Crackdown: D-Day to begin Thursday on Thai traffic violations

webfact

"He said the crackdown Thursday will target only at 199 intersections because police did not have sufficient manpower to regulate every intersection nationwide.

Of the 199 problem intersections, 90 are in Bangkok and have generated the most complaints.

Three intersections also were targeted in 18 different provinces, including Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chon Buri and Phuket."

Very obviously not enough police in this country, or those carrying out their duties to the full, at least.

would be nice to stop the cars with NO license plate or those made inficibel

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When the crackdown starts in Pattaya I will be convinced that this is a real change for the better

Crack down, Crack down, not your Elephant size crap down. bah.gif

No mention about wearing a helmet?

Oh, that's allowed in Thailand .....

A Thai with no helmet -- no problem.

A foreigner with no helmet = ka ching!!

That is nonsense. They will shake down their own nationality as readily as any other. How did you come to this conclusion?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What about speeding and clearly marked speed limits on all thoroughfares and sois?

Speed limit signs are badly needed on all roads. I was driving on one road (Route 36?) where my GPS gave the speed limit as being 110 km / hr. A little later, I glanced at it and it showed my speed in red. It had detected that the speed limit at that point was 80 km / hr but there was no indication whatsoever of a change in the speed limit so it was telling me that I was speeding. Similarly, when leaving Pattaya on Sukhumwit Road, there is no indication as to when the speed limit changes from 80 to 110!

Alan

• Like 1

What about speeding and clearly marked speed limits on all thoroughfares and sois?

Speed limit signs are badly needed on all roads. I was driving on one road (Route 36?) where my GPS gave the speed limit as being 110 km / hr. A little later, I glanced at it and it showed my speed in red. It had detected that the speed limit at that point was 80 km / hr but there was no indication whatsoever of a change in the speed limit so it was telling me that I was speeding. Similarly, when leaving Pattaya on Sukhumwit Road, there is no indication as to when the speed limit changes from 80 to 110!

Alan

Since no one sticks to the speed limits it would be a waste of time and cut down the BIB '"wages'"

Highway 7 between Sri Racha and Banglamung intersection. Nearside lane has been so damaged by overweight lorries that I will not use it. Driving along in the middle lane yesterday at the max speed limit I was overtaken many times by cars and minibuses in the left hand lane which does seem to be illegal in Thailand. One of the vehicles which passed me on the left was a police car.

• Like 1

Yippee, a crack down at last. Can't remember, when was the last one?

A crackdown???? I will not believe this until I see or hear of anyone in my Province getting done for driving without a licence, or some parents moaning because the army or police have confiscated their motorbike because their ten year old son/daughter was riding it.

Iike I said on another thread, Thailand is not just Bangkok, or Phuket etc etc. Upcountry is plagued with unlicenced drivers and underage children riding motorbikes. No wonder there are so many fatalities on the roads upcountry etc.

• Like 1

How bout fining parents who don't have any regard for the safety of their young kids,babies and the like,by not giving them helmets while carrying them in precarious positions on motorbikes.absolutely disgusts me seeing that.

You haven't mentioned all those ten year olds riding motorbikes. That's what disgusts me.

• Like 1

Yippee, a crack down at last. Can't remember, when was the last one?

But notice the most glaring omission, they don't consider running/jumping red lights too much of an infringement, stopping over the line is taken more seriously.

How about a police officer taking bribes more than 5 times for letting traffic violators off are fired?

How do you crack down on that, or monitor it?

I believe all the suggestions here should be backed up with how to do it with the existing recourses.

Not just throw around some wish lists.

"Can any one give me a list of the correct road rules in Thailand in English? I have been told one must give way to the left,but this just does not work on a round-a-bout."

In Thailand you only need to give way if the vehicle is bigger than you or driving crazy.

A sensible question gets asked, and you reply with what....stupidness. The answer is, true, here it is give way to the left, I assume they copied the US way forgetting they drive on a different side of the road. Unfortunately I have on my PC, somewhere between Thailand and Australia.

Alan

This is the way some police think...one of the "commanders," on Phuket, said you have your license, you should know what speed you should be doing... a fool.. yes.

199 intersections countrywide. they don't have enough police officers for more.

How many police officers do they have in Thailand, only 199?

The rest are looking after their investments,gambling dens,prostitution, drugs, harassment, etc.