, the camera is still working and more enjoyment is yet to come........it's almost a give away when it comes down to it & if I really wanted I could sell it to put money towards the next camera.

Most people pisssss or smoke more $$$$ in tobacco in half an hour, we don't. This really is quite a cheap hobby in some respects, not the cheapest, but far from the dearest.

Make sure you post a picture of the bathroom upgrade ;)

ND...AV Camera lists the D810 for 109,900B body only.

The grip, MB-D12 is listed at 13,500B.

The rough Baht to USD rate is 31.960 as of

0300 NYT today. You do the math...

At roughly 3800USD for body & grip in BKK

this makes the 810 rather pricey. I hope your

friend was able to get his cheaper unless he

didn't mind the change hitting his back as he

left the shop with his new camera.

That's why I'm waiting till Norm arrives...plus

there's now a D4S involved and since AVC wants

209,000B...it's not that far off the mark from 6500

USD but....one cannot beat 6300 USD instead.

Just FYI this nfo laddy!

ND...AV Camera lists the D810 for 109,900B body only.
The grip, MB-D12 is listed at 13,500B.
The rough Baht to USD rate is 31.960 as of
0300 NYT today. You do the math...
At roughly 3800USD for body & grip in BKK
this makes the 810 rather pricey. I hope your
friend was able to get his cheaper unless he
didn't mind the change hitting his back as he
left the shop with his new camera.
That's why I'm waiting till Norm arrives...plus
there's now a D4S involved and since AVC wants
209,000B...it's not that far off the mark from 6500
USD but....one cannot beat 6300 USD instead.
Just FYI this nfo laddy!

I didn't ask him the other day, but originally he told me 108-109k baht. I didn't ask about the grip.

Not much price difference from the Aussie one really.

The Aussie price is around $3590 AUD & the grip was $360 or something, around $3900 AUD in total.

Wife reakons it was the best money she's spent in ages.

Anyway, nothing wrong with waiting and saving a few baht. I've always found buying more expensive Nikon gear cheaper in other places.

I will stand by for your review.....but I've only heard good things, except MJP friends report.

Too heavy. Too big. Times are changing. Watch Sony at Photokina.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Heavy. Perhaps.

Too big. Nonesense. One of the reasons many photogs attach the battery grip to cameras such as this is to allow for easier handling when bigger zoom (or large primes) are attached to it.

Recently I tried to handle the Bazooka (Sunnys word) on the Camera without the grip, I soon realised it was much easier with the grip attached.

There's people out there MJP that couldn't give a damn about what Sony is doing at Photokina. ;)

Arnt Sony producers of cheap stereo equipment and ice makers OR is that Cannon? :P

There's people out there MJP that couldn't give a damn about what Sony is doing at Photokina. wink.png

Arnt Sony producers of cheap stereo equipment and ice makers OR is that Cannon? tongue.png

You might want to look at this link and possibly re-think Sony and what may be announced at Photokina !

http://petapixel.com/2014/07/29/rumor-nikon-planning-release-camera-featuring-sonys-50mp-medium-format-sensor/

Not ignoring also the fact that Sony provide the Nikon D810 sensor  (Sensor Manufacturer: Sony IMX094AQP)

Maybe a lot more people "give a damn" about Sony than we give credit for.

Touché  (LOL)  biggrin.png

Edited by fimgirl

Heavy. Perhaps.

Too big. Nonesense. One of the reasons many photogs attach the battery grip to cameras such as this is to allow for easier handling when bigger zoom (or large primes) are attached to it.

Recently I tried to handle the Bazooka (Sunnys word) on the Camera without the grip, I soon realised it was much easier with the grip attached.

There's people out there MJP that couldn't give a damn about what Sony is doing at Photokina. wink.png

Arnt Sony producers of cheap stereo equipment and ice makers OR is that Cannon? tongue.png

Sony are the producers of some of  the most innovative camera equipment over the last couple of years (RX1, RX100, A7x); and Canon is the company that has not introduced anything of interest for a long, long time. Rumours for Photoklna include an upgrade the the very long in the tooth 7D from Canon (yawn); and a camera with a curved sensor from the cheap stereo equipment company.

• Like 2