Just Curious...

ThaiGal

I had a very old fashioned girlfriend. I could not hold her arm, I could not hold her hand in public. I could not put my arm around her shoulder. She used to tell me that in my country only prostitutes walk with man like that. Well it really hurt because I relly loved her very much and I wanted her to hold her so much and actually didn't care what the world thought. But I never held her close in public because she didn't want it so in Thailand. It was okay elsewhere though.

My wife is like this. We were chaperoned for 2 years of our engagement and now married for 6 years. When in LOS, the most contact in public is holding hands - rarely. Kissing - NEVER! Touching hair - NEVER! Arm around her/me - NEVER! Even when carting our kids around with us. Not because of what people think - she couldn't give a Monkey's Butt - but because this is what is acceptable in her country. In the UK its OK as long as we are not with Thais. When with Thai friends in the UK - we have many - LOS rules apply. My wife is very middle class, with a middle class upbringing and a military father - rules are rules.

I once saw an old Chinese-Thai shopkeeper (old woman) shooing a German couple away from her shop front in BKK; they were kissing. She shooed them off and muttered after them in Thai and Chinese about the bad luck they brought her shop, how discusting they were and why could they not control themselves!

I had a very old fashioned girlfriend. I could not hold her arm, I could not hold her hand in public. I could not put my arm around her shoulder.

My wife is like this. We were chaperoned for 2 years of our engagement and now married for 6 years. When in LOS, the most contact in public is holding hands - rarely. Kissing - NEVER! Touching hair - NEVER! Arm around her/me - NEVER!

Well.. I think old-fashioned is the key-word indeed. Not saying that's good or bad, but for sure times are changing. Me and my girlfriend are pretty much average in this sense when I compare with young Thai couples. So holding hands or a hug or arm around her waiste/shoulder is totally okay. Basically anything short of full on kissing in public, but a 'goodbye' sniff/kiss is fine.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I am 65 my wife 20 years younger never feel uncomfertable when we are out I have to Thai stepchildren girl 19 and boy21 when I go out for a beer with the boy get concerned that other farangs might think I am a homosexual possibly because I dislike faggots but live with it so when you se a happy old guy with a young girl or boy remeber they could be family.Its only from farangs you get the funny looks

PHIL

• 4 weeks later...
I am 65 my wife 20 years younger never feel uncomfertable when we are out I have to Thai stepchildren girl 19 and boy21 when I go out for a beer with the boy get concerned that other farangs might think I am a homosexual possibly because I dislike faggots but live with it so when you se a happy old guy with a young girl or boy remeber they could be family.Its only from farangs you get the funny looks

PHIL

Yep, pretty much a non-judgemental race of people. One of the reasons Thailand was never colonized by a foreign power. Plus, having a strong monarchy helped too.

PHIL

Phil, you are da man!

Nice one

Bash

Who cares what others think, if you are happy, enjoy

Sonthaya, you too are dee man!

People, keep it real, don't kiss in public don't make public displays of affection, it ain't in Thai culture so don't insult Thai people by doing it.

Keep your hands on your wrists where they belong and you will be ok

Bash

PHIL

Yep, pretty much a non-judgemental race of people. One of the reasons Thailand was never colonized by a foreign power. Plus, having a strong monarchy helped too.

Ok we wont talk about the Burmese and the Janpanese....

Bash

Who cares what others think, if you are happy, enjoy

Sonthaya, you too are dee man!

People, keep it real, don't kiss in public don't make public displays of affection, it ain't in Thai culture so don't insult Thai people by doing it.

Keep your hands on your wrists where they belong and you will be ok

Bash

And a lot less trouble too. :o

Old Farang/Young Thai woman?

Actually, I was visiting Jomtien Beach with my wife and stepson last weekend and noticed quite a few Farang/Thai couples that were obviously families with kids/stepkids tagging along. What I really noticed about these couples were that the age difference between the men and the women wasn't really that great.

Admittedly, this was not a scientific survey, but I wonder how many mixed couples have a really big age difference? Thai women tend to look much younger than they are, especially to western eyes, and I think that some people tend to think that the average age difference is much greater than it usually is. A casual onlooker would probably guess that my wife is 10 to 15 years younger than I am, but the actual difference is only 5 & 1/2 years.

PHIL

Ok we wont talk about the Burmese and the Janpanese....

Bash

you fishing again bash???

I lived in Bangkok for many years back in the 80s/90s. My Thai wife used to go to school at night, and I would take care of my 8 year old stepson. We used to live near Panthip Plaza, and often I'd take him there for dinner. Back then there weren't many Farang in Prathunam at night so everything was cool. But one night there were two rather ugly large drunk American blokes at S&P while we were eating - giving me dirty looks. I really didn't get it until my son went to the bathroom and one of the guys called me a "dirty f*$*#ing pedophile."

These guys probably would have killed me if they thought they could have gotten away with it.